Speedmaster Project Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedmaster Project Questions

Last week bought a watch from the strangest auction on Trademe I've seen. It had red flags all over it;

1/ The seller had only 5 trades total and none were sales,
    2/ His user name was a Jeweler shop that actually exists but he said he had to take the watch to a Jeweler to open it,
    3/ The watch was missing a couple of hands because of moisture damage
    4/ His pics were terrible :thumbdown:

BUT, the watch was something I've been mulling over for some time now and there was just enough info to raise my interest. Anyway on the day it was ending I was travelling out of range when I remembered the auction was closing so I asked a mate to put in an auto bid and to my surprise I won. It turns out that the seller is actually a really nice guy who was very helpful after the sale.

I've had it checked out by my watch maker and the movement is running sweetly with no need to service it which is a bonus. The posts for the missing hands are in good shape, another worry gone. The dial is mint but the hands are manky with the paint starting to flake in a few areas. He thinks he can remove the engraving on the case back without affecting the Speedmaster logo

So it needs a new crystal and I can keep the original hands and clean off the 40yrs of man grime and keep it how it is OR I can get a whole set of new hands (Cool because then they can be read at night but not cool because they will not match the rest of the watch)

I can keep the case and case back as they are OR I can have the engraving removed from the case back and give the case a LIGHT polish.

Which would you do? Leave it original or new hands, remove the engraving and polish the case?

I'm interested to hear your views please.

Cheers
    \"Everyone needs a hobby\" James Bond, Skyfall

Great project and a canny buy. You need 2 new hands anyway so maybe getting all new hands isn't a big deal. I would leave the engraving, I have a vintage with engraving and honestly it doesn't worry me. A new crystal would help and a very light polish or just leave it. :thumbup:
    “I want to touch base on how we’ll synergize the pivot going forward”

Comment

Nice!

If I was you I would probably:
      1. get a set of hands and replace them (but I'll keep the originals - you need two chrono counters hands anyway, doubt they would match so why not just replace all of them)
      2. won't polish the case, it's a vintage piece and all those marks are its history
      3. engravings... would probably leave it as it is unless it is something really ugly
      4. crystal... isn't it one of those plastic ones which can be easily polished? :roll:

Comment

Thanks guys, it was one of those times when things fall into place for a change :D

crystal... isn't it one of those plastic ones which can be easily polished?

The crystal is cracked in places and beyond a polish. The chrono pushers have been incorrectly installed too but can be put right.

2. won't polish the case, it's a vintage piece and all those marks are its history
        3. engravings... would probably leave it as it is unless it is something really ugly

I agree with both of you about the history :thumbup: The engraving is ok and quite small but there are UGLY scratches from some animal trying to open the caseback that was what started the conversation with my watchmaker about polishing. It's worse than anything I've seen so far It's a bloody shame because the Seamonster etc are in really good condition for one of these. Most of them have worn off completely

Comment

you took it :D good man, i thought about it as i think i have a set of hands to replace the knackered and missing on it. i think Omega made the posts on the 861 same as the lemania 5100 to use the same hand sets. i have a second hand and a register hand if you want to try them? if it were me i would leave the hands you have on it as they look the part and the hands i have are from the same era so wont look out of place. i think you got a good un there :thumbup: pm me if you want to try the hands. Ofrei will defo carry the crystal and gaskets for it, maybe a new case back too?
          “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
          Always aim to be that man.

Comment

you took it :D good man, i thought about it as i think i have a set of hands to replace the knackered and missing on it. i think Omega made the posts on the 861 same as the lemania 5100 to use the same hand sets. i have a second hand and a register hand if you want to try them? if it were me i would leave the hands you have on it as they look the part and the hands i have are from the same era so wont look out of place. i think you got a good un there :thumbup: pm me if you want to try the hands. Ofrei will defo carry the crystal and gaskets for it, maybe a new case back too?

