Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waywof - 18 September 2020

happy Friday everyone.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200918_072755.jpg Views:	11 Size:	56.1 KB ID:	61863

Originally posted by Artemis12 View Post
    happy Friday everyone. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200918_072755.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	61863
    Hope that one has a couple of hundy water resistance, cos it is dam wet here today.
    'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!

Comment

• harlansmart
      harlansmart commented
      Editing a comment
      wet here too... which means we're about to get wet, tigermantis reunion from lunch, hagwe kiddies

• Artemis12
      Artemis12 commented
      Editing a comment
      Good call Hammers!!! Just checked the case back bar rating. Thank God I did!! it's rated for executive toilets and champagne splashes only, so government approved

• harlansmart
      harlansmart commented
      Editing a comment
      'it's rated for executive toilets and champagne splashes only, so government approved' - A12

lolz

Speaking of water...need to get this one and maybe 4 others in collection pressure tested. Rather than spending $40 per watch at my local, does anyone actually own their own pressure tester? If so, any recommendations? Seems like it would be worth it in the long term

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200918_092339.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.7 KB ID:	61867

Comment

• Don
      Don commented
      Editing a comment
      Just my 2c in that, if you were to get a pressure test done at all, it's best to get it done professionally, where someone could be held accountable for the outcome. It's also not just about the pressure-testing process, but opening the case backs, inspecting the existing gasket or O-ring, replacing if necessary, before doing so. Often times, an experienced professional can see things that we can't.

Another thing is that traditional "water test" kit that a few of us may have should really be done without the movement inside first. Only if there are no leaks found, should a second test be done with the movement cased up. A large repair centre use an "air test" inside a vacuum chamber, and is done without removing the movement, so the watch doesn't actually get wet. This is actually a quick and inexpensive process, and if you have five to be tested, you should definitely "negotiate"

Lastly, I personally see these small easy-money jobs that I can potentially DIY (pressure-test, battery change, etc.) as a way to build relationship with my watchmaker. It's a way of rewarding them with my patronage, so that every time they see my face, it's not just the difficult time-consuming favours. In this hobby of ours, we need watchmakers who we can trust, and in treating them with courtesy, we can see whether the courtesy is reciprocated and we have our man, or we need to take our money elsewhere. I have been extremely fortunate, everywhere I am in the world, to find honest and competent watchmakers help me with my watches--the right one are indispensable, and these "little jobs" are my way of finding them.

• retlaw4
      retlaw4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Really well said, Don. I was referring to just the simple air test with the movement inside. The place I go currently always takes my watch away to do this however, so it's frustrating to have to wait a week for such a quick job - hence why I was entertaining the idea of buying a machine myself.

I get that the simple air test is not 100 percent fullproof (as I've read on many forums) but it seems to be all I need for piece of mind to at least be able to bath any of my non-dress watches after each wear. Yes I clean my watches daily :D

Looks like I'll go in and negotiate
      Last edited by retlaw4; 18-09-20, 13:44.

• Don
      Don commented
      Editing a comment
      retlaw4, the air test vacuum chamber are very expensive, so I doubt any of us has one ...Not foolproof in that If the watch fails an air test, you still need to conduct a water test to locate the leak. Also, certain watches may not pass an air test, even when they are water-resistant and pass a water test.

Re "wait for a week", I think this is unfortunately the same "wait for 2-4 weeks" for an overhaul that actually takes only a few hours accumulatively. Not many customers would be happy if a 5-minute job costs $40 This is the part where the relationship comes in.

The second Eulit strap of the two I got has been living on the Big Zero for a while, very comfortable and gives it a something of a more modern look as well.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

G

Comment

• Scouser
      Scouser commented
      Editing a comment
      Loving that 'Big Zero'......Iconic Russian watch.....

• Gauss
      Gauss commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Scouser - I'd say that your 3133s (I think you have both a Sturmanskie and Okean?) are right up there with it though! Those are both Russian grail-level for me.... one of these days I'll sort myself out with one

Im going to get wet.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0156.JPG Views:	19 Size:	100.2 KB ID:	61872
    'Man Invented time, Cyma Perfected it.'

Comment

• harlansmart
      harlansmart commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice watch Pete.

• cyma
      cyma commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks,,, Name puts alot of people of but they have Quality movments and keep bloody good time.
      Last edited by cyma; 18-09-20, 16:47.

• NINCA
      NINCA commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome! some history and stories in those scratches

Plenty of MSTeams meetings today, so little need for water resistance (although this one does have 10bar). Enjoy your weekend all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200918_111633.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	61874
    'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!

Comment

• Scouser
      Scouser commented
      Editing a comment
      Elegant timepiece right there, love Tudor

• Hammers
      Hammers commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. My wife likes this one also, for herself, due to the champagne dial. Fortunately at 39mm it is a tad too big for her, as is the original tudor strap and deployant, which for me works perfectly with the dial and case.
      Note for self / question - why do so few watch manufacturers supply with fitted curved leather straps

Originally posted by retlaw4 View Post
    Speaking of water...need to get this one and maybe 4 others in collection pressure tested. Rather than spending $40 per watch at my local, does anyone actually own their own pressure tester? If so, any recommendations? Seems like it would be worth it in the long term
    Problem is they are not cheap, and don't get used at home much, Samantha says her tests are probably $50 each now, her cost, she has owned 3 types, a SEIKO destruction-less electronic, then standard Horotec/Bergeon models, this is the one she use's now, BERGEON No 5555

Sammi likes this type of model, as it quickly identify's where a (possible) problem is, it's mostly the glass gasket she says, itself more affected by UV than crown, pusher, caseback gaskets whatnot, thats what she says, anyway.

