Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goodbye Kobold!

hello 3713-003 :D

After a not inconsiderable time wondering I was presented with one of those opportunities that you have to say yes too. I had never intended to let the Surveyour go but this is just a step up for me, Mr Habring at his best of old.

Attached files

“Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
    Always aim to be that man.

Wow, nice mate. [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Comment

Very nice John.. you should now be able to get those boiled eggs perfect.. :D
      Tony Lewis
      New Zealand

Comment

Nice one John. Definitely an IWC classic.
        “I want to touch base on how we’ll synergize the pivot going forward”

Comment

cheers gents, unfortunately i would see the thing until xmas

it is one of those watches that i think will become more and more appreciated in the world of WISdom as time goes on. the Habring redesign of a stalwart movement and really one of the last IWC's produced before the Richemont machine moved in.
          still a little miffed to see the Kobold go but the logic part of the brain is winning the fight to explain that as a WIS based decision it was a no brainer.

now, while i like the bracelet for what it is and i do find the aesthetics pleasing i dont actually like it on the watch? too much steel for my liking so i think a nice Bund or fleiger leather may be in order.

IWC 3713-003 Doppelchronograph (double chronograph) from December 2000 on the amazing IWC bracelet. Stainless steel, 42mm diameter. This was the best of the IWC Flieger range, the absolute flagship of the pre-Richemont era of IWC.

Outer cardboard box, inner pearwood box, warranty card from Tourneau dated 12/13/2000, instruction manual, barcode sticker and unopened cleaning cloth are all present.

For anyone who doesn't know, the movement is based on a Valjoux 7750 but in those days, they were bought as simple ebauches and heavily modified in-house by IWC themselves (rather than nowadays companies buying completed movements from ETA to their specification and simply inserting them). Richard Habring designed the double chronograph module, also known as a split-second chronograph or rattrapante, allowing two independent timing events to be timed with a second chronograph hand which travels with the main chrono second until stopped, started and reset with the pusher at 10 o'clock. Mesmerising to watch and an amazing complication for a fan of chronographs. Day and date as per normal 7750 with an English datewheel. Dial has a lovely mix of Luminova with Tritium on the cardinal point markers and the hands. It gives it a really traditional, almost vintage feel.

roll on Xmas

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!

Comment

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous piece of kit I still can't believe the Kobold is for the boot though
            Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance

Comment

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
              Love it ,
              Agree on the bracelet , to much steel .
              Maybe a Sinn leather or its cheaper clone
              A Di-Modell Chronissimo at half the price but still reputable quality
              Rest easy Matty , My best Mate and Son

Comment

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous piece of kit I still can't believe the Kobold is for the boot though
                not FOR the boot, it is gone! off to the UK to its new owner on monday. his collection is taking a bit of a new direction and i think he will be shipping his UX and using the Kobold as his utility watch (nice watch to use too). i think i have come to terms with the exit of the Kobold already, if i swapped it for a new or shiny thing i think i would be a bit unsure but trading up to something with a bit of history and innovation to it seems more acceptable for some reason.

Agree on the bracelet , to much steel .
                Maybe a Sinn leather or its cheaper clone
                A Di-Modell Chronissimo at half the price but still reputable quality

the Di-M could be a good option actually :thumbup: 21mm lugs are a bit of a twat for rigid leather but the Sinn 22 or Di should be supple enough to fit in. the bracelet is lovely and i will give it a chance on the wrist but i think i know already :roll:

Comment

I suppose each to his own but I like the look of the watch with the steel strap :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Comment

I suppose each to his own but I like the look of the watch with the steel strap :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Me as well. My Ball Skindiver has a similar heavy link / mesh strap and against expectations I absolutely love it. Also being an IWC the strap will be high quality.

Comment

My Ball Skindiver

Attached files

Comment

My Ball Skindiver

Yeah I know, a little surprised it has taken this long
                        Could get really silly and start talking about how it works well with the wrist

Comment

i hate this bit, its on its way. currently with Youshop UK and on its way. Beastie will have it in his grubbies this time next week and i will see it in 4weeks time :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Attached files

Comment

Beastie very kindly agreed to photograph it and model it for me :evil:

Attached files

Comment

its actually a lot bigger than i thought for a 42mm case, i think the extra pusher at 10 makes quite a difference and all the steel, which i actually think looks pretty good now. bracelet looks lovely too.

not too shabby next to the UX either.

Attached files

Comment

Working...
                              X