Custom Speedmaster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Speedmaster

Custom my Co-Axial Broad Arrow into this carbon fibre racing face.

Attached files

I was going to say... "cool mod" but then I saw you did it to a broad arrow! my favorite speedy, so for this you must be birched in public
    its a looker and I like the dial pattern :thumbup:
    how do you get on with the display back? I always like the look of them but the few I have owned always seem to be less comfortable on my wrist? not the slight increase in depth but the actual crystal against the skin seems to make me adjust it every 2minutes!
    “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
    Always aim to be that man.

Comment

I was going to say... "cool mod" but then I saw you did it to a broad arrow! my favorite speedy, so for this you must be birched in public
      its a looker and I like the dial pattern :thumbup:
      how do you get on with the display back? I always like the look of them but the few I have owned always seem to be less comfortable on my wrist? not the slight increase in depth but the actual crystal against the skin seems to make me adjust it every 2minutes!

I wondered what the response from the military wstch community might be..
      Tony Lewis
      New Zealand

Comment

I wondered what the response from the military watch community might be..

he's safe enough as most of that lot think anything over 36mm is clown sized and a passing fad that will die out as quickly as it arrived, so only 100yrs to go. the modern broad arrow was never actually an issued watch was it? I thought it was just a take on the old school hand design more than the "broad arrow".

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!

Comment

Not exactly vandalism, after all it is your watch, daresay the new dial was pricey?
          What I'm interested in though John is the accuracy of the coaxial movement.
          I thought they would be about as good as it gets coupled with synthetic oil, but
          seem to recall reading somewhere on the forums here that the coaxial escapement
          wasn't much if any better than the Sinn escapement with it's special anti-friction
          coating. Have you read George Daniels book who invented the coaxial?
          No body in the Swiss watch industry was interested in it for almost 20yrs!
          cheers.

Comment

one mans vandalism is anothers cool watch :D

I haven't read any Daniels books but have read extracts and from my limited reading I understand that the co-axial was never about accuracy (day rate in isolation) it was about precision (day rate over time or consistent accuracy) and reliability. the coax was designed as a reduced maintenance advancement to the lever escapement and its no wonder nobody bought into it, why spend more money building something that needs less maintenance when punters will pay full price for what they get already? then the competition heated up and Omega (see swatch) needed a wedge to get into the rolex market and a new all singing all dancing movement was a good ticket. you will notice that whatever swatch did with the design it increased the price of the unit but they don't say you need to service it less? Odd

again, my limited reading and somewhat sceptical view of the Swiss watch industry coming to the fore!

Comment

I must say, I prefer the look of the Broad Arrow, however it would be easy to change it back if the need arose. Still a nice looking watch :thumbup: I am a little confused over the coaxial angle though. Being that the coaxial escapement is just one element of the movement as a whole, so don't service intervals for the less advanced parts of the movement remain the same
              Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance

Comment

I was actually thinking about buying a pre-owned 3303 Racing and swap the dial and hands over to this broad arrow. Luckily I found all the parts I needed for this mod from Ofrei, save me the trouble of getting stuck with another 3xxx movement. So, that would tell you how much I love this carbon fibre face. I didn't know the history of moon watch when I first took interest in mechanical watch 8 years ago, and this Speedmaster Racing is a love at first sight.
                The co-axial was relatively a new thing that Omega promise so much in their campaign back then, sadly it didn't deliver that well for me. It is only after the bad experience with this 3313, that I started to appreciate the Lemania base movement.
                I found this broad arrow at a pre-owned trader, it was selling at the same price of a pre-owned Racing 3303, Display case back, co-axial, it is only logical to go for this than a 3303.
                From my owned experience the co-axial escapement accuracy is a bit over rated on this 3313(my Sinn 756 Diapal 7750 cost much less and do as good if not better), it is now regulated to +1 to +6 (320 degree amplitude) full wound at the 5 position Omega had in their service manual by the watch maker that did the servicing, It is a good movement in term of accuracy, but definitely not a robust one, the self winding mechanism had broken and jam up the whole machine 3 months ago(watch is 8 years old). That's why I sent it in with the new dial for service.
                Cost me 400USD for the dial, hands and shipping from Ofrei.
                The sapphire case back doesn't annoyed me at all, on or off my wrist, I am happy just watching it ticks, and happier staring at the carbon dial
                Sorry I ruin your Broad Arrow face.

Comment

Working...
                X