Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My experience with Elady - a Japanese used watch dealer

Hi Everyone,

A few months back I came across Elady, a Japanese used watch dealer and started exploring further. The name at first didn't sound legit. However, after reading a number of forum posts with positive reviews, I decided to register for their newsletters. Since then, I have been receiving discount coupons every now and then. Finally, just before Christmas, I received a 15% discount coupon which tempted me to really explore their inventory. To cut the long story short, after much deliberation, I decided to take the plunge and ordered my first Omega. A beautiful Aqua Terra first gen with papers, model no 2503.50, Calibre 2500C.

I ordered the watch on the 24th of Dec and they shipped it via DHL Express (free shipping) the next day. I received the watch on the 5th Jan. The watch came with a no questions asked 14-day return policy along with the information specifying they are the members of the International Anti-Counterfeiting Coalition.

Regarding the watch, I have to say, with the lacquered black dial, the watch is absolutely beautiful. In my opinion, it looks much better than the current generation of ATs.

Overall, I had a good experience with them. Their website had clear pictures and information to assist purchase. Their communication was fast, and I am very happy with the shipping method.

Additional info: If you are registered with them, they send you discount coupons every now and then. Also, the prices on their eBay listings are much more expensive than the ones on their website.

Last edited by Kronos; 15-01-21, 00:37.

Congratulations again on the Omega Aqua Terra and I'm happy that you got the automatic version, which I guessed might be the preferred one for you. Good to hear that your purchase experience was positive, and if this is the only watch to come your way this year, it's not bad at all

I do have a fair bit of experience with eLady, and first bought from them in 2015, a Breitling Chronograph. Later that same year, another Omega Speedmaster Cal. 861, and my last transaction with them was an IWC Automatic in 2017. All were shipped to Auckland. In my view, their prices are average, at least for the Swiss brands mentioned, but I find their price tickets for upper-end Seiko are on the steep side.

One does have to beware, though, that used Men's bracelet watches from Japan have mostly been sized for small wrists--the average wrist circumference for Japanese men is around 17 cm. So, while eLady do state wrist sizes, the buyer should check this first to make sure.

Customer service in the few occasions that I've dealt with them is, IMO, just "okay". They were fast to respond, yes, but being a large business, their sales point of contact did not have physical access to the watches, which I was told, was already packed and stored in a separate shipping facility, off-site. They were unable to answer any additional questions I had about the item regarding condition, beyond what was presented on the description page. I could not ask for additional photos, could not ask to verify functions, nor ask about accuracy or power reserve.

"The watch has been inspected and it is in good working condition" is all the buyer will get from their customer service rep. They weren't able to do for me what other Japanese sellers that I use are willing and eager to help with. So, just in my view, eLady are fine to buy from, provided that you are willing to get anything amiss sorted out myself--shipping watches back overseas for warranty repair/return is not fun (at least for me). The three watches that I bought had no issues, but they were purchase with a risk that I did not have to take with other sellers.

A few years ago, eLady changed their customs declaration policy, and were less helpful in that department. This was no fault of theirs, but to me, whatever cost advantage there was previously essentially evaporated. So, I haven't been back to them lately. This was, of course, all a few years ago, and things may have changed since then.
    Last edited by Don; 15-01-21, 01:34.
    On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

Hi,

This is a very useful information, particularly given what I now understand (in a very limited way) about the issues of replicas, fakes and franken-watches...

Are there any existing threads or messages about international sellers or used of vintage watches that are more trusted by some of the experienced TKNZ members? (obviously not trying to intrude on existing relationships between members and private sellers or queue jump for requests...)

Kronos I found your post and Don's feedback really helpful. Pointers towards more honest traders/companies, with a decent reputation and feedback from members about their experiences would be helpful. It was also useful to find out about the existence of the IACC.

I fully appreciate the need for research, due diligence, that previous performance is no guarantee of future performance and also the importance of "caveat emptor"

Thanks,
      Slade.

Comment

It's good to know that this store can be trusted. 15% off is a good deal since that will cover for gst and import taxes

Beautiful piece Kronos!

Comment

Originally posted by sladew View Post
          This is a very useful information, particularly given what I now understand (in a very limited way) about the issues of replicas, fakes and franken-watches...

Are there any existing threads or messages about international sellers or used of vintage watches that are more trusted by some of the experienced TKNZ members?
          I fully appreciate the need for research, due diligence, that previous performance is no guarantee of future performance and also the importance of "caveat emptor"
          Slade, there aren't any existing threads of such that I recall. For new watches, I can recommend plenty of online dealers, but in the 12 years Timekeeper has been live, I myself have not recommended any for used or vintage watches. I dare not, and there is a reason for this, and it is far beyond the "previous performance is no guarantee of future performance".

