Waywof 8 January 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waywof 8 January 2021

Happy Friday everyone R ocking the Seiko S23155j or ashtray today on a very wet capital day

Click image for larger version  Name:	Seiko 7c46-6009 ashtray s23155j  _101005.jpg Views:	35 Size:	46.6 KB ID:	64814

Seiko A904

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0526.JPG Views:	9 Size:	138.2 KB ID:	64817
    'Man Invented time, Cyma Perfected it.'

Comment

A humble Seiko chronograph for me all this week. Great value for the money I reckon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F7AF1505-D408-4041-A3D1-ABC1EC01FE85.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	64819
      Have a great weekend folks.
      Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance

Comment

The Xmas Vostok, that my wife gave to me…

Name:	IMG_20210108_121123.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	64821
        But, it occurs to me that I might not have thought this Xmas gift through… My wife is now watching what is on my wrist entirely too closely for comfort!

Comment

• sladew
          sladew commented
          Editing a comment
          Definitely gonna need some slight of hand involved. She's already commenting that the watch storage case is probably full... hah, little does she know!

I might have to branch out towards pocket watches. I have heaps of pockets...

• Gauss
          Gauss commented
          Editing a comment
          "I've actually had this one for ages, I just put it on a different strap"

50/50 for me when I try that one a lot of the time

• sladew
          sladew commented
          Editing a comment
          Oooh I like the "I just put it on a different strap". That'll work!

TAG Heuer LINK 'Tiger Woods'
        Automatic Chronograph
        CJF2110.BA0576
        Calibre 16 25j
        200m WR
        ​​​​​​​XR3697

Via NOKIA 3210 + Tapatalk Premium
        Image Sized Medium
        1024 x 768 Pixels

Last edited by rolex; 08-01-21, 13:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis12 View Post
          Happy Friday everyone Click image for larger version Name:	Seiko 7c46-6009 ashtray s23155j _101005.jpg Views:	35 Size:	46.6 KB ID:	64814
          This is one of those objects that, when one sees it, there's an urge to touch, and in this case, just turn that bezel

I'm keeping captainS company today with another Seiko chronograph (a bit older one)

1977 SEIKO "AUTOMATIC Chronograph" AV017M (6138-3002)
          On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

• Gauss
            Gauss commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice Don, I like the 613x chronos a lot. Is it right what I've heard that these are meant to have the centre seconds running by default?

• Artemis12
            Artemis12 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Don you're 3002 is looking pretty sweet too

• Don
            Don commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you, both

Gauss... Chronograph running (engaged) by default is absolutely correct. Seiko vintage mechanical chronographs (613x, 701x) transfer power from the 4th wheel to the chrono wheel by means of a vertical clutch. When the chronograph is stopped (disengaged), the two surfaces of the vertical clutch are minutely separated, so that the 4th wheel turns, and the chrono wheel is stationary. When the chronograph is engaged, the two surfaces are pushed together, transferring power by static friction--see https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...rwatchfettling

The problem is that minute particles of dust, metal, etc that results naturally from any machine in use can get lodged between the clutch surfaces, and if the watch is used for extended period in this condition, the 4th wheel is turning and grinding the particles against a stationary chrono wheel. This causes premature wear to both surfaces, and when excessive wear occur, the surfaces will no longer make contact when the chronograph is activated. This gap cannot be adjusted, rendering the chronograph non-functional, because power can no longer be transferred. The same applies to Citizen vintage automatic chronographs Cal. 81x0 of the 1970s.

Parts are no longer made for these vintage chronograph, and there are a finite number left in the world. This is not mentioned nearly enough within the watch circles, so please do help to spread the word. I cringe every time I see a vintage Seiko or Citizen chronographs being worn with the chrono "zeroed". The Swiss ETA Valjoux 775x, like in Harlan's TAG a couple of posts above, does not use a vertical clutch, so can be worn with the chrono disengaged/stopped.

Getting up to all sorts today.

Name:	IMG_20210105_090350.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	64829

All sorts...

Comment

• sladew
            sladew commented
            Editing a comment
            That is a classy watch and a classy photo. Nicely done.

• Artemis12
            Artemis12 commented
            Editing a comment
            Totally agree this is a totally fantastic shot retlaw4, everything is just perfect.

