Daily Chat & Wrist Check Edition 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick stroll around the block to get the 6105-8110 fully charged

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210109_091315.jpg Views:	67 Size:	49.2 KB ID:	64883

Comment

• Artemis12
      Artemis12 commented
      Editing a comment
      Finally a bit of blue sky, but mostly overcast for the capital today too,

Trying on my, new to me, vintage Timex Electric (1969 ish?)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210109_095656.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	64885

Comment

• Don
      Don commented
      Editing a comment
      That's lovely, Slade ..Tell us more about it if you can, like what Model it is, etc.

• sladew
      sladew commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Don,

I like it a lot. I'm fascinated by the 60's electrics. I'm amazed at how many different types and makers there were prior to the rise of quartz.

I received a late surprise Xmas gift of several vintage watches from my mother-in-law in the US. The MiL said the Timex dates to '69 and it is a rare model from "Great Britain" but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me given the Timex US focus at the time, so I need to do a bit of research and confirm the date and movement.

I don't know the model and I'm still trying to track down a decent list or catalogue of models. I think it is probably a Timex Type 40 movement, but I have to confirm. Timex have released a bunch of earlier Service Manuals so there's a bit to go on (and read through).

I closed the case back really firmly after I replaced the battery and I still have to work up the courage to prise it off (I don't want to scratch it up).
      It's running OK with a replacement LR44 button battery, but needs to be "hand agitated" like winding an automatic (or hand-cranked a vintage car) to start it after the battery is replaced or the the battery circuit is switched off when the crown is pulled out.

Really worn, but when it does get an airing is does still make an impact IMO.

Name:	IMG20210109211535.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	64893
    'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!

Comment

• LeroyC
      LeroyC commented
      Editing a comment
      Sure does.

• Don
      Don commented
      Editing a comment
      Seeing this always brings joy ...A great great, for sure.

• harlansmart
      harlansmart commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too, am impacted, 'tis a cool watch.

Originally posted by sladew View Post
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210109_095656.jpg Views:	27 Size:	81.6 KB ID:	64885
    Originally posted by sladew View Post
    ...Hi Don,

I like it a lot. I'm fascinated by the 60's electrics. I'm amazed at how many different types and makers there were prior to the rise of quartz.

I received a late surprise Xmas gift of several vintage watches from my mother-in-law in the US. The MiL said the Timex dates to '69 and it is a rare model from "Great Britain" but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me given the Timex US focus at the time, so I need to do a bit of research and confirm the date and movement.

I don't know the model and I'm still trying to track down a decent list or catalogue of models. I think it is probably a Timex Type 40 movement, but I have to confirm. Timex have released a bunch of earlier Service Manuals so there's a bit to go on (and read through).

I closed the case back really firmly after I replaced the battery and I still have to work up the courage to prise it off (I don't want to scratch it up)...
    Nothing like a MiL-issued watch ...Very thoughtful and kind of your mother-in-law ...I don’t have much experience or knowledge of electric watches, have yet to own one, but like you, I find their history fascinating. Though Electric movement technology eventually made way for Quartz, I feel their existence and success in the market played a large part in giving the watch industry the confidence to invest in making quartz a mainstream technology.

To consumers at the time, Electric primed their wallets for Quartz, making the latter a lot less alien-technology than it would have been had it not followed Electric.

As mentioned, I don’t know a lot about these, just the very basics, so here’s what I have to help start off your research. Yours is, I think, either a Timex Electric 76160-4071 or 76160-4072, and it is possible that this reference number used to appear on the dial, underneath the 6 o’clock hour index. Over time, the number may have been rubbed off or dissolved by moisture condensation (happens on many vintages). “76160” is the Catalog Number of the watch, indicating the case style. “40” is the movement, Model 40 (M40). 71 or 72 will have indicated the year of manufacture.

Here’s an image capture from the Timex Catalog 1961-71, showing the 76160-4071 at the bottom.

