Help! Bremont Supermarine S500 Descent Limited Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Bremont Supermarine S500 Descent Limited Edition

During our Wellington gathering, Deerworrier showed us a couple of (gorgeous) watches for sale. I guess it was on behalf of Beastie. Anyways, as soon as I saw the Bremont Supermarine S500 Descent DLC Limited Ed I knew there was no way back! I was in love! The watch is an absolute stunner! I resisted my urge to buy it then and decided to read about it and make an "informed" decision. However, the problem is that the "informed" aspect is not happening. My vision has become narrow and I only see the positive elements. As you know, I am in the lookout for a Speedy, and now I am in a serious dilemma as to go all out with this Bremont or wait patiently for a Speedy to show up.

At this critical juncture, I seek your expertise and rational thinking to guide me to make an "informed" decision.

I attach a few pics of the watch taken at the gathering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S500 is a great model, the dials are awesome, the lume is awesome but the way they've stacked clear stuff over the lume in the bezel is really fantastic.

And for strap whores, like the Speedy Pro, S500 is a winner.

As to your (actual) question, I cannot say !
    Harlan
    Timekeeper Watch Club
    New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Thanks, Harlan. This watch is coming up in my dreams

Comment

While the Bremont is a great watch, the Speedy would be an appreciating collectable, in years to come you would be glad you held out. The Bremont is not a well known brand - parts and service (Especially seals) will be a potential future problem.Hold out for the Speedy.

Comment

I also have a S500. Great watch. Love the case size, lume and bracelet is pretty good. No flip lock buckle but not that relevant on a DLC (did not come with a bracelet from new I believe in any case). Dial is amazing with the texture and I like the 3 piece case design and how the gas relief and crown is integrated into it. Seem to recall there is a faraday case tucked in there as well. Quality movement. There is enough going on dial and hand wise for it be be an interesting and a tad different piece but nothing to radical to tire off. Decent diving watch stats as well.

My personal dislikes... I see no value in the day date and would prefer neither, or at most the date function. On mine the power reserve is average at best. Simply put the ETA movements are showing their age, power reserve wise. TBH mine probably needs a service as had some use and it’s a few years old now. While again personal preference, my least liked model variation is the Green bezel and DLC but that is absolutely a personal opinion and no reflection on this one for sale.

You’ve handled one, you know how it feels, so go for it. Looks in great nick. I’d love to wear a DLC case with a nice worn black canvas for a week or so, but while the S500 is a keeper for me, I’m fairly sure not in DLC. So a big positive from me regarding the Brand and Model, just not this particular variation.

The stainless steel case hardening really works (like the hardened cases Sinn uses on some of its watches). I assume the DLC is overlayed so will be a very hard scratch resistant case. Mine shows very little wear for it’s age. I seldom sell, so can’t give any idea on resale value but would not be up there like some of the flash Harry brands.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0B1EA27A-4036-4AA1-8535-20AA48A3CCFA.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	88.3 KB ID:	66403

Comment

Originally posted by Horos View Post
            While the Bremont is a great watch, the Speedy would be an appreciating collectable, in years to come you would be glad you held out. The Bremont is not a well known brand - parts and service (Especially seals) will be a potential future problem.Hold out for the Speedy.
            Thanks very much, Horos. Sound advice. Will definitely keep that in mind. Holding out is getting increasingly difficult! The main problem is finding a Speedy here in NZ. There are plenty available on WUS forum, but most of them only ship within the US. Even if they ship abroad, the total cost incl duties looks quite high.

And yes, Bremont service is going to be a problem. Spoke to their AD in Melbourne. Will have to send the watch to Melbourne, and they send it to the UK. The time frame specified is 10-12 weeks which is pretty long. I am also concerned about the parts availability. If anything happens, I will have to repeat the process and send the item to Melbourne.
            Last edited by Kronos; 23-02-21, 17:26.

Comment

• lepo76
              lepo76 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Kronos, are you looking for a specific Speedmaster reference? If I were you, I would pay a visit to an AD and see if they still have a 1861 for sale. In theory now that the 3861 is out, you could potentially get a 1861 with a little discount, assuming that one is there and available to be purchased.
              I can't be of much help with the Bremont since I know nothing about it. I just think it looked good on you
              Maybe focus on what you would like to do with your new watch... a Speedmaster feels more vintage and "fragile" compared to the Bremont.
              Another thing to keep in mind is.. are you still going to get a Speedmaster down the line ?

• Kronos
              Kronos commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you, Lepo. I did check with the AD for the 311.30.42.30.01.005 model. They don't have it in stock and will have to get it from Australia. Also, the price is around $8500 mark. Way above my budget.
              Sound advice on the focus. I think I would still get a Speedy down the line.

• kiwi.bloke
              kiwi.bloke commented
              Editing a comment
              Bremont movement is an ETA 2836 base I believe. I recall some sort of uproar a while back about them proudly introducing an all new UK movement... that was mostly ETA based! An easy web search will find it all. Service is top notch. They sent me from the UK a half link for my bracelet. No cost. And a spare link I recall. And a couple of pins. I’d not worry to much about the service side. If you like it, buy. If not wait for a speedy. Sold both mine but kept this me.

