Planet Ocean Accuracy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planet Ocean Accuracy

I purchased a planet ocean a few years ago, a mate nagged at me wanting to purchase it so I finally sold it, but I was mindful of it's inaccuracy loosing about 2 min's over a month.
    I purchased another later model off Harlan, absolutely mint example, but yet again a lousy time keeper, running about 2 mins out each month.
    I really started to get pissed off, a watch of this value should be more accurate, so I sent it to Ilam watches, they had it a couple of weeks and couldn't fault it.
    Now I am not real pedantic, but the inaccuracy cheesed me off.
    Anyway my mate hit me up about a year later, stating that I had "tucked him" stating the watch was a terrible time keeper........I already knew this.....he wasn't angry, just surprised .
    Recently another mate who bought a planet ocean a year ago mentioned that his watch keeps terrible time.....unbelievable.
    Penny for your thoughts ??
    Last edited by ghj; 13-05-18, 20:22.

ghj, sorry but we don't like your forum handle, sounds too much like the housemates hair straighteners (GHD's)...

Think this has been discussed before, the 'Christchurch Planet Ocean Effect'... something to do with a localized magnetic anomaly... no seriously though, are they that annoying that you are still getting pissed off?

Consider this: those Omega PO watches have little red COSC cards right, this means they are
    'Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres Certified Chronomètre' which means they've used top'ish grade base ebauche (movements) and expert watch assemblers there in Bienne have carefully put all the little nuts & springs & washers & thrust bearings & levers & bolts etc together, carefully poised the balances (the heart beat i.e. the timer) etc & then sent them, in big batches of a maybe a thousand or something (just movements only, they are uncased) off to the Suisse Chronomètre Institute for individual testing in various positions & temperatures, where they are duly played with (we mean 'precision tested').

Now, to 'make the famous Chronomètre grade' a daily rate no faster that +6s or no slower than -4s is allowed.

Having failed 3rd form mathematics we now fall back upon GOOGLE to determine the allowed monthly fluctuations:

1. Over a 30 day month a Suisse Chronomètre is allowed..... to go up 3 minutes and still be a 'Chronomètre' offering the required performance as per:

Click image for larger version  Name:	3mins.png Views:	1 Size:	3.5 KB ID:	41941

2. Over a 30 day month a Suisse Chronomètre is allowed..... to go down 2 minutes and still be a 'Chronomètre' offering the required performance as per:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2mins.png Views:	1 Size:	3.4 KB ID:	41942

That is a mean average Monthly allowed fluctuation of 5 Earthly minutes your Omega PO can return and still be returning Chronomètre timekeeping / performance.

Note: IMO all this 'Chronomètre' nonsense was arguably really only made famous by
    ROLEX, it all stems it might appear from the time a ship needed accurate timekeeping or they would go too far East or too far West and run out of provisions, die of scurvy etc... you don't need to know the time to work the Celestial Triangle (Equation) & determine your North-Southing (relatively simple) but you DO ABSOLUTELY 100% need to know the time to use the Celestial Triangle (Equation) to determine your East-Westing... hence the 'Ships Chronomètre' was born (think Harrison)... now we're not expert (you wanna ask legs or someone if you want expert opinion) but the so called 'accurate high performance special 'Chronomètre grade' of timekeeping aka +6/-4 actually arguably isn't that special or difficult to achieve in the 21st Century.. most low grade mechanical movements can be relatively easily adjusted to achieve this... the relatively fancy movement in a Planet Ocean is certainly however. easily capable of +6/-4 and if you are lucky you will get a PO giving +0/-0... the question is, is 2 minutes a month that important... and how the feck are you measuring this, have you ever worn a watch non-stop for 30 days, we doubt it.

JM2CW as we're certainly not expert, and would never claim such, this is just a humble un-professional opinion & off the cuff at that, YMMV of course, we're all different... so are out watches, measuring systems, environments, expectations and imaginations. Plus in the Mainland you have the 'Christchurch Planet Ocean Effect' to consider as well.

PS: Whats in a second, you might ask? Life & Death?... perhaps... if you are on a sail boat, and you have your nice little shiny brass sextant (the $50 plastic ones are just as good as $10,000 Japanese ones in use) tables & so on and you're standing there on the wobbly slippery heaving obstacle strewn deck, trying not to fall overboard (and likely drown) and you're shooting stars and heavenly bodies in the hope you can go inside to the chart table & ultimately complete the Celestial Triangle (which is really just an annoying pile of trigonometry & if you are smart you'll end up getting a $150 special navigation calculator / mini computer sort of thing that'll do the majority of the whole painful reduction equation for you in few key strokes lol).. anyway you need to complete this equation to lay down some LOP's on the chart (Lines of Postion) and when you are doing this (takes about 30 minutes each morning & night) EACH single second your watch or clock, whatever you are using as the 'Ships Clock' is out, your fixes err by 60 miles... makes it very very easy to miss 'small' islands hence, even if your watch aka 'Ships Clock' is just 5 seconds out (thats 300 miles)!! Hence, time was 'rather important' lol possibly never more so than to the Ships Navigator!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	sextant.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.1 KB ID:	41943
    Last edited by harlansmart; 16-05-18, 12:07. Reason: my spewling is sheit and sure as sheit I have tonnes more spewling and grammar errors I have miswed
    Harlan
    Timekeeper Watch Club
    Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

• ghj
      ghj commented
      Editing a comment
      Enough said :-)
Working...
X