Cheers John, PM sent

Comment

A good purchase. Some times what seems like a crazy risk can pay off. I would accept the offer of free hands. Purchase a new crystal because they are quite affordable. I would put on a display back to solve the scratches and engravings issue. And I would then enjoy my new speedy. Congrats

Comment

I would put on a display back to solve the scratches and engravings issue. And I would then enjoy my new speedy. Congrats

Cheers Jewels, I woould never have thought of the display back TBH. I think one of the special things about this model is that it is the very last Speedmaster with the old case back. That and the Dot over 90 bezel being in good shape were what made me throw down for it. After hearing what you guys all have to say I'm going to see if Deerworriers hands will fit, throw a new crystal on it, clean it and wear the hell out of it for a while Then I'll have a think about doing anything else to it once I've enjoyed it for a while.

Thanks heaps for your thoughts guys. They have been very helpful

Comment

Well I've been out all evening and completely missed this thread. It looks as though you have got it sorted Pete :thumbup:
                  Very nice indeed
                  Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance

Comment

Well I've been out all evening and completely missed this thread. It looks as though you have got it sorted Pete :thumbup:
                    Very nice indeed

Cheers Captain. I'm really surprised with this watch. It wears much bigger than a 42mm watch which is surprising for a case designed in the early 60's. It is nice and thin too which is something I've come to appreciate since I started taking an interest in vintage watches.

I made a decision earlier in the year that I would buy 3 watches as keepers for my 50th year on the planet, 1/ Lemania 5100 based Speedmaster Mk 4.5 or a TV dial like Deerworriers, tick, 2/ Pre-Moon Speedmaster, tick and lastly a Seamaster 300 no-date with sword hands which I am still working on. TBH, the SM300 is the most daunting one because being divers they nearly all have replacement parts or the originals look like crap. I'm actually thinking about building one from NOS parts so I just don't have to worry about all that stuff and I can dive with it.

Comment

Have a look at Watchco on Ebay They are Melbourne Aussy based and specialize in vintage Omega parts . Some of the prices for what you need can be ridiculously low as they start everything at $1 reserve I seem to remember they had a few speedy casebacks. A few years ago I got a Breitling dial for 99 cents plus postage, nett result a brand NOS date correct dial landed in NZ for NZ$3.22 . If I had bought in through a NZ AD I would probably be still paying it off.
                      I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

I'm actually thinking about building one from NOS parts so I just don't have to worry about all that stuff and I can dive with it.

I thought there was one on TM last week? I have actually been tossing up doing the same. Does the 1960s SM300 have a screw down crown? I would be quite fun to assemble a full watch from the NOS parts available - although I am guessing I would have to find a donor movement. I think I know what I will be doing tonight on the interweb!

Comment

I'm actually thinking about building one from NOS parts so I just don't have to worry about all that stuff and I can dive with it.

I thought there was one on TM last week? I have actually been tossing up doing the same. Does the 1960s SM300 have a screw down crown? I would be quite fun to assemble a full watch from the NOS parts available - although I am guessing I would have to find a donor movement. I think I know what I will be doing tonight on the interweb!

It is still on there. I was stalking it until the reserve went up $750 because another one sold for more on Ebay last night It's this kind of thing that makes building one more and more attractive every day. I have the complete parts list to do it. For me the hardest thing to find is a no-date dial at a good price. PM me if you want the list mate.

Have a look at Watchco on Ebay They are Melbourne Aussy based and specialize in vintage Omega parts . Some of the prices for what you need can be ridiculously low as they start everything at $1 reserve I seem to remember they had a few speedy casebacks. A few years ago I got a Breitling dial for 99 cents plus postage, nett result a brand NOS date correct dial landed in NZ for NZ$3.22 . If I had bought in through a NZ AD I would probably be still paying it off.

Thanks Doc, I will be scouring the known parts sellers over the weekend

Comment

Just looked and found it again - looks OK I guess. Pity about the crown. It also pays to ring Watchco. I got my fat lady from them and also some parts due to me picking it up in person and actually chatting to them about what I wanted. Fairly rough and ready office... They seem to churn out the SM300 made up of NOS parts. So many watches, so little time!

Comment

Working...
                            X