All of us here have some area of expertise in life--perhaps in what we do for a living, or another hobby we have. Think of that field that you consider yourself an expert in, and you'll realize that there is a difference between competency/skill and honesty. In any industry, one can be highly-knowledgeable and experienced but dishonest and lacking in integrity. The reverse of that is that one can be honest to the core, but incompetent.

In the used watch trade, I am willing to vouch for sellers who are honest, and who will never knowingly sell a counterfeit or Franken. However, I can never know for sure how competent those people are at authenticating a watch, because I can't examine every watch they sell. I have sources whom I know almost as friends for over a decade, whom I trust in their honesty, and whom I have purchased many used watches from them, over the years totaling thousands of dollars. I trust them enough to make payment and know that what I bought will arrive, but for every single transaction, I do not place the burden of authenticating on them--authenticating is purely my responsibility.

There have been times--many times--when I come across a watch listing by a source I have a relationship with. The watch is inauthentic or a Franken, but I am 100% certain that my man (or lady) does not know that. I quickly send an email to explain, and see swift action on their part, taking down the listing and thanking me. But if someone had bought that listing before I saw it, then that buyer would have bought from an honest trustworthy seller, but they would have also bought a fake!

Since we're discussing Japanese sellers, one thing to also keep in mind is that, until recently, the Japanese used watch market is relatively isolated, compared to most other developed countries. Large portions of it still is, selling and buying only within their national boundary. What this means is that, for a long time, the Japanese used watch market has been spared from the "stuff" on eBay, and while there is an awareness of replica (also very popular in the Japanese market, unbeknownst to most), there is still a degree of naivete when it comes to 1) aftermarket parts especially for Seiko, and 2) Franken-watches. Used watch sellers in other markets, such as Hong Kong and Thailand, are much more clued up about these because they have been seeing them for a long time. This is not to say that these other sellers are more/less honest.

If you ever browse Yahoo! Japan, you'll come across many many watches like I covered here... https://www.timekeeper.co.nz/forum/w...-seiko-citizen ...sold by established second-hand businesses, knowingly and unknowingly. What I'm trying to say is that buying from "trusted" dealers and buying from Japan are, unfortunately, not shortcuts to getting legit used watches.
          Last edited by Don; 15-01-21, 15:41.
          On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
            Congratulations again on the Omega Aqua Terra and I'm happy that you got the automatic version, which I guessed might be the preferred one for you. Good to hear that your purchase experience was positive, and if this is the only watch to come your way this year, it's not bad at all I do have a fair bit of experience with eLady, and first bought from them in 2015, a Breitling Chronograph. Later that same year, another Omega Speedmaster Cal. 861, and my last transaction with them was an IWC Automatic in 2017. All were shipped to Auckland. In my view, their prices are average, at least for the Swiss brands mentioned.......
            Thanks very much, Don . Yes, this is going to me my only piece this year. Unless, I find a workaround. And as always, very helpful comment. Happy to know that you have purchased from Elady before and everything went well. Even after receiving the item and all the assurances regarding their strict adherence to anti-counterfeiting policies, I felt a bit uneasy not knowing if I had a genuine item. Now that I know you have bought from them, I am much relieved .

Very good pointer about the bracelet sizes. Luckily, I noticed the bracelet size mentioned in the listing and measured my wrist size to make sure I got the right one.

Originally posted by Don View Post
            Customer service in the few occasions that I've dealt with them is, IMO, just "okay". They were fast to respond, yes, but being a large business, their sales point of contact did not have physical access to the watches, which I was told, was already packed and stored in a separate shipping facility, off-site. They were unable to answer any additional questions I had about the item regarding condition, beyond what was presented on the description page. I could not ask for additional photos, could not ask to verify functions, nor ask about accuracy or power reserve. A few years ago, eLady changed their customs declaration policy, and were less helpful in that department.....
            Oh right! So, there is a bit of risk involved. Sometimes, it is absolutely essential to ask additional questions. To be honest, I didn't think of anything. Just ordered with the information provided. I was lucky I guess. To return the watch in case of any issue is a nightmare. The shipping cost is quite high, and the main issue is to get the customs duty refunded.

Comment

Originally posted by sladew View Post
              Are there any existing threads or messages about international sellers or used of vintage watches that are more trusted by some of the experienced TKNZ members? (obviously not trying to intrude on existing relationships between members and private sellers or queue jump for requests...)
              Thanks for asking this question, Slade. And Don has again provided very helpful info .

Comment

Originally posted by lepo76 View Post
                It's good to know that this store can be trusted. 15% off is a good deal since that will cover for gst and import taxes

Beautiful piece Kronos!
                Thanks, Lepo. Oh, yes, the discount pretty much covered the duties

Comment

Working...
                X