Bulova 96B251 Chronograph - Moonwatch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulova 96B251 Chronograph - Moonwatch

Moved here so doesn't get lost.. more detailed review and photos to follow..

Time for some commentary on the Bulova Moon Watch..

Movement: High Performance Quartz
    Case Diameter: 45 mm
    Case Thickness: 13.5 mm
    Water Resistance: 50M

Bulova has been a leader in watch technology for a number of years. Based in the US it provided watches to the military and later timing instruments for NASA. Most known for the outstanding Accutron tuning fork watches it was eventually bought by Citizen Japan. In recent years the company has produced high performance quartz watches including the Precisionist line.

By 1971, Omega was the brand of choice for watches bought by NASA for their astronauts. Meanwhile, Bulova timing instruments were used within the space programme. The story goes that David Scott who was to command Apollo 15 was given a Bulova chronograph to take with him. This was an unofficial arrangement. He wore the Bulova while on the Moon. The watch sold recently at auction for $US 1.6 mil.

This commerative watch is an official 'replica' of that watch. It uses the newer high performance quartz movement with a three prong fork oscillating at 262kHz. Standard quartz oscillate at 32 kHz.

The case is beadblasted, the chrono pushers are polished and the bezel is brushed. The crystal is of AR sapphire. The dial is layered with the subdial's and chapter ring below the level of the main dial. The tachymeter ring is elevated. This gives a real sense of depth.

The subdial at 3 is for 10ths of a second. It spins rapidly for the first 30secs after starting the chronograph. When the chronograph is stopped the 10th secs hand spins round to the current reading. The subdial at 9 measures up to 60 minutes. The chronograph function stops once 60 mins is reached. The subdial at 6 is for seconds and beats at 2 bps. The sweep of the chronograph main seconds hand is not as smooth as my other Bulova but is fine nonetheless. When you reset the chronograph the main seconds hand fly's back smoothly around to 12. I suspect these features relate to maximizing the battery life.

At RRP of $US550 this is a very well featured watch, especially given that if you look around you can purchase it for less.

As a child of the Space Age, even though turning 60, this watch commemorates that wonderful time in world history when we all thought that great things were possible. Arthur C Clarke had written that once mankind reached space they would look down on the Earth and realise how petty the squabbles between nations really are. I still look forward to a future where that is reality and we can all live in peace or as Spock put it - 'live long and prosper'

Please feel free to provide comment on any areas of inaccuracy as I am no expert on this.

Cheers
    Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

Thanks for taking the time to write this one up Tony. :thumbup: The watch definitely punches above it's weight in my opinion. One of the things that has surprised me is the legibility of the dial. Many chronographs are a little cluttered and a tad difficult to read at a glance. Not so the Bulova.
    Old Dave Scott is quite the character too, from what I've read about him
    Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance

Comment

David Scott's watch..

Cheers
      Tony Lewis
      New Zealand

Comment

For all you folk that prefer a strap, please note that the bracelet version of this watch has lug holes in a different position than the strap version..
        Tony Lewis
        New Zealand

Comment

Interesting seeing David Scott's original, a member of another forum painstakingly recreated the vintage lume on his new moon watch (pic from wus)

Comment

Some more pics using new camera..

Cheers
            Tony Lewis
            New Zealand

Comment

Nice Tony

I was trying to capture some pics the other day. The dial is stunning on this watch and it is the thing I love most about it

John I notice you have a different strap on your... care to share your thought behind it?

The 2 straps the watch comes with aren't pushing my buttons for some reason. By itself I like the Hirsch carbon fibre style strap and I feel the Zulu strap is really closer to the style watch should be on but neither of the two are completing the package anyone else not sold on the straps or is it just me

Comment

Interesting seeing David Scott's original, a member of another forum painstakingly recreated the vintage lume on his new moon watch (pic from wus)

People do some funny things don't they. I see he hasn't gone as far as to painstakingly recreate all the scratches on Dave Scott's original. ;-P

Comment

Lol I might be able to help him out with that!

Comment

On a gasgasbones zero zero strap.. thanks to John.. www.gasgasbones.com for those interested.. While I was looking at the zero zero page I noticed in their gallery that you can get the leather patch like the one that comes with the strap in the box..

Cheers
                    Tony Lewis
                    New Zealand

Comment

Thanks Tony, I like the canvas style with the same colour, looks good

Comment

Working...
                      X