Boschett Cave Dweller 1 Boutique Diver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boschett Cave Dweller 1 Boutique Diver

Corr! Pete. Did that come with a free club and a hunk of mammoth?
    Thanks Capt Scarlet
    That about sums up this watch precisely ,
    Big brutal and no frills ,
    Just gotta find the Mad Butcher voucher now for the Mammoth Bones

Ok !
    So I now have the diver in hand.
    Basic Specs:
    Miyota 8215 Auto
    Solid end link bracelet with screws
    316L surgical grade SS
    Superluminova hands and applied markers
    1000m
    Case - 44 mm w/o crown, 49 mm with crown
    Height - 16.5 mm,
    Bracelet - 22mm Lugs
    AR Coated Sapphire Crystal
    Includes five-link bracelet and rubber strap.

Lets get into it :
    A big watch but very comfortable on the wrist.
    A nice weighty feel to it with the bracelet yet surprising light with the rubber straps for a 1000 m case

first real noticeable problem that has risen is the shadow that is cast over the date.
    It seems to be there all the time no matter where I am,
    Not sure if this is caused by the smallish hole in the dial or the gap between the dial and the date wheel .
    suspect its the hole size.
    Side view looks like a hunk of steel with a gear cog attached to it ( This is the Captains Club)
    The crown weighs in at 5 mm deep by 9 mm wide
    But despite the size and location at 3 , it does not dig into the wrist, mainly because its in the middle of a huge case
    Cog,I mean , crown turns 6 full turns to locked position

A shot from the end view

A side shot on the wrist makes it look huge on my 7 1/2 inch wrist but looking down on it it looks like any other 44 mm

Notice how the case is like a cylinder . No tapering anywhere , even the bezel is flush with the case

Next issue which I have just discovered is the bezel.
    Emailed Keith Brochetti and he says the bezel is not designed to be removed like normal bezels , Its a permanent fixture to this tank .
    This design has been altered on the Cave Dweller 2 which has interchangeable bezels .
    So if you like modding go for the second version and you can swap out 3 different bezel types.
    cont next post...........

Attached files

Rest easy Matty , My best Mate and Son

Screw in case-back is impressive with 6 holes and a deeply engraved flaming dragon
    none of this laser etching crap .

Lume is stated to be Superluminova and is a nice Aqua blue .
    Good but nothing on the Monsters Lume

Comes with 2 great straps ,
    A super comfortable rubber , which is not normal for me as i prefer Zulus over rubber.
    And a fantastic 5 link SS bracelet .

Each individual link has 6 sides giving it an impressive 3d appearance
    pic below tries to capture this but doesn't do it justice
    Much nicer than my watchadoo bracelet

Lugs come with double drilled holes,
    Can't remember the reason for this ,
    Seen it done on other watch cases, But why help me out :? :?
    Both straps supplied only use the outer holes

In summary :
    I like it .
    Big , Brutal , Different , powered by a Citizen workhorse movement ,
    Not bad for somebodies Baby.
    The Bezel doesn't bother me , actually saves me temptation of modding and keeps the watch original and the way the designer intended his baby to be .

The only downfall in my eyes is the small date hole with that annoying shade and maybe the grooves on the bezel could be a little deeper and wider for grip purposes .
    But hey I gave up underwater recreation sometime ago .

All in all , A Beast
    But a long way short of madhouse's Charmex
    I would have to add another 12 mm to even match his case, :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Attached files

Comment

Its a good watch for the money isn't it.. like how the bracelet comes of a 3D with the link edge bevelling (or whatever you call it) - meaty eh...maybe the bezel is designed t be used w/ the palm of the (gloved) hand (you're just not 'professional' enough dude

The inner holes might better retain a thinner strap (i.e. Zulu) stopping the watch moving on the strap/wrist and different endpieces/bracelets will be able to be fitted. Rolex annoyingly moved the effective position of the bracelet lug holes a while back preventing interchangeability of bracelets - um, Pete how is the bezel attached to tha case on this one mate can't be fixed, surely although with ZINEX I recently found the only way to get the bezels off was to take out the movement and glass, not a great design IMO.

BOSCHETT ticks quite a few of the boxes for me on this one I also like the case shape, to tapering (UTS like (YUM YUM) and as long as the watch is still comfy this look appeals.
      Harlan
      Timekeeper Watch Club
      Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

So Pete, I see you finally went with the GARGANTUAN dimensions of the Boschett. I have a strange feeling that you will soon be changing your username to madhouse2 as you challenge the title holder. Although I think you may have to go some to beat him 8-) When you were on the hunt for a new diver I had a look at the Boschett divers and the Cave dweller was, imho the best of the bunch 8-) . ( I hope you noticed that I just used one of those annoying abbreviations there Just found out what it means ) Case, dial, bezel, hands etc all look great. I really like the caseback with the dragon motif
        The only things I wasn't keen on were the lack of crown guards and the name "Cave Dweller" Where did the name come from? In my limited experience, most watches with a model name are given the name because it is a description of its use or function. So I was a little confused about what the Boschett was trying to say. ( I am capable of venturing into a cave for 1000m......In the DARK!!, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it ) On the whole though, I think you have got yourself a hell of a watch for the money. You will no doubt save a bundle on Gym memberships etc too although a word of warning. Make sure you alternate wrists for a balanced workout.
        I would be interested to know if you think it will be a "keeper".
        Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance

Comment

I um, Pete how is the bezel attached to that case on this one mate can't be fixed, surely although with ZINEX I recently found the only way to get the bezels off was to take out the movement and glass, not a great design IMO.

The $64000 dollar Question , and I'm not that keen to go digging to find out .
          Then again it could be Keith's way of saying "" I don't stock bezels for version 1, If you want interchangeable Bezels upgrade to version 2 and I can help you ""

I have a strange feeling that you will soon be changing your username to madhouse2 as you challenge the title holder.

Not enough funds here to even attempt to challenge him .
          Madhouse2 !!!! my mrs thinks I'm just plain Mad

The only things I wasn't keen on were the lack of crown guards and the name "Cave Dweller" Where did the name come from?
          Crown guards on this beast are not a problem , the crown itself is it own guard , So damn big and chunky
          Cave Dweller Maybe it was made for the owner rather than what it can do .
          Reminds me of the old Beatles song " I am an Apeman I am a Walrus "
          I can be very primitive after a few Malts

I would be interested to know if you think it will be a "keeper".

Oh I can hear Anzac pissing himself with laughter at that comment
          He is starting to refer to me as "flipper"
          but yes this is definitely a lot higher on my list of keepers than others in my collection .
          Out of 15 watches this ranks about number 9 .
          Maybe I should change my username to "2many"

Comment

er, NO, Cave Dweeler is meaty but no comparison... I mean have you actually seen a Charmes 20,000ft

So Pete, you will soon be changing your username to madhouse2 as you challenge the title holder.

Here's Dave's next to the big offering from Rolex, the Rolex looks like a toy.

Photo Courtesy madhouse2007
            Harlan
            Timekeeper Watch Club
            Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Dave ...by a nose
              I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

Working...
              X