Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servicing Omega Planet Ocean 2500 and pressure test

Hi there,

Was hoping to get some advice about pressure testing and servicing in the New Zealand market.

My day to day watch is my PO 2500 which I've owned now for about five years. It was bought new in 2011.

Since then it continues to keep good time for me(I don't measure formally) and has been a pleasure to wear. I don't baby it, as I feel watches should be worn, so it accompanies me to work, swimming, hiking, working outside in the garden etc.

Recently my father in laws Omega Seamaster Professional 300m let in water. He lives in Palmerston North and we're in Hamilton so he had it with him while up visiting. As I didn't know any better, I brought it up to Nairns in Auckland for repair on his behalf.

While in the store I was speaking with the staff and was quite surprised by both the price of servicing and the servicing policies there. The cost of service was $840 and this would include inspection, drying, replacement of worn parts and new gaskets, etc.

Of note, this is the same price they quoted if I were to have had my PO fully serviced by them also. I spoke with my father in law via phone and while expensive, he just wanted it sorted so the watch was left with Nairns to sort for a few weeks. (It's been about two months now and it's still up there)

I also enquired about getting my PO pressure checked and was told they don't do pressure checks but they could do a $240 partial service that would check the gaskets and quickly assess the movement for obvious wear. The watch would need to stay with them for a few weeks though as they were quite busy.

I was quite surprised by this as I've read multiple times on sites like WatchUSeek about users having their POs quickly pressure tested in Omega boutiques/ADs for a few dollars before the start of summer.

So quite befuddled at this stage I asked what I should do annually if I wanted to know it was safe to swim with? It seems the answer to this is a full $840 service every four years (that comes with 2 yr warranty on the work) and a $240 partial service every 2 yrs to check the gaskets etc. I said I'd need time to think it over as I hadn't budgeted for a $240 pressure test and so the parting line was don't get it wet and wait until I'm ready.

So essentially, cost of maintenance is $1,000 every 4 years but without being able to assess pressure testing annually. This seems very expensive and while I appreciate that these timepieces need maintenance work, the cynic in me is thinking that this is a monopoly indulging in extortion practices. This is my feeling even more so when I received a follow up email advising that the dial on my father in laws Seamaster had faded and would have to be replaced bring the total to $1,230. I promptly advised we were happy with the original dial so stick with the $840 service.

Since then I've been thinking a lot about this hobby and it's put the breaks on me buying any new pieces until I can sort out the financial implications. My other favourite watch is a Hamilton 38mm Khaki handwind running a 2804-2 movement which was $600 new but God knows how much that'd be to service.

I'm certainly not hard up but I suspect I can get more bang for my buck when it comes to servicing etc. Is this the unfortunate state of owning Swiss watches in New Zealand or is it just naivety on our part for going to the "approved service centre"?

Even if I could find somewhere trustworthy to pressure test my PO annually I'd consider spending the $840 at Nairns for interval servicing but honestly I'd probably do that every 6-7 yrs depending on how it's keeping time.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

Aidan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's probably not much to add really as I think you've thought it through thoroughly. The reason some places won't do pressure tests is due to chance of a catastrophic failure. They probably have insurance to cover breakages, but for high end watches it could possibly only be valid during a full service. FWIW $840 for a full service of an Omega which includes some consumable parts isn't totally unreasonable, but possibly at the higher end.
    In the future I'd recommend starting at an independent service centre. Some of them might struggle to get parts now, but they'll have a bit of a stockpile and will be able to do most things for you. Possibly with more care and for a better rate too. There's plenty of options, but some of the more commonly recommended ones are:

• Watches on Broadway (Newmarket)
    • Precision Watch Co (New Lynn)
    • Milford Watches (Milford)
    • Auckland Watch Co (Queen St)
    • Watch World (Albany - Seiko NZ distributor)
    • Ilam Watches (Chch)

Among others. I've used Ilam Watches and Watches on Broadway and highly recommend both.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Leroy. So what do you fellows do with your divers regarding water resistance and servicing?

Do you just get them serviced at the prescribed interval and assume the gaskets are intact between those services?

Comment

For most of us that only need daily wear sort of water resistance on lower level watches I would imagine it would be that at the most.
        I don't actually dive so someone else will have to comment on those circumstances.

Comment

I don't dive anymore either but swim often but I guess that's unlikely to be an issue.

Comment

With the Swiss attitude to servicing why would anyone of average means even consider buying one of these higher priced Swiss watches?
            It didn't used to be this way.

I have in for service a 1959 Rolex Tudor Oyster Prince - case 7928. The watch was bought new by the present owner in 1960 in Taupo for 160 pounds, he had just finished his electrical apprenticeship and was 19 years old. He had just moved down from Kaikohe to work on the Wairaki geothermal project and was probably on reasonable money but it would have cost a couple of months pay I would guess.
            The watch has been used continuously for 56 years including at work and regular scuba diving trips, it has five repair marks though nothing done according to the owner for at least 15 years. There is no indication of water damage and apart from the missing rotating bezel it is still presentable, usable and waterproof as is.
            I will be doing a complete restoration including overhaul, all gaskets, glass, mainspring, tidy up the case, rivets to the bracelet, new rotating bezel, bezel insert and retainer, re-lume hands. Fortunately no movement parts required other than (generic) mainspring as they are no longer available - I have had to use generic (copy) parts for the case as Rolex will not supply. The lower barrel arbour bearing was badly worn and had been punched closed previously so have made up a bronze bush which you can see in the photograph. A tricky job re-centering the hole in the plate but all went well.

