Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fair Go Seamaster

This is an interesting clip.
    Strange that the watch was taken overseas for a service, with better advice from the jeweler (i.e. a local watchmaker could have serviced the watch) the whole palaver could have been avoided. Also seems pretty stingy that customs are still going to claim tax on parts replaced.
    All the same, it's nice to have a good look at a beautiful target dial Seamaster.

http://tvnz.co.nz/fair-go/watch-video-6094921

I watched that when it was on a couple of weeks ago. Bad form all round as far as I'm concerned :evil: :thumbdown:
    Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance

Comment

I watched that when it was on a couple of weeks ago. Bad form all round as far as I'm concerned :evil: :thumbdown:

Even more so when you consider the move by the parent company to insist that the watches are sent back overseas for repair..
      Tony Lewis
      New Zealand

Comment

Apparently there are no watchmakers capable of fixing such a fine timepiece in New Zealand :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
        I\'m not saying kill all the stupid people. I\'m just saying remove all the warning labels and the problem will sort itself out.

Comment

No worries nick. We all know the truth!
          Actively seeking Tuna of all shapes and sizes...to hunt your pride of lions...

Comment

Interesting story. What I was wondering was what happens if the thing you take out of the country appreciates while away, I believe in theory it should be taxed on the increase, in essence what this lady spent on the watch overseas was taxed as an improvement.
            If the watch was valued before it left the country and then was revalued after, then the difference could have been more than the cost of parts fitted. Food for thought, its a discussion I may have with the authorities in the future.

Comment

Interesting story. What I was wondering was what happens if the thing you take out of the country appreciates while away, I believe in theory it should be taxed on the increase, in essence what this lady spent on the watch overseas was taxed as an improvement.
              If the watch was valued before it left the country and then was revalued after, then the difference could have been more than the cost of parts fitted. Food for thought, its a discussion I may have with the authorities in the future.

Hope not.. next thing they'll want to tax anything you own that appreciates in value.. certainly not something to discuss with the authorities.. they come up with enough bad taxation..

IMHO the lady should not have been charged anything more than the GST on the repair cost and if it was charged overseas then should not have been charged again here..

End of the day the watch should have been serviced in New Zealand.. there should have been no need for it to be sent overseas..
              Tony Lewis
              New Zealand

Comment

Tony, absolutely it should have been fixed in NZ.

The Labour party of course want to tax capital gain on some investments only I believe, only a small step to all investments.

And of course everything that comes into the country and its freight must have GST on it.

In theory if you were coming into NZ with say a vintage Rolex that you had had for ages but couldn't prove prior ownership they could try to charge tax on that. If you were to travel with three or more watches, which I am sure some do, it could look a bit suspect.

Just something to keep in mind.

Comment

Working...
                X