No announcement yet.

Omega Refurb - vintage Double C Constellation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would still be useful to see pictures before and after of the watch..

I tend towards Don's view on this but also know there are others on the other side of the spectrum..

Case in point is an IWC that I had, now in the care of deerworrier.. When looking for info on the watch those on the IWC forum said I should send off to IWC Switzerland.. I had it serviced in New Zealand by Blair at Watches on Broadway.. If I had gone to AD that would not have been offered to me as an option..
    Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

Comment

Thanks for taking a chunk of your day to respond. Just to clear up a couple of things; I am not 'lurking' on the site, I joined because I enjoy reading what others have to say who love their watches and to browse the classified's. I'm sure you didn't intend to use the term sarcastically.

You're very welcome, bagster8660. Please see: https://www.techopedia.com/definition/8156/lurking. There are many good watch forums out there, and as there are only so many chunks of my day, I have lurked on many of them for years. Good to know, right?

...I was new to watches as we all were at some stage. In my case that was about 1985; later than many but earlier than many others.

Sorry, bagster8660. From what you have posted so far, it doesn't show. I'm not being disrespectful to you--just calling it out for what it is.

I appreciate people who speak directly Don, though you do tend to lapse into condescension and sarcasm on occasion which could be off putting to people new to the forum who would benefit from your undoubted expertise and wisdom ( and I do mean that sincerely!).

Thank you for the feedback, and will take your assessment of me on board when posting in the future. Believe it or not, I am not paid to make comments on this forum--it's not a pay per view--and my aim is definitely not to be liked by all. You certainly don't need to read my forum posts, and you can skip them. Furthermore, I don't sign in to the forum to find people to offend, nor look to make new enemies (I have enough), but I do call things out for what they are.

I am not one who believes that truth should be always be spared to prevent someone from being disappointed or upset. Personally, I don't like disappointment, embarrassment, or being upset, but know that these are sometimes necessary in order to learn life's lessons--especially when one is new to something. Why is it that, as men, our wives or partners often criticize our lack of judgement or lack of thought in decisions we make, but suddenly, on a watch forum, everyone is always right and no one ever make stupid decisions? Seriously? ...I encourage my friends to call me out when I make a fool of myself, as it's important in my learning.

To conclude, I think I've made my point in my previous reply on this topic, and will not comment on it any further. Thank you again, bagster8660, for your views. I look forward to reading more of your experience and expertise in the future.
      A watch journey that also serves the betterment of others is one worth taking.

Comment

Thanks for taking a chunk of your day to respond. Just to clear up a couple of things; I am not 'lurking' on the site, I joined because I enjoy reading what others have to say who love their watches and to browse the classified's. I'm sure you didn't intend to use the term sarcastically.

You're very welcome, bagster8660. Please see: https://www.techopedia.com/definition/8156/lurking. There are many good watch forums out there, and as there are only so many chunks of my day, I have lurked on many of them for years. Good to know, right?

...I was new to watches as we all were at some stage. In my case that was about 1985; later than many but earlier than many others.

Sorry, bagster8660. From what you have posted so far, it doesn't show. I'm not being disrespectful to you--just calling it out for what it is.

I appreciate people who speak directly Don, though you do tend to lapse into condescension and sarcasm on occasion which could be off putting to people new to the forum who would benefit from your undoubted expertise and wisdom ( and I do mean that sincerely!).

Thank you for the feedback, and will take your assessment of me on board when posting in the future. Believe it or not, I am not paid to make comments on this forum--it's not a pay per view--and my aim is definitely not to be liked by all. You certainly don't need to read my forum posts, and you can skip them. Furthermore, I don't sign in to the forum to find people to offend, nor look to make new enemies (I have enough), but I do call things out for what they are.