Other than that the watch is in very good repairable condition; now that's what I call value and the owner couldn't be more pleased with his lovely watch. Apparently these are quite rare - especially the very early ones - this is the first issue with the pointed crown protector and sell for around $20K in good condition. He still had to have time to think about the $700 repair bill though!
            It disgusts me what the Swiss are now doing to their loyal customers.

Attached files

Comment

I completely emphasize with you Aiden, I had one of the Nairns outlets nearly rob me blind with a Suunto core I took in. Needed a new module, which I knew was going to be the case but had to go through the "your an idiot, we know more about watches" palava before they came to the same conclusion. Obviously not in the same league as your Omega, but when the AD fails to deliver every aspect of the brands stated service level on their website you really do have to wonder!

On the other hand though, my Omega Seamaster was very well serviced and looked after by Dave (above) [THUMBS UP SIGN] for a good deal less time and money than what you were quoted. I can also vouch for Auckland Watch Co. and Rex who used to work with Pakuranga Time who I have also used in the past. I have heard a lot of good reports about watches on Broadway too.

At the end of the day though, I regularly board/dive and I nearly always have my solar / beaters on that don't need the regular servicing or can get a battery change and pressure test for $40 at Mr Minute!

Comment

I completely emphasize with you Aiden, I had one of the Nairns outlets nearly rob me blind with a Suunto core I took in. Needed a new module, which I knew was going to be the case but had to go through the "your an idiot, we know more about watches" palava before they came to the same conclusion. Obviously not in the same league as your Omega, but when the AD fails to deliver every aspect of the brands stated service level on their website you really do have to wonder!

On the other hand though, my Omega Seamaster was very well serviced and looked after by Dave (above) [THUMBS UP SIGN] for a good deal less time and money than what you were quoted. I can also vouch for Auckland Watch Co. and Rex who used to work with Pakuranga Time who I have also used in the past. I have heard a lot of good reports about watches on Broadway too.

At the end of the day though, I regularly board/dive and I nearly always have my solar / beaters on that don't need the regular servicing or can get a battery change and pressure test for $40 at Mr Minute!

Thanks for your reply Brucy.
                When I originally bought my Omega, I was quite new to all this and never even considered factoring in servicing costs.

The whole thing has made me think a lot about what I want from a watch. I know for sure that I enjoy having a mechanical watch and I like the idea of one watch for everyday use. While the PO does that, of late I've found myself getting a little frustrated with the size of the 42mm PO. Let's just say it fit well at the time of purchase and now a healthy 10Kg lighter it looks a bit big on my skinny wrists

I've found I prefer 38mm size watches and so knowing about the need to factor in servicing I'm currently on the search for a 38mm watch that can be my do it all watch. I'll still keep the PO but prob not wear it as often.
                I've had my eye on this piece http://www.seiyajapan.com/collections/s ... /s-sarb017

The only thing I'm not clear on is the servicing cost of Seikos in NZ?

Comment

I suspect you will be well pleased with that Seiko Alpinist; that dial looks to be right up there with Seiko's renowned finish, quality and longevity.
                  Any competent, qualified watchmaker can service these correctly and obtain parts so no need to be held to ransom by monopolistic "service centres'.
                  I recently bought the SARW011 for my 60th birthday and am very pleased with it. It's basically the same movement as the Alpinist with analogue date and power reserve indicator added and porcelain/enamel dial.
                  The Alpinist is more of a sports watch but similar specs.
                  The case of mine looks to be machine finished so not up there with your Grand Seiko in that regard but well done otherwise.

Comment

Good choice, pretty sure Blackrazor bought one of these recently but could be wrong, a quick search will confirm!

Yes... If only, there was one watch I can't see it [FACE SCREAMING IN FEAR]

Comment

Good choice, pretty sure Blackrazor bought one of these recently but could be wrong, a quick search will confirm!

Yes... If only, there was one watch I can't see it [FACE SCREAMING IN FEAR]

Yeah back in 2012 by the looks of it.
                      And wrote a very respectable endorsement of that SeiyaJapan seller too.

I think the Alpinist has moved to the top of my acquisition list.

Comment

OMG time flies when your thinking watches! I thought it was recently but 4 years ago!!!!

Comment

Have you checked how much it would cost if you get it done by the authorised dealers ? $800+ seems high for non-ad servicing and if the ad doesn't cost that much more it would be worth sending it over. I am sure they cab pressure test properly and might give you some warranty too.

Comment

Have you checked how much it would cost if you get it done by the authorised dealers ? $800+ seems high for non-ad servicing and if the ad doesn't cost that much more it would be worth sending it over. I am sure they cab pressure test properly and might give you some warranty too.

That was the cost at Nairns who are the national service agents for Omega.

I haven't looked into it any further to be honest. As I've said before the whole thing has made me think long and hard about what I want from a watch as I like to wear one watch doing most things.
                            I'll keep the Omega for another while it I certainly won't be buying any more Swiss watches anytime soon.

For some reason at the moment I'm very taken with the idea of a Vostok Amphibia. Sure they're cheap in comparison but I think the case design is very clever. I think I'll give one of them a go in the near future and see how things pan out. Sure it's at the other end of the spectrum from my Omega but a few years on from purchasing the Planet Ocean, I'm not as susceptible to brand prestige.

Comment

Working...
                            X