Originally posted by kiwi.bloke View Post
            My personal dislikes... I see no value in the day date and would prefer neither, or at most the date function. On mine the power reserve is average at best. Simply put the ETA movements are showing their age, power reserve wise. TBH mine probably needs a service as had some use and it’s a few years old now. While again personal preference, my least liked model variation is the Green bezel and DLC but that is absolutely a personal opinion and no reflection on this one for sale......
            Thanks very much, Kiwi Bloke. Your SS looks fantastic. As for me, I find the DLC a bit different from my SS watches, and I guess that was the main attraction for me. It would have been fantastic if it came with a DLC bracelet (optional purchase is US$800 I guess!)

Comment

All I can add is that it looks great on your wrist.

Plus for what it is worth I suspect that Bremont will be around in 20 years time, they are/were probably the backbone of English/UK watch making renaissance over the last decade or so.
              'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!

Comment

For what it’s worth, I’m surprised nobody really uses the for sale section of this forum anymore. Seemed a good place for likeminded people to exchange money for watch.
                it died a death and people seem to prefer to use trademe and then moan about it.
                I have no doubt that if the Bremont was offered up there, it would be long gone. Popularity of that section would probably see things like speedys up occasionally. Just my opinion...
                Actively seeking Tuna of all shapes and sizes...to hunt your pride of lions...

Comment

And no TM Fees
                  'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!

Comment

Originally posted by Hammers View Post
                    All I can add is that it looks great on your wrist.

Plus for what it is worth I suspect that Bremont will be around in 20 years time, they are/were probably the backbone of English/UK watch making renaissance over the last decade or so.
                    Thanks very much, Hammers. The quote that you have on your posts aptly describes this situation and that's exactly why I asked for everyone's opinion

Comment

Originally posted by andrewing View Post
                      For what it’s worth, I’m surprised nobody really uses the for sale section of this forum anymore. Seemed a good place for likeminded people to exchange money for watch.
                      it died a death and people seem to prefer to use trademe and then moan about it.
                      I have no doubt that if the Bremont was offered up there, it would be long gone. Popularity of that section would probably see things like speedys up occasionally. Just my opinion...
                      Totally agree!!!

Comment

• chua
                        chua commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm perpetually waiting for dw's next clearance sale!

This topic reminds me of some points made in the recent video by IDguy: https://youtu.be/jNPZKDdRfC4

Some say that if you have to ask other people's opinions before buying a certain piece, then you shouldn't; pull the trigger on pieces that you know in your heart speak to you, ones that you don't need anyone else to validate for you. These pieces will are likely to give you the most joy for years to come

I understand your dilemma is more about which to buy first as both the speedy and Bremont speak to you strongly, but that Speedy itch will likely always be there, and any other purchases up until then will just get in the way until you are able to aquire one.

Comment

• Artemis12
                        Artemis12 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Nicely said Retlaw4 and I totally agree with you There is nothing worse than being side tracked by a short term purchase "Hit" its always best to go for the one you truly want, especially with so many other temptations

Hypothetically speaking, let's say that you find a great deal on a Speedmaster and you end up getting it. Will you still be getting this Bremont down the line ?

I think the speedmaster professional has, and will always have a broader appeal, if you care about this kind of stuff.
                      I personally do care and I tend to gravitate toward classic and/or timeless designs.
                      I would obviously never buy something that I don't like, just cause it is considered an icon ... but when I look at all the watches that are, in fact, considered to have a timeless design philosophy, I can certainly see and understand why so many people find them attractive

All that gibberish should be ignored when it's love at first sight

Comment

Originally posted by lepo76 View Post
                        Hypothetically speaking, let's say that you find a great deal on a Speedmaster and you end up getting it. Will you still be getting this Bremont down the line?

I think the speedmaster professional has, and will always have a broader appeal, if you care about this kind of stuff.
                        I personally do care and I tend to gravitate toward classic and/or timeless designs.
                        I would obviously never buy something that I don't like, just cause it is considered an icon ... but when I look at all the watches that are, in fact, considered to have a timeless design philosophy, I can certainly see and understand why so many people find them attractive

All that gibberish should be ignored when it's love at first sight
                        Hmm, good question, Lepo After the discussions here, I have been working very hard to find a Speedy. Thanks to Retlaw, I have joined an Australian FB forum. I got in touch with a dealer. So things are moving.

Totally agree with you on the Speedmaster. That is one watch I find incredibly attractive irrespective of age. The first time I saw it, I knew that's the one I am looking for. I did fell for the Bremont as well, but I still think I can live without it. But not the Speedy. I have to have that! Not because its an iconic watch, but just because I love it! I have other watches on my wishlist, but nothing like the urge to get a Speedy.

Comment

• kiwi.bloke
                          kiwi.bloke commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It will pass. There have been tons of them made, not that unique anymore.
                      Working...
                      X