According to this catalog, the first 76160 was introduced in 1971. I have also found examples on the web—they seem to be rare, but not very rare—4072, dating to 1972. Regarding the origin, Great Britain is entirely possible, and I have come across later Timex Electric models with “Great Britain” at the 6 o’clock instead of the model reference. “Germany” is also seen—I’m not sure of the reason.

Here’s a vintage printed ad from 1971, showing both versions of the 761x0 (image source Arteepee's Watch Collection).

Re the case back, as far as I’m aware, you can open the battery hatch to replace the battery, but this watch is actually a front-loader. That is, the movement is accessed by removing the crystal, and what looks like a press-in case back is actually semi-permantly sealed from the factory with epoxy glue.
    Last edited by Don; 10-01-21, 01:00.
    On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

• Artemis12
      Artemis12 commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, awesome info Don What a fantastically cool watch sladew, I look forward to seeing it on a regular basis

Started off the morning with my Nixon 48-20

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210110_090706.jpg Views:	67 Size:	56.5 KB ID:	64905

but decided to go with my 1974 6105-8110 and a coffee of course last day of the holidays for me, heading back to work will give me a bit of R&R time

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210110_104952.jpg Views:	68 Size:	56.0 KB ID:	64906

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Artemis12
        Artemis12 commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking good Kronos

• Don
        Don commented
        Editing a comment
        Congratulations on the new addition, Kronos. Good on you going for the automatic in the end.

Originally posted by Don View Post

Nothing like a MiL-issued watch ...Very thoughtful and kind of your mother-in-law ...I don’t have much experience or knowledge of electric watches, have yet to own one, but like you, I find their history fascinating. Though Electric movement technology eventually made way for Quartz, I feel their existence and success in the market played a large part in giving the watch industry the confidence to invest in making quartz a mainstream technology.

To consumers at the time, Electric primed their wallets for Quartz, making the latter a lot less alien-technology than it would have been had it not followed Electric.

As mentioned, I don’t know a lot about these, just the very basics, so here’s what I have to help start off your research. Yours is, I think, either a Timex Electric 76160-4071 or 76160-4072, and it is possible that this reference number used to appear on the dial, underneath the 6 o’clock hour index. Over time, the number may have been rubbed off or dissolved by moisture condensation (happens on many vintages). “76160” is the Catalog Number of the watch, indicating the case style. “40” is the movement, Model 40 (M40). 71 or 72 will have indicated the year of manufacture.

Here’s an image capture from the Timex Catalog 1961-71, showing the 76160-4071 at the bottom.

According to this catalog, the first 76160 was introduced in 1971. I have also found examples on the web—they seem to be rare, but not very rare—4072, dating to 1972. Regarding the origin, Great Britain is entirely possible, and I have come across later Timex Electric models with “Great Britain” at the 6 o’clock instead of the model reference. “Germany” is also seen—I’m not sure of the reason.

Here’s a vintage printed ad from 1971, showing both versions of the 761x0 (image source Arteepee's Watch Collection).

Re the case back, as far as I’m aware, you can open the battery hatch to replace the battery, but this watch is actually a front-loader. That is, the movement is accessed by removing the crystal, and what looks like a press-in case back is actually semi-permantly sealed from the factory with epoxy glue.
      Don,

That is wealth of fantastic information! You have helped incredibly just by identifying that model number. Many, many thanks for that. I will be very careful about accessing the movement after your warning about the crystal. The watch seems to be running OK with the new battery, if a touch fast.

I got lost just by visiting Arteepee's Watch Collection site, and I ended up stumbling down a rabbit hole of "Mad Men" style late 60's ads for Timex Electrics. I have to share just a few...

Name:	Nobody ever gave her.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	64913

Name:	Electrify your wife.png
Views:	88
Size:	959.3 KB
ID:	64914

Name:	You don't wind it up, you turn it on.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	64915

Thanks Don. I will post some pics of the other surprises shortly including the "Jean Cardot" that it looks like could be a white/private labelled Soviet movement watch. V. cool.

Slade.

