polishing watch case

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• polishing watch case

hey all just wondering if anyone have any special tips on removing ultra fine scratches from watch casing? what can i use to restore the polished look? i heard that many use jewelry cloth (one that is used to polish silver) if so is there any particular brand that i should go for? many thanks in advance.

Cape Cod cloth has an excellent reputation especially for polishing out fine scratches on SS. Not to be used on brushed or fine plated surfaces. Some of the regular watch restoration members should be able to help.
    “I want to touch base on how we’ll synergize the pivot going forward”

Comment

+1

To go beyond the CC Cloth you really AFAIK need to start up in business w/ a pile of discs and rouge etc... um guess I have about a dozen various discs and mops etc and about a 1/2 dozen various rouges plus a few extra bits and bobs.

The CC cloth when new and wet will take the finest hairlines out, yes but only the finest as the cutting/polishing agent in the cloth is quite wimpy.

Don't use it on non-polished surfaces like stevegwb says.

For the textured/brushed parts test parts w/ a steelo pad, that sort of thing.. polish 1st, then apply texture/brush, tape the polish to protect it when brushing... remember it took me a few years and hundreds of goes and lots of fark-ups and $10k worth of equipment to get good results

Cape Cod cloth has an excellent reputation especially for polishing out fine scratches on SS.
      Harlan
      Timekeeper Watch Club
      Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Will add (again) I am polishing and grooming and cleaning cases etc MUCH less now I know a LITTLE bit more.
        Harlan
        Timekeeper Watch Club
        Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Depends what you're doing. I got a Cape Cod recently to try. I found that it was only marginally better than Brasso and a paper towel. Brasso does a great job on acrylic crystal too, but keep any of this stuff away from other types of crystals. Anything that Brasso or a Cape Cod can't do needs to be done by a pro.

Comment

thanks lots for the inputs
            yeah i got a old citizen eco-drive. it was given to me by dad as 21st present. been using it as daily beater until last year. the watch is still in perfect condition. no dings just lots of fine hairline scratches on the polished case. will like to return it to better condition then store it as the watch is rather special to me. will definitely stay away from the grinding tools and pads or heavy duty polishing agent as suggested. if i can't achieve what i want with cape cod cloth then i will probably leave the watch be.

Comment

do anyone know where i can get cape cod cloth from in NZ?

Comment

do anyone know where i can get cape cod cloth from in NZ?

Not sure if they are here. They are readily available on eBay. I'm pretty sure you can get metal polishing cloths here, but may not be Cape Cop.

Comment

Amazon also has them.
                  “I want to touch base on how we’ll synergize the pivot going forward”

Comment

thanks leroy. given that you have used brasso and cape cod which would you recommend? I want the least abrasive option as i never done this before and i dont want do more harm than good. if brasso is ok i might give it a try as its cheap and readily available (just saw it in the supermarket while i picked up some milk)

Comment

thanks leroy. given that you have used brasso and cape cod which would you recommend? I want the least abrasive option as i never done this before and i dont want do more harm than good. if brasso is ok i might give it a try as its cheap and readily available (just saw it in the supermarket while i picked up some milk)

I would say Brasso is worth a try, I was surprised at how good it was. I tried it after reading lots on other forums about polishing and basically came the conclusion that Brasso and CCCs are the only things worth trying for us novices. If they don't work you need a pro. Brasso does an awesome job on acrylic crystal too, but keep it away from your mineral crystal.

Comment

thanks again.
                        just picked up brasso from the supermarket and ordered CCC from amazon. gonna have a go at it in the weekend if the weather doesn't brighten up. will post some before and after pics if i get around to it.

Comment

Working...
                        X