Friday watch - 20 August 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday watch - 20 August 2010

Orient Poseidon 300m diver from Brazil..

Quick Specs:

•Orient 300m (Poseidon) 469SS 039
    •Orient in house Automatic Non-hacking/non-handwinding movement
    •40 hrs power reserve
    •Diameter: 46mm
    •Thickness: 17mm
    •Lug to Lug: 51mm
    •Lug Width: 24mm
    •Weight: 276g
    •Day and date display
    •He Valve
    •Water Resistance: 300m
    •Screw down crown and caseback
    •Uni-Directional rotating bezel

Cheers
    Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

Terrific photos, Tony. :thumbup:

An Orient Question: Most Orients feature the Orient "code of arms" on the dial, but some don't, and the latter includes those for the International market and some, like your Poseidon, are domestic market models. Is there a specific pattern to which Orient gets the twin lions and which don't? Is it merely a design consideration, or does the watch need to meet certain criteria? Just curious...Thank you.
    On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

Terrific photos, Tony. :thumbup:

An Orient Question: Most Orients feature the Orient "code of arms" on the dial, but some don't, and the latter includes those for the International market and some, like your Poseidon, are domestic market models. Is there a specific pattern to which Orient gets the twin lions and which don't? Is it merely a design consideration, or does the watch need to meet certain criteria? Just curious...Thank you.

I would like to sound really knowledgeable about this.. but... I just don't know..
      Tony Lewis
      New Zealand

Comment

I would like to sound really knowledgeable about this.. but... I just don't know..

That's good enough for me ...it was a silly question anyway.
        On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

A thought about Orient coat of arms on some watches.. perhaps they were trying to look European with their offerings..
          Tony Lewis
          New Zealand

Comment

Maybe we should start a thread to brainstorm, Tony?

I'm looking through their "New Model Catalog 08-09" now and trying to find a pattern. It seems that some are design consideration, i.e. there isn't enough room on the dial to include CoA, though this doesn't seem to be a problem with some others where they're even separated the ORIENT and the logo onto different corners.

The CoA is "applied", so would that indicate more cost and labour involved? Though really, many entry level models also sport the applied logo.

Among the Men's watch, I can think of two models that were recently discontinued that have no CoA, but one of them was replaced by a model with the CoA.

(this post is useless without pics ... so will need to steal some here and there)

Comment

Maybe we should be comparing apples with apples .
              This is a Brazilian model not a Japan model .
              So we should be looking at the Brazilian Orients for comparison .

Then again my Orient "revolver" doesn't have the coat of arms ,
              but it has the orient Star logo.
              :? :? :?
              Rest easy Matty , My best Mate and Son

Comment

Maybe we should be comparing apples with apples .
                This is a Brazilian model not a Japan model .
                So we should be looking at the Brazilian Orients for comparison .

Then again my Orient "revolver" doesn't have the coat of arms ,
                but it has the orient Star logo.
                :? :? :?

That's because it is the Orient Star.. :D

Just like my Orient World Heritage LE has a different logo again.. similar to Orient Star but with WH letters..

Cheers
                Tony Lewis
                New Zealand

Comment

Ok... some illustrated examples of Orient from the international release...

Orient 100m "Sub" 2ET00001B (recently discontinued)... without the Orient "Code of Arms".

(Image source: Oriental Watch Site)

It was survived by this Orient 100m "Sub" CER00007B0 with sapphire crystal...with CoA.

(Image source: Sky Watch Dealers)

Another is the Orient Military Slide-Rule Titanium CEM58002... without CoA

(Image source: Roachman.com)

There's plenty more, especially the quartz watches. Ladies watches are usual san-CoA, as there's not enough room on the smaller dial.

Comment

The Orient Coat of Arms, has always reminded me of the Benson & Hedges cigarette packet logo. I strangely quite like it although I am a non-smoker.
                    Give sarcasm a chance.

Comment

The Orient Coat of Arms, has always reminded me of the Benson & Hedges cigarette packet logo. I strangely quite like it although I am a non-smoker.

It does, doesn't it. Maybe it's the combination of the CoA and the "ORIENT" font that reminds me of scotch or cognac of some type.

The twin lions have changed only slightly throughout the years. Here are some for comparison, from Orients that have passed my way.

First, the King Diver 21 from approx. 1969. It has an applied ORIENT script, and according to Tony L, was made in Japan.

Next, a Multi-Eye from 1996...

A current King Master "Slide Rule"...

And last, the current GMT...

Notice, also, the different fonts used for the ORIENT script for these last three.

Comment

Working...
                      X