Comment

• LeroyC
        LeroyC commented
        Editing a comment
        Those TV ads are something special aren't they? The capitalist machine was in full flight by the '60s that's for sure. I like the 2nd one and the last one the best, they're absolutely perfect for someone to parody and I wouldn't be surprised if there's something out there already. The last one reminds a bit of Homer's Mr Plough TV commercial where it's so abstract it's hard to tell what's being advertised. Classic stuff.

• harlansmart
        harlansmart commented
        Editing a comment
        Great adverts... OMEGA did some awesome ones a bit like that, one went like... hang on, I need to think...

• harlansmart
        harlansmart commented
        Editing a comment
        I REMEMBER, this was on a ladies Constellation:

'You’re a fortunate woman to share so fully in your man’s success'

Vintage Wyler Vetta

Name:	3429977D-3A64-4660-8E77-321F8C0D2709.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	64920

Comment

• Don
        Don commented
        Editing a comment
        The first time you posted pictures of your Wyler-Vetta, I forgot to comment on how nice that textured dial must be in person. Looks to have a pearl-like finish, or perhaps even glitter at some angles?

• lepo76
        lepo76 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Don, it does indeed look very nice in person. Unfortunately my camera is not capturing it properly

Seiko 5 this morning, looking all gloriously golden

Name:	IMG_20210111_084201.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	64928 I keep toying with the idea of replacing the original bracelet with a suitably distressed brown leather band.

Comment

• Don
        Don commented
        Editing a comment
        No harm in trying out your idea, Slade I personally think brown leather straps on gold-tone watches lift up the head visually, and may improve the quality feel and comfort. Yours is a mid-1990s 7006-600x with 18mm lug-width? Here are a couple of examples--sorry I haven't owned many gold cases.

The first, from many years ago, is fitted with a slightly distressed calf in black, bought from a fellow Timekeeper, Jim 'strappedin' on TradeMe. You can find them under his listing for "Calf leather Air-Con", and he also has brown... https://i.postimg.cc/dVJ8xKvD/2-Calf...r-Con-18mm.jpg ...The other option to explore for gold vintages like yours is brown lizard-grain... https://i.postimg.cc/9FddbQ6v/2-SEIK...-33-Jewels.jpg ...This particular set was ordered in from overseas, but you may find similar locally too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tw steel tonneau ce2002 for my afternoon

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210111_172539.jpg Views:	50 Size:	50.0 KB ID:	64934

Comment

Name:	F7A67840-47D5-4BD8-B3E8-96566F3A225F.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	64936

Comment

Enjoying making straps with curved ends. A little bit classier and pretty much required for any rolex cases
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210112_112718.jpg Views:	3 Size:	103.3 KB ID:	64959
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210112_112752.jpg Views:	3 Size:	117.8 KB ID:	64960

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210112_213441_copy_2720x3268.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.5 KB ID:	64958

Last edited by retlaw4; 12-01-21, 21:45.

Comment

• retlaw4
              retlaw4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Don, yes I've always wanted a green strap for this piece and it'll also go on my tropical-ish Tudor oyster prince nicely. I was going for an olive tone and there's hints of yellow coming through too. Have just uploaded another photo that hopefully shows its colour a bit more
              Last edited by retlaw4; 12-01-21, 21:42.

• Don
              Don commented
              Editing a comment
              Some might even call it khaki green? Kinda reminds me of a mango about to ripen, i.e. a promise of sweetness to follow. So, a great summer colour

• retlaw4
              retlaw4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah could be Khaki, but the similarity to the ripening mango is spot on now that I think about it!
              Makes me want to do another one but with a bit more yellow and this green over top - could be interesting with my Doxa

SEIKO Gen I Ti SAMURAI

Comment

Tw steel tonneau ce2005 for me this afternoon

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210112_174013.jpg Views:	29 Size:	37.7 KB ID:	64949

Comment

• Hammers
                Hammers commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a lot of watch.

• Artemis12
                Artemis12 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yip, its definitely a knuckle dragger weighing in at a mere 250grams
            Working...
            X