I am not one who believes that truth should be always be spared to prevent someone from being disappointed or upset. Personally, I don't like disappointment, embarrassment, or being upset, but know that these are sometimes necessary in order to learn life's lessons--especially when one is new to something. Why is it that, as men, our wives or partners often criticize our lack of judgement or lack of thought in decisions we make, but suddenly, on a watch forum, everyone is always right and no one ever make stupid decisions? Seriously? ...I encourage my friends to call me out when I make a fool of myself, as it's important in my learning.

To conclude, I think I've made my point in my previous reply on this topic, and will not comment on it any further. Thank you again, bagster8660, for your views. I look forward to reading more of your experience and expertise in the future.
        Thanks Don and I am not intending to make an enemy of you. I actually do read your posts and in general find them very informative, I intend to keep reading them. Enough said as you say, I never intended to challenge your undoubted expertise, just your value imposition

Sent from my SGP512 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks 1st of all to the OP for the thread, good stuff this is an excellent area of discussion, happy we're not tippy toe'ing around it. Have we got some before shots, its actually tough to comment, unless we know 'what did it look like prior?'

FWIW: Heres Archer from WUS servicing a flooded sea rusted Speedy Pro... easily resurrected too..

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/res...er-767251.html

Don, we should publish you... some of the stuff you say I mildly understand, most of the stuff you say I appreciate great but none of the stuff you say... could I say better

Wow, what a list of work... that is, really, pretty amazing... replacing hour markers made from onyx, why would you do that, isn't onyx water-resistant

'Polish out dings', is that possible... sure, dings can be removed many ways, 3 ways spring to mind:

1. removing material around the ding till the ding is gone (along with part of the rest of the original case, dimensions / form)
          2. filling, then re-profiling
          3. replacement

Could go on, and on, JM2CW but we're too often suckers, suckers for 'service' and suckers for 'grooming', more often than not counsel should advise of a less aggressive form of action, quite often just a tiny adjustment will get movement performing inside spec for a long while yet (but some AD's might want to send the watch to Switzerland for a month for a 2 thousand dollar service) - often just just cleaning up a dial, or getting another used dial/handset will work for repairing the aesthetics.... in this case, wonder.... would simply servicing the watch, maybe a new / old set of hands & display, display cover etc, may've done the job, dunno ?

While ago I posted, about a very expensive service, to a guys gold watch, required needlessly, simply as the stem broke, the thing had just been fully overhauled, but the high end AD here in NZL couldn't supply a crown stem, with out 1st supplying the watch to the manufacturer in Switzerland, that stem, cost about NZD5000, whole AP watch had to go to the manufacture for its 2nd service in a short time, but unlike the one my mate did for $500 it cost NZD6900 of thereabouts... incredibly, thats not unusual, but its spastic, its insulting, they believe, and treat us, as if we're retarded. A NZD6900 crown stem?

OP: lucky you're here lol, if you'd posted that, on the Omega Forums, I expect they'd have had a field day then banned you or possibly a bit of hanging, drawing & quartering might have been involved haha but seriously, thats JM2CW no one listens to me anyway (not when Don's around lol) but really great thread, gets you thinking doesn't it & my post/words are my own & don't reflect anything more
          Harlan
          Timekeeper Watch Club
          Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

I agree H, great thread
            Just to add my thanks to the contributors to this thread. I really enjoyed reading it :thumbup: It is inevitable that opinions differ in this world of ours and if we can discuss them rationally and thoughtfully we all learn more.

I note that the OP has not been back to express his views on the matter further, but I would say he is happy and he feels his money was well spent. Rightly so imho as it is his watch. The fact that he could have been given better advice at the outset is irrelevant now.

The OP now has a very good watch, restored by the manufacturer, has hopefully kept the service paperwork and has retained most of the original parts. The watch will no doubt serve him well for many years to come, which is always the better option, rather than the watch just being a paperweight.

These originality discussions always bring to my mind at least, the sentimental story of “Triggers Broom” Trigger god bless him, waxing lyrical about his beloved broom which has served him well for 20 years and it’s only had 14 handles and 17 heads. Anyway, great discussion. Thanks again guys
            Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance

Comment

Working...
            X