How do you date a Unicorn watch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you date a Unicorn watch?

Any one found how you can date a unicorn watch, no`s don't go down as low on the rolex serial Chart, I belive its all original, crystal crown and strap.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8198.JPG Views:	1 Size:	167.6 KB ID:	41474 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8206.JPG Views:	1 Size:	89.8 KB ID:	41475
    Last edited by cyma; 28-04-18, 12:13.
    'Man Invented time, Cyma Perfected it.'

I don't think there is a serial number database for these Pete. I believe Rolex marketed these cheaper watches under the Unicorn name between 1919 and 1933 or thereabouts.
    I would have thought your case would have been stamped RWC or some such. Here are a few of their models.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8922.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	41477
    These are silver and 9ct gold models, so I guess yours would have been a bit cheaper. Should be worth a bit more now though
    Nice find
    Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance

