Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo of the week???

Hi tknzer's,

I've noticed a steady increase in the quality of the pictures being posted on a regular basis
    So I'm wondering if we should start a shoot of the week post??

I'm thinking it could go something like this, but the group can decide on the final arrangement if its picked up

how it goes -
    We post one pic that we think is our best of the week on a Sunday or something like that. kind of like waywof and at the end of that day or the following day who ever gets the most likes wins??

No worries if its not a goer

Cool. Let's give it a go tomorrow.
    'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!

Comment

Should we have one rule?? No photo shop?? Just to keep it fear

Sweet that's two of us I'm liking my chances all ready
      Last edited by Artemis12; 23-01-21, 21:46.

Comment

• Hammers
        Hammers commented
        Editing a comment
        50/50

• Artemis12
        Artemis12 commented
        Editing a comment
        50/50

A great idea, Artemis12 ...I don’t think we’ve had something like that before here on Timekeeper. This could turn out to be another popular activity each week besides the daily wrist checks and WAYWOF. I’m just thinking that, as with any games, competition, or sports of any level from children to professional, in order to attract and retain players/entrants, we should come up with some basic rules. If you think about any game, it’s the limitation that will make it fun, and the limitation is laid out in the rules.

You are already, I think, implying that 1) one photo entry per member, 2) photo must have been taken within the previous 7 days, but we might like to consider whether…

a. Definite day and time should be specified to ensure there is sufficient time for members to submit their entry—knowing most don’t visit everyday. Whether definite voting time should be specified, again, in order to give those who don’t visit frequently the chance to participate in voting. I suggest that we allow 24 hours for entry, and another 24 hours for voting.

b. Does the photo need to have been posted on the forum prior, or can it just be a photo that we took during that week, but not yet posted? Opening this up could benefit members who post less wrist shots during the week. Also might open the possibility to some members who might, for fun, take competition-class pics just for this weekly duel.

c. Will the entry be limited to wrist shot, or will any photo of the watch, taken ourselves, be admitted?

d. Whether any editing of the photo is allowed. The OP, Artemis12, mentioned “No photo shop”. Do we need to be more specific? ...We of course need to allow for resizing, but will reorientation or reframing be considered editing? What about light adjustment, i.e. brightness, contrast, or temperature, tint, etc.?

Other thoughts I have on the matter are:
      • “Like” might not be the most ideal tool. This is because voting members can “like” more than one entry, i.e. not 1-member-1-vote. For example, I might like Entry#1 and “like” it, but later in the day, I like Entry#8 more, but cannot give #8 more than one like. It would also be useful to be able to objectively measure, each week, the level of participation by the number of votes, and with “Like”, we can never be sure how many people are actually taking part.
      • What I’ve learned from WAYWOF is that many members visit the the thread, post and/or like, then never revisits the thread during the course of the day. Myself, I try to come back later on in the evening to make sure later reply posts are not left behind, but not everyone does this. On WAYWOF, earlier posts often get the most “Like” because they are viewed by more members, while later reply posts get few.
      What I suggest instead is to use the forum “Poll” function, which can be employed when creating a new post. That is, the Poll can only be included by the OP in the opening post, but can be edited later, either by the OP or a Moderator. For newer member, an example of a poll can be viewed here… https://www.timekeeper.co.nz/forum/w...-is-the-oldest ...I propose one of two methods to conduct this poll.

The first one is slightly fairer, but a little time-consuming...

Method 1

1. A new topic is created every week on a Saturday, anytime (0:01 AM – 11:59 PM) but preferably early. The topic can be along the line of “Photo of the Week [dd Month] – Voting Tomorrow”. A short explanation of the rule should be provided in the opening post—this can be just cut&paste, but will be helpful for new members who can right away see what’s required. Everyone must be made aware that voting has not yet started.

2. Members post replies with their photo entry. No response to other posts nor comments are allowed, but members are encouraged (but not compelled) to include a description for the watch, e.g. brand, model, year. Since it is a photo contest, details about the camera/lens used is permitted, but not essential.

3. At mid-night of that day, or at the latest, by morning of Sunday, one of the Mods closes the thread. One of us (any member, but should take turns) compiles all the entries and creates a new post with “Poll”. These images can just be numbered, without the owner’s user name, and a Poll created (set to expire on the Monday 0:00 AM). The images can just be copied using your browser’s “Copy image address”, and re-posted on the Poll thread.

4. Members can vote all day Sunday, and unlike the “Likes”, the Poll function allows everyone to only vote once. The Poll also supports changing votes, and the function will take care of that itself. At midnight, the poll ends automatically, and we have the winner for the week.

All of this is actually easier done than described. The second method is less time-consuming, but does require a poll option to be included by whoever creates the new thread each week.

Method 2

1. Is like in Method 1 above, but a “Poll” option is included. However, “Answers” within the poll is left on default, to be edited later when all photos entries have been received at the end of the entry period (the remainder of Saturday, until 11:59 PM).

2. Is exactly like in Method 1.

3. Like in Method 1, at mid-night of that day, entry closes. The OP or one of the Mods post a final reply notifying that entry is now closed, and then edits the poll “answers” to consist of Post #1, Post #2, Post #3,...to however many entries there are that day. Each reply post or entry already has a Post # on the top right hand corner, so no confusion. The Poll is then set to expire on the Monday 0:00 AM.

4. Is exactly like in Method 1.

Again, this may all sound complicated, but in practice, it is actually quite simple—just describing the process is complicated.

On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

• Artemis12
        Artemis12 commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome Don

Don is the poll option private? I.e when you vote, you can't see where other votes are being placed until the final reveal?
      I've found polls that have visible results during voting may affect my vote unfairly - of course we all know what we are like, but visible results might often show what we "should" be liking.

Good questions about photoshop also. I shoot on my Oppo phone which has pretty compressed images (unlike say an iphone), so my pictures always need the light and colour tweaked to make it look decent and crisp. Artemis12 what about us who like to bust out our DSLR some days, is this allowed?

Lastly and echoing Don's comments, is it limited to a "wrist shot"? I find the looking down "wrist shot" to be probably the most mundane way to photograph a piece (even though its what we as the wearers actually see most of the time). I prefer to either have the wrist shot from someone else's perspective, or even not at all, just have the watch displayed somewhere else entirely.

Comment

Hi Don,
        Thank-you for taking the time to give this idea a bit of thought and coming with some great rules

I personally like the poll method
        I think the photo should be taken by the owner of the watch and be either a wrist or staged shot
        photoshop???? Maybe it's just a shoot and post with your camera or phone with out manipulation of the photo, Using the honor system

Comment

Originally posted by retlaw4 View Post
          Don is the poll option private? I.e when you vote, you can't see where other votes are being placed until the final reveal?
          I've found polls that have visible results during voting may affect my vote unfairly - of course we all know what we are like, but visible results might often show what we "should" be liking.
          retlaw4, the Poll that we'll use is just a vBulletin tool, and doesn't have many features unfortunately. The votes will be private in the sense that the votes are anonymous--this is an advantage over "Like", which Admin (Harlan) can see. With Poll, not even Admin will see who is voting what. However, I think what you mean is the kind of poll tool we find on the home page of NZ Herald, where you have to cast a vote first to see the result so far.

This vBulletin poll will not be like that, but will progressively show the result. A voting member can also change their mind while the poll is in progress, and choose another entry as their favourite. You can also vote for your own entry, but then, that's democracy ...I certainly understand what you mean, but this set up, while possible of swaying votes, is transparent to all.

Good questions about photoshop also. I shoot on my Oppo phone which has pretty compressed images (unlike say an iphone), so my pictures always need the light and colour tweaked to make it look decent and crisp. Artemis12 what about us who like to bust out our DSLR some days, is this allowed?
          Originally posted by Artemis12 View Post
          photoshop???? Maybe it's just a shoot and post with your camera or phone with out manipulation of the photo, Using the honor system
          Both my camera and phone are "past their prime" in photography, but still do what's required, so I'm not in a rush to replace them. Neither can upload to the forum without going through my laptop, or if away outside, at least the tablet. Like retlaw4, I always have to make adjustments, i.e. rotate, crop, light, and temperature. Resizing to not exceed the 1024 px maximum width is necessary for everyone.

I think, on this aspect of photo editing, I'd like to hear from Harlan and retlaw4 (and maybe Gauss too?) on what they think is appropriate, as I think both are experienced in photography compared to the rest of us. They are more likely to be banned from the competition first, because they will just keep winning every round! ...So, I'll listen to what their take first, and if they agree on "no manipulation", then I'd go along with that.

Lastly and echoing Don's comments, is it limited to a "wrist shot"? I find the looking down "wrist shot" to be probably the most mundane way to photograph a piece (even though its what we as the wearers actually see most of the time). I prefer to either have the wrist shot from someone else's perspective, or even not at all, just have the watch displayed somewhere else entirely.
          I think the photo should be taken by the owner of the watch and be either a wrist or staged shot
          I agree with both retlaw4 and Artemis12 in that it can be any picture of the watch, taken by the member submitting.

Once we can agree on the rules, we can do a test run using a dummy poll, maybe just among those responding to this thread? We might see other issues that are not immediately apparent then that can be smoothed out. Would like to hear from other members also before we move further.
          Last edited by Don; 24-01-21, 08:56.
          On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

Regarding the visibility of the poll - results can’t be seen if you view the thread via Tapatalk OR before you log in I believe. So if you want to view the posts without feeling any peer pressure I suggest you view the whole thread first via one of these methods before logging in to vote. Also as far as I know the poll won’t be visible or usable at all in Tapatalk so for people to participate they’ll need to be on the website.

Comment

Re- Photo shop. I'm thinking more about applying filters to the pic. I think standard adjustments are ok?? What does everyone else think?? Added a pic of what I mean. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210108_175718_920.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.8 KB ID:	65374
              Last edited by Artemis12; 24-01-21, 09:49.

