Seiko Ananta SBP01J1 Review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seiko Ananta SBP01J1 Review

I've been sitting on this review for a little while as I wanted "wear time" to consider what is an unusual watch from a range not usually seen in NZ. This model is at the lower end of the Ananta range which includes chronographs and Spring drive movements. Price wise this watch is selling on Amazon for around $2700US new.

Firstly the basics:

Model: Ananta SBP01J1
    Diameter: 46 mm
    Thickness: 13.2 mm
    Strap: Black padded crocodile with stainless steel signed deployment.
    Movement: Automatic 6R21A 28,800 (The A refers to the direction of the power reserve indicator sweep)
    Crystal: Sapphire with anti reflective coating.
    Display case back.
    Functions: Hour, minute, sweep seconds, sweep date and day subdials, retrograde power reserve indicator.
    Power reserve: 45 hours
    WR: 100 Metres (10 ATM)
    Crown: Large, non screwed.

Background on the Ananta range and what makes the watch a bit different.
    With Ananta (translates as "the infinite") the Seiko designers set out to create watches with a strong Japanese theme and what could be more Japanese than the Samurai sword and the Katana blade which was used as the basis for designing the case, dial features, hands and rotor. The Katana system is based on an 800 year history of blade making. The dial hands are very sharply polished to reflect light in a similar way to the Grand Seiko range. The case polishing finish on the watches is also the blade polishing technique famous in the Grand Seiko range. Price wise the range sits just below the Grand Seiko range.

The 6R movement range:
    (Info from the net)

The 6R15 family was introduced in 2006 as a higher-spec derivative of the Seiko 7S26. It was intended to replace the expensive "high beat" King Seiko-derived 4S15 in mainstream watches, allowing that family to be used exclusively in more expensive models.
    The 6R is an automatic movement which adds hacking and hand winding to the existing 7S26 base. The winding system now includes two separate pinions on the bottom plate to add hand winding. It also features a hacking mechanism and pinned balance spring for adjustability. Thanks to a Spron 510 mainspring, the 6R15 boasts 50 hour power reserve, and the faster-beating 6R2x series has a 45 hour power reserve.

The 6R20 differs from the base 6R15 in many ways. It beats at 28,800 bph and features a power reserve indicator and both day and date in a window. The derived 6R21, 6R24 and 6R27 also beat at 28,800 and have power reserve indicators but add day and date on subdials (sweep for the 6R21 and retrograde for the 6R24)

Impressions:
    This is a large, heavy watch. It wears big but due to the nicely curved case sits well on my 19cm wrist. The watch is beautifully finished with a mixture of highly polished and brushed surfaces and a stunning gloss ceramic bezel. The watch construction is unusual with the movement body sitting in and attached to the case back and lug body. The quality of the finish reflects the influence of the GS craftsmen who apparently hand finish these watches. The movement is well finished with a Katana themed rotor visible through the case back. The partially textured black dial finish is excellent quality with the highly polished hands and hour markers reflecting light nicely. The hands are very well proportioned. Lume is good on the hands and chapter ring hour markers.
    The power reserve indicator is an acquired taste but is in fact quite a useful addition. It follows the Katana theme in shape. Now to the day and date sub dials. These along with the power indicator are a mixture of brushed and polished steel. The date is a little hard to read in low light. The dial overall is busy but this is a large watch so it handles the work well.
    The large crown is very easy to wind and the movement feels very smooth. Day and date are quick set.
    The strap is excellent quality black padded crocodile on an excellent deployment clasp. The watch packaging is highest quality.

Overall this is a pleasing addition to the collection and I find it a regular part of the rotation.

Attached files

“I want to touch base on how we’ll synergize the pivot going forward”

i love seiko but that giant reserve indicator just makes it a no for me , always comes down to whatever floats your boat so enjoy it, a nice watch 8-)
    'why tip toe thru life ,only to arrive safely at death'

Comment

I love this watch Steve. Really really nice. A cracking review too. Maybe I will throw some money at the tab at the Wellington cup and see what comes back. You have an enviable collection sir.
      Actively seeking Tuna of all shapes and sizes...to hunt your pride of lions...

Comment

I love this watch Steve. Really really nice. A cracking review too. Maybe I will throw some money at the tab at the Wellington cup and see what comes back. You have an enviable collection sir.
        Thanks Andrew and good luck with the gee gees mate. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Comment

Thanks for the review Steve. I missed out on an Ananta chrono a few months back and I am still kicking myself a little. My only concern was how the case shape sat on the wrist. Clearly works for you. Very nice.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
          'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!

Comment

Beautiful watch and great review, thanks Steve. I particually like the details on the finish that herald back to the Katana and that case back (4th photo down) WOW, the simplicity and elegance in that design, superb. Thanks again :thumbup:
            "It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It can not be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell" - Buddha

Comment

Nice watch Steve and a great review :thumbup: One thing I am puzzled about is the Katana references. I can't see anything that looks vaguely like a Katana
              Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance

Comment

Nice watch Steve and a great review :thumbup: One thing I am puzzled about is the Katana references. I can't see anything that looks vaguely like a Katana
                From the original Seiko reference material for the range.

An actual samurai sword doesn't appear on the watches but apparently the curves of the lugs and the power reserve are inspired by the curved blade. But who knows what goes on the mind of watch designers who no doubt see themselves as artists. 8-)

Attached files

Comment

I see.....Artists licence then. Whilst I see many blade like references in it's design (A scimitar power reserve for instance and the case side on, looks like a battle axe) I still struggle to see a Katana.....Then again I'm not an artist
                  Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance

Comment

Fantastic and detailed review with great photos. :thumbup:
                    I love reviews as they really get across the details and the perspective from an owners point of view. Personally I think the watch is beautiful and you can see the quality. Size is too big for my personal preference, though, I have found that with Seiko especially, often larger watches can wear smaller than their dimensions would otherwise suggest.

Comment

Working...
                    X