You could always ask Karen from Facebook, seems to be the go-2 pro these days, seems to be who most people rely on when mission critical decisions need to be made.

PS: Someone tell Huey to stop raining.

Click image for larger version  Name:	bergeon.5555.pressure.tester.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	70.0 KB ID:	61897

Name:	z7lrk2241ec31.jpg?auto=webp&s=34d8a33524e89b1f759bf885a9fe90871505b0b3.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	61900
    Harlan
    Timekeeper Watch Club
    New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

• retlaw4
      retlaw4 commented
      Editing a comment
      When you say "not cheap" are we talking $1000 NZD+?

• Don
      Don commented
      Editing a comment
      Harlan is the most experienced of us all when it comes to pressure test. He, like the old TAG Heuer ads, doesn't crack under pressure

Tgif

Comment

• psyched
      psyched commented
      Editing a comment
      Bugger me those are just about perfect!!!

Here's one dedicated to the Orient Emperor, Tony Lewis, just in case he happens to drop by today ...Back in the '00s, before watch collecting was a thing, Tony not only shared his love for Orient with the international watch community, but also put New Zealand watch enthusiasm on the map.

ORIENT "WEEKLY AUTO" King Diver 21 (1967)

Japanese dive watch history didn't start in 1965, and it didn't start with the 62MAS. For sure, the 62MAS was a mile stone, but many other of Japan's best got wet and deep before (and after) the 62MAS was conceived. Though Seiko opened the arena in 1961 with their first truly submersible sports watch, the Seikomatic SilverWave 50m, which remained in production until 1965. The arrival of Japan's first true diver's watch was also the end of Seiko's sports diver/swimmer offerings.

Not many know that, prior to 1965, if one wanted maximum depth rating in Japan, it was Citizen that ruled the waves. From 1962-1965, the deepest-rated Japanese diver was the Citizen Jet "Auto Dater" 120m, and from 1965, when Seiko offered either 62MAS or nothing, Citizen "Seven Star" 100m came in as many different variants and colours as we find in Promaster today. Some, like the Seiko SilverWave before them, were internal-bezel divers with even a few twin crown, Super Compressor-style, cases. From 1964, another popular maker of sports divers in Japan was Orient, with their long-running King Diver line ( https://www.timekeeper.co.nz/forum/w...rient#post1236 ).

This particular specimen that I am wearing is from 1967, and is the 6th vintage Orient King Diver that I have owned over the last decade. It is a transition model from the 2nd Generation "Weekly Auto Orient" AAA 30j King Diver to the 21-jewel Cal. 1942 that equipped the King Diver until 1970. The in-house Cal. 1942 was originally based on the design of the Seiko Cal. 7625 17j, introduced in 1964. You can see that this piece has a smooth bezel, while nearly all other AAA King Diver versions have fluted bezel.

Chuckling over the name "Weekly Auto Orient"? ...Yes, it is a funny name ...To get a perspective on this, we need to remember that, during the mid-1960s, a Day complication was not yet mainstream. We may not think much of the Day wheel today, but during the 60s, it was both a selling point, and something many manufacturers charged more for. Omega--one of the world's best large-scale movement manufacturers of that decade--did not have a caliber with Day until 1967.

In Japan, the very first Seiko 5 (1963) was a success, thanks largely to having a Day feature. Even as late as 1970, Grand Seiko Day-Date (6146) retailed for more than a Date-only GS (6145). In 20th Century watch-speak, "Calendar" is Date, and "Weekly" is Day, so it made sense for Orient to have called their King Diver "Weekly Auto Orient".
    Last edited by Don; 18-09-20, 14:26.
    On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

• harlansmart
      harlansmart commented
      Editing a comment
      Here's one dedicated to the Orient Emperor, Tony Lewis, just in case he happens to drop by today...

Back in the '00s, before watch collecting was a thing, Tony not only shared his love for Orient with the international watch community, but also put New Zealand watch enthusiasm on the map.

↑↑↑↑↑↑ This ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

With the dad and siblings of tigermantis

This is yours Pete,

(Yeah, I drank half, so you know, nothings changed)

Comment

• LeroyC
      LeroyC commented
      Editing a comment
      Swashies? Empire?

• harlansmart
      harlansmart commented
      Editing a comment
      de Post, Mount Eden

Pretty much everyone was wearing PK's watches lol !!

I'm sure this needs no introduction

Name:	image_6943.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	61912

Comment

• harlansmart
      harlansmart commented
      Editing a comment
      Feedback = SOLID watch, reliable, efficient movement + legible AND GMT = Good Piece

Excellent range of time pieces today everyone have a fantastic weekend Seiko sbbn001 to finish off my day

Click image for larger version  Name:	Seiko 7c46-6009 ashtray sbbn001_070227.jpg Views:	0 Size:	34.9 KB ID:	61919

Comment

Working...
    X