Comment

Why not aim and shoot? thats all i can do.
                'Man Invented time, Cyma Perfected it.'

Comment

That's the game plan Cyma, just keep it simple and honest to the image
                  Last edited by Artemis12; 24-01-21, 11:21.

Comment

With regarding no manipulation of photos and relying on honesty, I think it would prevent arguments or skepticism to just allow any sort of resizing or colour grading. I doubt anyone is going to go and finesse their images in the actual Photoshop phone or computer app.

This way people aren't wondering if the image is really 'original' or not and therefore not affecting their vote.

​​​​​​

Comment

• Artemis12
                      Artemis12 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Explained perfectly Retlaw4

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
                    Regarding the visibility of the poll...
                    ...as far as I know the poll won’t be visible or usable at all in Tapatalk so for people to participate they’ll need to be on the website.
                    Thank you, Leroy. I wasn't aware of these before. How do you think going down the Poll path will impact participation? Given that all smart phones have web browsers, do you think it would be a big ask for our members to log in through a browser to take part?

Re- Photo shop. I'm thinking more about applying filters to the pic. I think standard adjustments are ok?? What does everyone else think??
                    I'm getting a sense that, for many people, "photoshop" and "manipulation" are evil words? ...This is completely understandable, given how these terms are used in society today. So, I thought it would be good to take this chance to get to know more about digital photographs and how they are created? ...I've found a suitable diagram at blurbiness.com, which I've borrowed to edit for you to see...

Light rays reach the lenses and they are directed to the sensor, which converts the light into electrical signals. These are then digitized by assigning a colour to every pixel. After exposure, i.e. the shutter closes, these pixels are written onto a buffer, and now becomes what is called RAW data that the camera's CPU processes to create an image. On some camera, one can set this RAW data to be exported directly, e.g. by saving as files directly to a memory card.

However, this RAW file is not in a format that can be viewed and require additional processing (manipulation) by a photo editing software like Photoshop. For 99.9% of digital camera users and on phone cameras, the RAW data is processed (manipulated) by the onboard CPU or internal image processor, and this involves a number of steps. Besides the interpolation of RGB colours, the internal processor 1) corrects for colour or white balance, 2) optimizes the image by adjusting brightness, 3) adjusting contrast, 4) adjusting colour saturation, 5) adjusting sharpness, 6) reduce image noise, and other improvements depending on the camera. The image data is then converted to a JPG file by further compressing data and reducing the image size.

It is only after this that the photo can be exported or saved to a memory card. As you can now see, every JPG/JPEG file that you see is an end result of image manipulation and editing by the camera or phone. So, quality of outcome of the whole process, i.e. the final image, depends on the quality of not only the lens like on the traditional film camera, but also on the quality of the sensor and how good the onboard image processor manipulates the photo, post-exposure. If I were to give someone five different cameras and phones, get them to take a photo of the same watch, that same person would likely get five different outcomes.

So, not allowing for editing of photos would be more a competitive test of camera equipment or phone, rather than a competition of human skill

Originally posted by cyma View Post
                    Why not aim and shoot? thats all i can do.
                    You can definitely just do that, Pete The question we're exploring is whether those who want to do more can do so too.

With regarding no manipulation of photos and relying on honesty, I think it would prevent arguments or skepticism to just allow any sort of resizing or colour grading. I doubt anyone is going to go and finesse their images in the actual Photoshop phone or computer app.

This way people aren't wondering if the image is really 'original' or not and therefore not affecting their vote.​​​​​​
                    100% agree, retlaw4. My view is that enhancements should be allowed, and I also don't think people would go full-blown image post production, e.g. blending out scratches, changing dial/straps colour, make a different case material, switching out the background, or man-scaping (or adding extra) body hair

Comment

Nicely done Don I think that locks in the whole photoshop debate Nicely, do we move on to the next phase??

I'm thinking that by the end of this project all tknz users will have the nicest look wrists on all of the forums "lol"

Comment

• retlaw4
                        retlaw4 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's a point I was wanting to mention actually. I've found by following watch people on instagram, it has upped my watch photography game significantly. I think having healthy competition will help people improve - provided they want to. It's really nice having some amazing photos of your own pieces, especially if you part with them some day in the future.

• Artemis12
                        Artemis12 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I totally agree Owning the watch is just fantastic, but being able to catch those things that make it special are just awesome. Especially if you end up parting with it one day

...do we move on to the next phase??
                      I personally would feel more comfortable if we agree on rules and format through this thread first, Artemis12. A couple of things from my Post#4 above haven't been touched on yet, and it might be good for us to hear from more members--at least those posting regularly on WAYWOF.

Also, Moderators can only oversee what is already set in place, and a new potentially long-term activity like this is off the charter. So, we may have to wait for executive decision, i.e. should wait for Harlan to give it the okay.

Comment

• Artemis12
                        Artemis12 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sounds good Don but waiting in anticipation
                        Last edited by Artemis12; 25-01-21, 14:31.
                    Working...
                    X