No announcement yet.

Watch repair tools...where to purchase?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch repair tools...where to purchase?

Hi guys, its time to take the plunge and take a watch apart then see if I can put it back together and see if it works!!!!!

im after a 'movement holder & hand pullers' do any of you know where I can purchase in NZ.....or is it off to search Ebay....?
    While i'm not as good as i once was.....i'm as good once as i ever was.......!

After trying some cheaper tools, which are soon proven unremarkably to be designed apparently for 'cheaper watches' lol I bought almost everything I have (all Horotec/Bergeon) in one purchase from (I think) the Hong Kong Bergeon Distributor, Nam Kings or something like that... they were pretty good... but the Bergeon Pressure Tester was fook'ed, upon arrival, a manufacturing fault, its still in at Precision Watches, never used almost a decade later (luckily I already had one from a different manufacturer thats quite functional... and also one of the 3-4 sets of Rolex keyway keys I got had 2 'double ups', bloody annoying for the money & again Bergeon's fault most likely, certainly Nam's was 'cheap' but refused to look after me with the problems (it was a NZD10k purchase back in 2009). I would look elsewhere I guess...

So, ask the guy on the local auction site, he has some Bergeon stuff, oh, and also, check Amazon, I just took a look, they've got some highest quality items from Bergeon listed there too for fair prices...

https://www.amazon.com/Watch-Repair-...node=378531011

Last idea I have is check a distributor who has a good online list, Otto Frei's.

http://www.ottofrei.com/Store/?searc...Y5gBoC32rw_wcB

You only want a couple of things to start, they're cheaper items, may as well buy decent parts though, if you go on, you won't have to 're-buy' & the outlay is small regardless.
    Harlan
    Timekeeper Watch Club
    Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Huge thanks Harlan, ive got quite a lot of stuff already, im a toolmaker by trade, but it was movement holder and particularly the 'hand remover' that had me 'going', if you know what I mean!!!!!

Comment

Movement holders, are mostly done for specific moments, and often by the manufacture (i.e. I have rolex 31xx holders stamped 'ROLEX' etc)... often a case holder, like the ones on Amazon for $15 will hold a movement very well, I have cut some little grooves in some case holders to better seat/hold dials/plates.

Amazon sells hands pullers too...I know the guys at celux, they should have all this sort of crap, think they are saving up to get a website built, which will sell Bergeon stuff like this for sure... have tried to sell it before, but, i.e. I bought 25 units of 6767-F's years ago, ended up selling maybe 3, and gave the rest away (cost me about $30 each, so thats another 600 odd etc gone to 'generate goodwill' lol...

Hm you will probably need something to get the hand 'back on' too, usually easy to get them off with a piece of stiff plastic bag as a dial protector and pretty much anything to pluck/lever them off but its nice to have something good to put them back on (I got a bunch of hand held Bergeon ones and a Horotec press). Can you let us know, what you get, if you find somewhere real good please? I need real good tools, as I am useless, and my hands shake lol the only thing going for me, is I have a bit of mechanical sympathy, having built cars, motorbikes, and pushbikes with carbon, plastic bolts etc... watches are like bikes, you don't need muscles, leverage or anything lol, just respect... nothing not 'quite done up enough' ever causes a problem (except on a bike the front skewer, or the front brake cable holder bolt haha
        Harlan
        Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

Hi mate, ive been looking at the 'hand press' to get the hands back on....but haven't ordered anything else as im still in the process of getting advice, you have been a great help, ive got a movement holder on the way from a forum member, I will see what dia 'grooves' are in it, I can machine the dial in a 4-jaw chuck to make it fit if need be....

watch this space

Comment

:?

machine the dial in a 4-jaw chuck to make it fit if need be....
            Harlan
            Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

Bwaharrrr, sorry Harlan, wrong use of words....I can machine the 'diameter' of the movement into the movement holder in the 4-jaw chuck if need be.......no wonder you gave me a 'confused' emoji......

Comment

So 'most' of my gear is at hand, I have a set of screwdrivers on the way....up to now ive only changed hands on a couple of watches....easy does it.....

Comment

Yep, you will need some flatheads lol I knew something was missing, and toothpix, lots of them (dog/pegwood is better) .. some rodico... a pretty mean looking hammer (mostly use a smaller item with one side nylon)... not that you won't find (plenty of) usage for it, looking very very good Scouser, impressive.

Shall we send our repairs to you from now on... I know of a PP Nautilus needing an overhaul...

Comment

I am sure he has the hammer for smashing the fake watches..
                    Tony Lewis
                    New Zealand

Comment

Hi guys, its time to take the plunge and take a watch apart then see if I can put it back together and see if it works!!!!!

You mean: "If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!" ?

Comment

A "PP Nautilus"....!!!!! im scared to death opening cheap Russian Vostoks......did a dial replacement last night and rookie mistake forgot to put the hour hand pointing at an hour indice!...yes you've guessed it.....was fun trying to set the time......bwaharrrrrrr

the 'reverse tweezers' are worth their weight in gold.....love those!!!!!

The hammer, ive used it for taking off links in S/S bracelets, with get/make a nylon one......didn't know I shook so much!!!!!!

Comment

They look reminiscent of torture devices they show in films...

Live long and prosper.

Comment

Heres the dial swap.....watch cost 22$ NZ.......you can see the incorrect hand placement....grrrrrr

Comment

Yip, can do... but hey, THAT is the business, mean look

$22 = WIN

Comment

Working...
                              X