Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strap suggestions for yellow dial watch please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strap suggestions for yellow dial watch please...

As the title says, I'm looking for any ideas for a good strap for my Seiko 'Vulcan' chrono. I've had it from new in 1989, still have the original hair-puller bracelet and have tried a few different straps but none seem 'just right' for it. 20mm lug width
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Seiko_Vulcan01s.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	64353

I have this strap which is close to what I like, but maybe a bit thick or the yellow stripes don't quite work?

Name:	seiko001a.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	64355

So, any ideas? Let's hear some thoughts - cheers

Attached Files

I have pretty much that colour combo on my divingstar Doxa.

Name:	IMG_20200604_131234.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	64358

I think the yellow edges work the best, but yes the ones on your watch might be a little strong.

What sort of material are you after? Rubber? Leather?

Comment

• Artemis12
      Artemis12 commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks awesome too

To be fair I think your strap looks great as is but if it was me, I would try something like these ( minus the purple)

Name:	9049219_fpx.tif?op_sharpen=1&wid=500&hei=613&fit=fit,1&$filtersm$.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	64365

Name:	2-040-03-0195_1_.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	64366

Comment

Originally posted by retlaw4 View Post
      I have pretty much that colour combo on my divingstar Doxa.

I think the yellow edges work the best, but yes the ones on your watch might be a little strong.

What sort of material are you after? Rubber? Leather?
      Wow - loving that Doxa. The strap looks great with the yellow stitching, but I'm not a fan of a kevlar or carbon fibre look on a strap.
      I don't mind either rubber or leather, if the look is right.
      Last edited by muttley; 22-12-20, 18:43.

Comment

Originally posted by lepo76 View Post
        To be fair I think your strap looks great as is but if it was me, I would try something like these ( minus the purple)

Name:	9049219_fpx.tif?op_sharpen=1&wid=500&hei=613&fit=fit,1&$filtersm$.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	64365
        Now that's more like it - that strap looks great, but as you say, without the purple colour underneath. Any idea where I could get one like this? I guess I can start hunting some of the strap sites I know.
        Was kinda hoping harlansmart might chime in with a suggestion, he seems to have a good eye for watch/strap combos.
        Cheers.

Comment

Nice 7A38 you have there, muttley. I envy you ... While you're waiting for Harlan, I'll add my little bit. Disclaimer first, though, that I probably have poor taste in straps--most people who have bought my used watches immediately switched out the included straps for something else ...So, these are strictly my personal not-so-quality opinion, and please don't believe everything I say,

What makes your vintage Seiko chronograph different from the great suggestions above is that your case has hooded lugs. My own personal view is that this type of case is designed with bracelet in mind, and when straps are fitted, it creates a visual break that we don't get in cases with open lugs, like those of the Doxa and Tissot examples.

Again, just in my eyes and a subjective personal thing, a bracelet fitted would create a more uninterrupted visual flow.

Like many, I dislike the original folded steel links bracelet, as they not only pull hair, but lack the weight and quality feel, stretch over time, and difficult to clean. So, a modern generic solid bracelet, like on my Citizen above, could be an option. You'll need to order one in from overseas, e.g. eBay, for a similar one. I won't post a link here, but you're most welcome to PM me for the link (I have no affiliation with the sellers).

Locally for straps, you can ask Harlan, else I usually point members to a fellow Timekeeper member on TradeMe, Jim 'strappedin'. I can post the links to his listings here, because the items have ended, i.e. not "live".

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=2899504396
          https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=2899502860

He may be on holiday currently, though.

If you're willing to order in from overseas, there are straps that closely resemble those on the Tissots that lepo76 suggested. Here's an example from a seller overseas...

Again, I won't post a link to these, but you can certainly PM me for the link. And again, am not affiliated. Strap preferences are really a there's-no-right-or-wrong thing.
          On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

• muttley
            muttley commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the in-depth reply, you've explained why the straps never seemed 'just right' because of the hooded lugs, I never really noticed it until now but maybe I should be looking for a bracelet instead.
            Much appreciated

• Don
            Don commented
            Editing a comment
            You're welcome, muttley ...Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Ooh the mythical Vulcan, very nice!

Harlan had a nice Peros with thinner yellow accents but it was 22mm unfortunately

The Marine Nationale with yellow stripe might go well with that? Or forget trying to accent the dial and go for a grey eulit perlon

As Don has already pointed out the hooded lugs make it something only you will know you are happy with

Comment

Originally posted by Brucy View Post
            Ooh the mythical Vulcan, very nice!

Harlan had a nice Peros with thinner yellow accents but it was 22mm unfortunately

The Marine Nationale with yellow stripe might go well with that? Or forget trying to accent the dial and go for a grey eulit perlon

As Don has already pointed out the hooded lugs make it something only you will know you are happy with
            Thanks, I'll have to look up the Marine Nationale.
            I've been in touch with James at StrappedIn (hopefully no issue with mentioning TM sellers here?) and end up buying a jewellers cloth and a Bergeon springbar tool but no straps or bracelets (yet).
            It's a funny old world, with regards to value etc. I picked out this watch in 1989 for a 21st birthday present that my Mum & Sis could purchase for me as it was cheap, and they knew I liked watches, even back then. A shame I didn't know more otherwise I could have made an absolute killing when overseas. Breitling Navi, Rolex Sub or Patek for $1,000 USD each? No thanks, I have a nice watch already.... hardly a day goes by where I don't kick myself for not understanding what I was being offered. Oh well, I know we all have stories of missed opportunities/ones that got away.
            Anyway, fast forward a couple of decades and I start finding references to this watch online as a 'very rare, collectible' model because of a bogus legend about them being issued to RAF Vulcan aircrew. Now they're worth a lot for a Seiko quartz chrono but I guess I'm not complaining. I just bought it because I thought the bright yellow dial was out of my usual comfort zone and it looked cool. I wore it on my wedding day even though I had 'nicer' watches, and usually bring it out on my birthday as a reminder of why I have it.
            Edit: I've just checked out the Nick Mankey straps - look perfect, but too expensive. Keep looking...
            Last edited by muttley; 29-12-20, 19:34.

Comment

Working...
            X