JS Watch Company - 1919 Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JS Watch Company - 1919 Watch

Person looking for Iceland Brand JS Company one for sale on Trademe at present second hand .

trademe auction 2701808517

Comment

The person--I think Kronos?--would probably need to weigh that up with the risk associated with the seller .... https://www.timekeeper.co.nz/forum/m...five45-or-5-45https://www.timekeeper.co.nz/forum/m...five45-or-5-45
      On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

Yes I saw that but thought I would let him know .
        Pity because I went to Iceland last year so a year to late .

Comment

• Don
          Don commented
          Editing a comment
          Must have been wonderful, gdj. I hope to visit Iceland one day

I have been to all Scandinavian lands other than Greenland . Was in USA visiting daughter and was going to visit son in Netherlands where my family came from . Flight went through Iceland so planned 3 days there .Iceland Airlines left me stranded over in USA
        for 24 hours at the Airport with nothing more than a sandwich and a coke and I missed a glacier tour and hotel already paid for and was not impressed by Reykjavik which is bland . Iceland is beautiful and rugged but so is New Zealand . Would prefer going back to Sweden , Denmark or Norway again . My opinion only and my other Scandinavian trips were done in 1978 when I was a young man and now I`m older and more cynical . But go for it if its on your bucket list . I did get out on a bus tour Called the "Golden Circle tour" which was nice .
        Last edited by gdj; 18-07-20, 21:00.

Comment

i wonder what Kronos did for a living there for all those years ?

Comment

Originally posted by gdj View Post
            I have been to all Scandinavian lands other than Greenland . Was in USA visiting daughter and was going to visit son in Netherlands where my family came from . Flight went through Iceland so planned 3 days there .Iceland Airlines left me stranded over in USA
            for 24 hours at the Airport with nothing more than a sandwich and a coke and I missed a glacier tour and hotel already paid for and was not impressed by Reykjavik which is bland . Iceland is beautiful and rugged but so is New Zealand . Would prefer going back to Sweden , Denmark or Norway again . My opinion only and my other Scandinavian trips were done in 1978 when I was a young man and now I`m older and more cynical . But go for it if its on your bucket list . I did get out on a bus tour Called the "Golden Circle tour" which was nice .
            Thank you for sharing, gdj. Hope that your adult children are keeping safe during these challenging global situation.

I do think we travel, not only to see the world, but also that we might just glimpse the place we call home with renewed appreciation. For my partner and I, our overseas trips during 2019 were not without glitches, but we're super glad we had taken them. With international boarders closed now for nearly four months, those places have been spots we revisit frequently in shared daydreaming
            On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

Just to clarify it I was born in Auckland , New Zealand to two Dutch parents . So NZ is my home and I love it . I toured Europe for a year in 77/78 also visiting the the homeland of my parents and my large Dutch family .
              My ex wife took my children to the Netherlands many years ago where my son still lives and my daughter is now happily married to a nice american guy and lives in New Jersey . I attended my grand daughters first birthday in the USA and
              had a wonderful time and then went to the Netherlands to catch up with son and surviving family and had a wonderful 9 days there. 28 degree days , wonderful food and beautiful scenery . i do recommend the Netherlands .
              My adult children and now two grand children in the USA are fortunately safe and well thank you . I was lucky my trip was not this year as my sister and husband had planned . Where did you go ?

Comment

Wonderful, gdj, and all together, I think that was well worth going through the airline mishap and sandwich-coke diet challenge ...You obviously have a lot more life experience under your belt than I do. In 1977, the biggest milestone in my life was probably potty training (I think..I don't actually remember )

To get back on topic though, I'd love to hear your personal perspective on how New Zealand men's preference and taste in watches have changed over the decades (70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s). Just from your own view based on what you see on men's wrists around you perhaps. Do you think the progression was similar to those in other Western countries, or was there something different or unique about the watches Kiwis liked? Thank you in advance.
                Last edited by Don; 19-07-20, 23:43.

Comment

My early watches were cheap watches that I do not even remember the names of . Mostly would have been Automatic . To poor or mean to buy a decent watch . I worked in the Post Office Lines Department for over 30 years and knocked watches around doing line work and trenching but they seemed to survive .Plain analogue work horses. My father was given a Seiko Duo-Display alarm Chronograph in the late 1980s which was considered a good dress watch and survived till a few years ago when stolen in a break in at my place after his passing .Was given to him after 25 years at Alcan and was engraved . My watch collecting is a much later hobby and I like divers styles mostly Seiko and one Tissot and Wenger and automatic , quartz or Solar The younger generation do not wear watches much having mobiles but my older friends do , My manager wears Longines and other friend Tissots . Smart watches have taken over for all ages groups . As we get older we can afford to indulge in nicer things . There is a group of men and women who appreciate a nice watch to wear when going out . People whom would would feel naked without a watch . Do not have much experience with trends in Europe other than what I seen on watch forums and google . Seems to be a lot of smaller brands popping up as in Iceland so seems to be a healthy market out there . I think we in NZ are influenced by overseas trends such as with Seiko divers of all vintages . Is there a NZ style maybe a good honest work quartz horse like Olympic or Seiko and Casio .Opinions please ?

Comment

Thanks, gdj!

...My father was given a Seiko Duo-Display alarm Chronograph in the late 1980s which was considered a good dress watch and survived till a few years ago when stolen in a break in at my place after his passing .Was given to him after 25 years at Alcan and was engraved...
                    Sorry to hear about your father's watch. Do make sure the police report at the time details the stolen Seiko, as you or someone out there might come across this watch someday. You've been our member for quite a number of years, and I'm wondering whether you know we have a sub-forum to post about watches we have lost? See... https://www.timekeeper.co.nz/forum/w...stolen-watches

Please be aware, though, that our forum, including this conversation topic is open and public, i.e. like we're posting the words up in the town square for the world to see. So do use caution when posting personal information that might identify you to anyone out there.

...Is there a NZ style maybe a good honest work quartz horse like Olympic or Seiko and Casio .Opinions please ?
                    I'm not sure if any of us has ever thought about NZ style, but there New Zealand watch company selling "NZ-themed" timepiece. The most well-known is the Auckland-based boutique brand Magrette. Here is one I had many years ago...

However, their watches are not entirely made in NZ, and if they were a packaged food item, the label would probably say "Packaged in New Zealand from imported products." This is actually the same for the JS Watch Company of this topic, so yeah, I have no idea why JS has to cost that much ...In my personal view, "honest" implies being clear, transparent, and authentic--to be oneself, without pretension. By that very definition, boutique and micro-brands, who often obscure and misrepresent their parts sources and suppliers, are more a place to look for style, rather than honesty.

Also, I don't think Magrette has a quartz model. I could be wrong.

Olympic markets their watches in Australasia, but to my knowledge, are Asian-owned [correction as per comments below: NZ-owned]
                    . The watches are manufactured somewhere in Asia. We had a discussion about them in the early days of the forum (discussions were popular back then ...sadly, Tapatalk killed it ). See... https://www.timekeeper.co.nz/forum/w...-pete#post1869

Olympic would make a good beater, but because they are budget range watches, they compromise on quality to maintain the low price. So, while tough and durable, the mediocre quality makes them feel less special compared to other watches you own. We have heaps of Seiko on Timekeeper, so feel free to start a new topic to garner suggestions from others here, based on criteria you set. A small number of us own a variety of Casio--just use the Search box on top of the page, type in "Casio", to find them.

Artemis12 has a small heard of rare vintage Casio, Tempus has a couple of historical landmark G-Shocks, LeroyC has a few I remember, kiwi.bloke has a rock-star-worthy Full Metal Square, and I currently have two Casio in my box. Other than those, you'll find honest hard-working watches from Citizen (Eco-Drive means "what battery?"), and further afield, you'll find tough and affordable mechanical watches from Orient and Vostok. The latter you'll find plenty of examples on TKNZ using, again, the Search box above.
                    Last edited by Don; 22-07-20, 00:40.

Comment

• Horos
                      Horos commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Don, cant agree with your comments re. Olympic - they are NZ owned, the best value for money ,well made, and with the best back up service of any brand. The quality is as good as any middle of the road Asian or Swiss,for a lot less money. Casio comments - well they are the best of the digitals, but once the guarantee runs out you are on your own, no service back up,no parts supply (even straps).I dont know how they get around the Consumers Right Act with such poor service, but it means it is not advisable to buy dearer models if you want a long life from a watch.

• Don
                      Don commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Horos, thank you so much for the chiming in, and for the correction. "to my knowledge" is apparently outdated, and correction has been noted in the above post. Yes, Olympic is now a New Zealand-registered, so technically is Kiwi-owned. I’d like to respond in full, so please see a few posts down.

Never did put on the Forum the missing watches . No great loss financially as they were cheap and found again on Trademe .. Had 6 stolen but police did recover two because I`m anal and had serial numbers recorded which they found at a local shop during a routine check . Other than my fathers was also a Seiko solar Chronograph and a early Pepsi Seiko Quartz divers watch which was the start of my collection brought off Trademe and several Astina. dive watches . Astina was also a New Zealand branding I believe but several other brands around the world used the same running gear and still do ? .Olympic is based in Penrose I believe and the ones I had had great lume and good style . Baaz or something like that was a brand retailed in NZ with Swiss running gear I believe . Some maybe Baaz and Astina should be there with Olympic . I must admit I like my Astina`s and found them reliable with good presence . Being a year off the pension I do not really gel with digital watches so no smart watches but admit to owing the updated Seiko Pepsi Arnie but no Casios other than a 200m duro dive watch I found cheap and nasty and flicked off sorry to say . . I think this forum is the bees knees and anyone into watches should be a member . More opinions on NZ styles and influences re watches .

Comment

• LeroyC
                      LeroyC commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes that's correct re Olympic. The brand was for sale a few years ago and looked like it might fold or be swallowed up by an offshore company before being essentially bought by Precision Watch Co (or one of their partners I think). They are still what I'd consider a 'budget' or 'value' brand and their entry level stuff is pretty basic, but they do make some quite nice models that are well put together and I'd recommend them over jeweler brands like Astina.

Originally posted by Horos
                    Don, cant agree with your comments re. Olympic - they are NZ owned, the best value for money ,well made, and with the best back up service of any brand. The quality is as good as any middle of the road Asian or Swiss,for a lot less money. Casio comments - well they are the best of the digitals, but once the guarantee runs out you are on your own, no service back up,no parts supply (even straps).I dont know how they get around the Consumers Right Act with such poor service, but it means it is not advisable to buy dearer models if you want a long life from a watch.
                    Horos, thank you again. Your view of their watches definitely comes from a place more qualified than mine, as you have been in the industry, and have most likely, over the years, handled and repaired hundreds of Olympic watches. New members who aren't familiar with Horos should give greater weight to his comment than mine, and not only he, but other watchmakers have said similar things (again... https://www.timekeeper.co.nz/forum/w...-pete#post1869). Your perspective on both Olympic and Casio also reminds me that mainstream retail watch buyers face certain challenges that I and other enthusiasts sometimes forget about.

Regular buyers have limitation on both the choice pool of watches accessible to them, and require greater after-sale service and support. You are right about Casio leaving you "on your own" being detrimental for mainstream retail customers. For enthusiasts, we routinely import gray-market Seiko from Singapore, brand new JDM Seiko with Japan-only warranty, and new Chinese or Russian watches, accepting that we are on our own from pretty much when the watch landed. I sold my Olympic 200m Quartz in 2009, as a bonus watch to a used Tissot Le Locle, and looking back at 2009, a non-watch person would compare a sub-$200 Olympic to other sub-$200 watches sold in NZ.

However, people like us in 2009 would be thinking what NZ$200 would buy us from overseas (no import duty at the time): a Citizen Promaster Automatic 200m NY2300, a Promaster Automatic ISO-Diver's 200m NY0040, an Orient Automatic 200m "Mako", and for ~NZ$225, a Seiko Automatic Diver's 200m SKX007. So, when I said that Olympic were rugged but only passable in quality of fit&finish, it is to these watches that I bench-marked, and of course, would not be what the mainstream layperson would have the option to do. On part of the Olympic watches themselves, I would agree with your view when taken from the mainstream perspective.

