vintage pocketwatches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vintage pocketwatches

Anyone on this site that experienced with IWC vintage pocket watches?
    \"if you come to a fork in the road...take it!\"

Hi and welcome :thumbup: . A bit of an ambiguous question. What would you like to know
    Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance

Comment

I had some trouble with login...but yes my questions:
      Here you see a International Watch Co Schffhausen Full Hunter, Sav. c. 53 - 19lig.
      H 5. 14K. antique pocket watch dating from the year 1913.The case was most probably produced resp. delivered around 1915
      A couple of questions:
      In the Sav. c. 53 - 19lig. H 5 designation, does anyone know if the ~19lig. mean 19 jewels? and would there be a particular importance to the "H 5" ? I believe it is an acrylic crystal. Possibly the origonal glass was replaced at some point...but does this affect value? Also, though it is stamped 14k, I am not sure if it would be most probably "yellow gold" or "rose gold" or even "gold filled"?
      I know from my current watch research that It would be doubtful that it would be solid gold as solid gold is too soft a material to form a durable case with. Your opinons on the above questions are greatly appreciated.

Comment

I would post a photo...but cannot see here yet how to upload

Comment

Certainly sounds like you have quite a nice watch jordachex. The numbers you have given lead me to believe you have a 14K solid gold case, housing a IWC 53 19"'H5 Hunter calibre, stem wound lever set movement with 15 or 16 jewels. The 19 lig you refer to is the size designation of the movement "19 Ligne".

One French ligne=2.25583mm or roughly 2ΒΌ mm. Thus a 10 ligne movement should measure 22.5mm. In inches this would be 0.8881 as the LIGNE is equal to .0888 parts of an inch.

The replacement crystal should not affect the value of the piece. Most collectors accept that a watch of this age will have had at least one glass replacement.

It would help to confirm what I've said if you could post some pictures of the watch, it's movement and the stamped marks on the inside of the cuvette (covers)

Comment

Thank you so much Captain Scarlet for your reply and important information!
            [Democracy is the worst form of government..........Except for all the others.]
            *Winston Churchill I believe?
            I am working on some photos and will post asap. The only issue I seem to have with this watch is that you wind it...and it runs fine for about 5 hrs. Then you have to wind it again. I thought the average run time for a pocket watch should be at least 12 hrs before a re~wind. I am hoping that this is a basic cleaning and oiling issue...and not a worn mainspring (as IWC parts may be very hard to find for this age watch). Your thoughts?

Comment

I, along with others will look forward to the photo's :thumbup: . Without seeing your watch, the problem you describe does sound like you have a mainspring issue. Your movement should run for around 30 hours on a full wind. You can still get hold of these fairly readily. There is one for sale now for example, in Sweden of all places and is just over $40 NZD. If you type "IWC cal 53 mainspring" into your browser, you may find it. When you have your watch cleaned the watchmaker will have access to the mainspring anyway so replacement will be easy. It may be a different story if the "stop work" on the barrel is damaged though.
              Regarding my signature....I believe Winston was famous for saying it, but I think he nicked it from someone else.....Bloomin Brits

Comment

...a very basic operation guide...

Attached files

Comment

Further to your drawing attached to the spring barrel (No1 bloke is sitting on it, who incidentally bears a striking resemblance to me ) there should be a "stop work mechanism" or "geneva stop work" Maltese cross. Similar to this.
                  I'm sure if you google "Geneva stop work" you will find out it's function and how it works. This mechanism could be related to the fault you are experiencing

Attached files

Comment

yes I see...below the main spring. I will research. Excellent observation. Thank you mate.

Comment

Hi, you may be interested in this all 18 carat gold IWC I serviced back in May, sounds like it could be a little later model than your one but is IWC 53. Does yours have the slide piece to engage hand set? Check it out here https://www.timekeeper.co.nz/viewtop...p=50984#p50984
                      Very nice watch and in magnificent condition.
                      I would suggest that your problem is more likely related to dry oil or a mechanical problem with the watch. Please don't wind it or use it until it has been checked. I am more than happy to service it for you. PM me if you like.

Comment

Working...
                      X