Omega Speedmaster Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omega Speedmaster Project

I have always been a big fan of the Speedmaster Pro and was surprised when this one popped up on trademe a few months ago with a $50 reserve. I watched it with interest expecting it to get a fair bit of attention but to my surprise I won it for a steal. It is a case with dial and movement ring/dust cover but no movement. I was hoping someone could tell me what year it might be from and what movement is correct for it.

Attached files

Being an Omega pro I thought you might have known this already.
    According to the Omega website the reference 145.0012 is from 1966 and should have a cal 321 movement.
    Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance

Comment

Unless pro stands for project aha!

So the caseback seems like it could be from 1966 but the bezel is a bit strange as it has 220 on the tachymetre where it should read 200. Also it is not a "dot over 90" which indicates it could be from a bit later than 67 maybe?

Comment

I think the 0012 or the extra 0 in the no. indicates a replacement case since new (not a bad thing just not the original case/case back. I cant see from the pictures but the dial should read "T swiss made T" for it to be original to the 321 movement it changed to the swiss made dropping the T when tritium was banned and luminova became the norm and the 321 should be in the back, check the number on the movement when you get a chance. the bezel looks genuine (going by the tachymetre type face) but is a later replacement part.

all this said, if its got a nice 321 in the back and you can get the parts easy enough and cheap enough it will make a nice old watch for the collection :thumbup:

edit: I cant be sure but it looks like the omega logo is printed on? not sure but I think the 166/67 321 models all had applied omega logo on dial

and I have just read it has no movement! basically its a collection of parts for you to start building a speedmaster :thumbup:
        “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
        Always aim to be that man.

Comment

The good news is i have found a 321 movement from 1966. The bad news is that its missing a few parts. Hopefully nothing too hard to find. I will order in a new dial and hand set from Ofrei.

Attached files

Comment

I'm slowly collecting parts for this. My latest purchase was a group of watches which came with some Speedmaster parts. So now I have pushers, a crown and a spare bezel.

Attached files

Comment

10 out of 10 for effort sir i like your style and doubt you will own a more rewarding watch than one which took such measures to resurrect.

i salute you :thumbup:
              “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
              Always aim to be that man.

Comment

good luck on the project. i had a couple Speedys some time ago I got put together - if you get stuck for parts send me a message, may be able to see if I can try to help

Comment

Thanks thats a kind offer. I'm trying to decide if I should go for a brand new service dial for us$150 or try and find a vintage tritium dial which seem to go for upwards of $300 and are usually damaged in some way.

Comment

Go vintage. It'll be more in keeping with the look of the rest of the watch. A new dial with old hands looks a bit weird.

EDIT: Unless you are getting new hands as well of course! ops:
                    I\'m not saying kill all the stupid people. I\'m just saying remove all the warning labels and the problem will sort itself out.

Comment

I agree completely if I can find a nice vintage dial in the next month or so I will jump on it. Otherwise I'll go for new hands and dial.

Comment

Working...
                      X