Omega Seamaster - questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omega Seamaster - questions

1. Should all seamasters have the seamaster crest engraved on the case back ?

Does it entirely depend on model, year etc or are there some 'golden rules'

2. Where do Omega record their serial numbers - from a brief search of the web it appears different places depending again on model, year etc - Yes/No ?

All help appreciated.

Cheers.
    'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!

If you are refering to the seamaster monster ? then no I have several seamasters from early 60's till modern some have the monster some don't on some it is in relief and on one it is just an engraving .Don't know the reason why. As to dating your seamaster try
    http://www.chronomaddox.com/omega_serial_numbers.html
    good luck let us know the outcome
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

Thanks

Yep mean't the monster.

In terms of serial numbers I was meaning where do you normally find the serial number recorded ? Always in the same place ? on the inside of the case back or does it vary again model to model and year to year ?

Thanks - always wanting to learn more....
      'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!

Comment

1. Should all seamasters have the seamaster crest engraved on the case back ?

I might be wrong, but I'm actually under the impression that "all" Seamasters made since 1948 carry the sea horse (or its proper name, the hippocamp) on their case backs. Not all were relief--many were just lightly etched, and may have worn off since.

The reverse, though, is not true. Not all Omega featuring the hippocamp case backs are Seamasters. Some, like the Speedmaster, used to be part of the Seamaster range, while others--like the vintage Omega Chronostop--had Seamaster case back, even though they weren't part of the Seamaster line. There were some really confusing Omega made in the 1970s.

( ...not sure what this gentleman is doing, but he seems to really like his hippocamp)

2. Where do Omega record their serial numbers - from a brief search of the web it appears different places depending again on model, year etc - Yes/No ?

You are probably talking about the "case numbers", as there are also "movement numbers"? If so, yes, vintage Seamaster have case numbers stamped on the inside of the case back. Modern Seamaster carry this number on the underside of one of the lugs, either near the 7 or 11 o'clock position. These are very small laser etched serials.

Movement numbers are, of course, on the movement plate.
        On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

Don I own a seamaster marked Seamaster 600 with the Hippocamp (Thanks for that), logo engraved in the caseback and another roughly same vintage just dial marked Seamaster with a blank caseback I spose it could be a replacement back as the watch is well old enough (about 59 to 61) but I don't know I will be guided by your knowlege .To comment on your posted picture that is a horse not a hippo but the word camp could well be applied to the "man" After all who owns the tail? and what is going on under the water ? I bet that is an Italian statue they are all poofs there anyway.

Comment

Don I own a seamaster marked Seamaster 600 with the Hippocamp (Thanks for that), logo engraved in the caseback and another roughly same vintage just dial marked Seamaster with a blank caseback I spose it could be a replacement back as the watch is well old enough (about 59 to 61) but I don't know I will be guided by your knowlege...

Doc, don't follow me, I'm lost too. :?

Um, could it have been etched with the Hippocamp originally, and then worn off? It's easy to know if it's a replacement, as the inside of the case back has the Reference. This has to then match the watch. Could be worth a look.
            On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

I think ALL of the above is true. Except for the "all Italians are poofs", that is not conclusive. Eventhough all of the empirical evidence points to it being true, I am sure that there must be some Italians that love women (how else would you explain a FERARRI??)

It was very confusing of OMEGA to start using the "Seahorse" relief on other watch editions. I believe the original demonation as a "Seamaster", watch was based on the casing employed, and hence waterproof "Seamaster", casing was applied to all sorts of OMEGA editions.

Just my 2cents.
              Give sarcasm a chance.

Comment

...how else would you explain a FERARRI??...

With the possible exception of this one....

Comment

Thank you Jodster Thank you Don I stand corrected on the all Italians are poofs quote, it was thoughtless and misleading I mean't, of course, the French. As to seamaster casebacks on other than seamasters as a working glazier often we will turn up to a job that should use say 4mm thick glass .You have used up all your 4mm stock so you wack in a piece of 5mm, customer dose'nt care they just want a window fixed .Omega probably ran out of speedy casebacks but had an abundance of seamasters so wack em in it's only a watch and you can't see the logo whilst on the wrist. If anyone complains change it at the first service and charge accordingly

Comment

Hey guys thanks for all the useful info - prompted from what I thought was a simple question ! :?

And also happy that the discussion went in a few other amusing directions. :D

Comment

sometimes happens like that thanks for the question

Comment

Working...
                      X