The reason that I initially wrote that Olympic is "Asian-owned" was because, when I did the sales listing for my 200m Quartz in '09, I did a considerable amount of research on the brand. It was for a self-serving reason haha ... as I wanted to entice buyers by stating that Olympic was either a Swiss or New Zealand brand ...but eventually, I concluded at the time that I could claim neither I found an Internet reference to the holding company that manufactured Olympic, but didn't capture that information and, unfortunately, can no longer find it online. It gave the name of the holding company, based in Hong Kong or Taiwan, though I cannot recall exactly.

Actually, the Olympic that I research was Olympic Swiss Ltd., which imported and distributed Olympic-branded watches into NZ until 2012, when it went into voluntary liquidation and closed down ( https://www.propbd.co.nz/u-the-names...y-2012-part-2/ ). The current importer of Olympic states on their website that the former Olympic Swiss Ltd had been in business since 1972, but no reference could be found on the web to support this claim, just a copy&paste of the same paragraph everywhere. So, I still don't know what to think. I remember though that, around 2012, there were big clearance sales among Olympic stockists around NZ, and I was very tempted to buy the 300m Quartz Diver that had been discounted to $199--regret til this day that I didn't. There were also rumours at the time that the Olympic brand was closing down for good.

The current distributor of Olympic is an altogether different entity, Olympic Swiss Watches Ltd., and was only established in 2012 ( https://app.companiesoffice.govt.nz/...3736222/detail ). Their G425320 industry classification means only import and retail of watches, not manufacturing nor assembly. Because the watches are exactly the same as those sold by the former Olympic Swiss Ltd, I can only assume that the watches are being produced by the same offshore supplier. It all seems rather opaque, don’t you think?

Back to Casio you certainly have a valid point. I have a feeling that the vast majority of current Casio, along with most post-2000, models are designed like how our mobile devices are, i.e. with a short finite lifespan of, maybe, a decade. Perhaps it's a trade-off most of their buyers consciously accept. One way out could be to opt for models that have been in production for a long period of time with the same module, case, and straps. An example is the Casio DW-290 that Robert Mueller wears, which has been made continuously since the mid-1990s.

Image source: Alex Wong, Getty Images North America

There's also the odd Casio that are very long-lived, like my 35 years-old "Heavy Duty" 300m DW-3000C aka The Tank from 1985, its only year of production.

Despite looking like it has been to a war zone , everything still works well. My other Casio is a G-Shock 35th Anniversary DW-5035D, and I hope to live to see it turn 35 in 2054

Now to gdj...

...Astina was also a New Zealand branding I believe but several other brands around the world used the same running gear and still do ?...
                    gdj, Astina seems to be an inexpensive fashion brand, like Leroy commented above. Most that I've seen use Citizen Miyota quartz movement, so the same running gear, and yes, lots of other brands use Miyota movements. The modules themselves are dependable, but the watches are not manufactured by Citizen, so quality would differ between brands that house these movements. I have limited personal experience with Astina--got an old one that came in a watch lot purchased many years ago, worked fine with a new cell, and gave it away soon after.
                    Last edited by Don; 22-07-20, 01:17.

Comment

This has been a great read guys !!!

The new tank is totally awesome Don!!!! I will add a few more bad boys from the short lived Casio Hd series Click image for larger version  Name:	84-casio-catalog-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.1 KB ID:	60202 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1510_zpsxp4vzykj.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.5 KB ID:	60201 Click image for larger version  Name:	20200707_195035.jpg Views:	0 Size:	34.6 KB ID:	60200
                      Last edited by Artemis12; 22-07-20, 13:21.

Comment

• Don
                        Don commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank you, Artemis12.

My Astina had a Seiko Quartz Movement .

Comment

• Don
                        Don commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, that would be possible too. Time Module Inc. (TMI), now owned by Seiko, have been selling Seiko quartz movements to other brands since the late-80s. The modules are usually signed "TMI".
                    Working...
                    X