• retlaw4
            retlaw4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks everyone. Don, of course you can

Another Seiko for today's thread, SARB033 on a Fluco suede strap, surprisingly nice strap for summer wear.

Have a good weekend all.

G

Comment

• Don
            Don commented
            Editing a comment
            Is it just my eyes, or is there no current Presage that is as nicely designed as the SARB033?

• Gauss
            Gauss commented
            Editing a comment
            You're probably right, my Dad has one of the more recent "Cocktail Time" Presages - a great watch by all means but the bump up to a 40mm case without the same curvature and a heavily sunburst dial takes away some of the more timeless aspects that the SARB possesses imho. I feel quite lucky to have one now that factory-new production is finished.
            Last edited by Gauss; 08-01-21, 17:22.

I am the least summery one.. it’s kind of chilly here

Name:	68E2047A-E023-436D-B734-4F7F6D0A52B1.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	64842

Comment

• Don
            Don commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, lepo76. Bangkok, Thailand We were up north a few days ago, and in the early mornings, it does get down to around 15 degrees.

• lepo76
            lepo76 commented
            Editing a comment
            :D it's 31 degrees right now in Bangkok ... not sure I've ever seen that kind of heat in Welly

• Don
            Don commented
            Editing a comment
            Haha.. Yes, Bangkok ranges from 19-32 at this time of the year, and it's called the "Cool Season" here I'm not super keen on heat, so will trade temperatures with Wellington any day.

Still with the Orient Click image for larger version

Name:	CB70972E-4005-4665-B9CA-5E777AFAB7AC.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	64847

Comment

• LeroyC
            LeroyC commented
            Editing a comment
            Personal grail watch right there.

• Don
            Don commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm rooting for you to get one, Leroy ...At around $2,000, it is not cheap, but what you get is well worth the money spent, compared to, say, the Seiko Prospex SPB151J1, which is only a few hundred difference. Orient Saturation 300m seems to hold their value quite well too, remaining desirable to the market. I wish my wrist were larger to wear one, but as is, have to settle for the 200m RA-EL0003B, which despite being excellent, is IMO only half the watch the Saturation 300 is.

Went with Dad’s old 5 for most of the day today-

Name:	1BADDAF1-E4EF-4CB4-9E99-3A56E5FC7EF6.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	64853

Comment

Evening change to my Poppa’s old Enicar for dinner out and a quick refreshment before heading off.

Name:	0ED456EA-4579-4603-A96D-8C75E65558C7.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	64857

Comment

• Artemis12
              Artemis12 commented
              Editing a comment
              Two very cool watches LeroyC

• Don
              Don commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 ...dial cover is super-clear on this Enicar, almost like it has no crystal.

• LeroyC
              LeroyC commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s because it’s new Don. The original is safely tucked away of course.

Time for a cocktail

Name:	246DBBCE-1F11-4281-ABF4-6199A53DD868.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	64864

Comment

• Don
              Don commented
              Editing a comment
              Very nice, Ghen! ...So, you already do have an automatic Seiko

• Ghen
              Ghen commented
              Editing a comment
              While doing a bit of browsing I found it at a remarkable discount at a reputable retailer,iin line with your comment around what to spend on a first watch, must have been discontinued stock or similar. Fitted with what I wanted the watch for, and having tried a few others liked the size and style so pulled the trigger

• Don
              Don commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow, congratulations on your first mechanical watch, Ghen ...SSA341J1, I think? Good choice, and a beautiful piece incorporating multi-complications with design elements--guilloche dial, faceted Dauphine hands, and antique-style crown--echoing mid-Century elegance. The exhibition case back and power reserve indicator ensures you don't forget this is a mechanical.

A very dressy gents watch one can wear everyday, so IMO, a great fit for "The office I work in is a semi relaxed, shirt and trousers place, not suit formal, but not jeans and teeshirt either."

Changed to this cool Hafis. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0531.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	64866
            'Man Invented time, Cyma Perfected it.'

Comment

Late to the show again. Home later tomorrow so sure to be a change up.

Have a great weekend all.

Name:	IMG20210108203003.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	64870
              'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!

Comment

Working...
              X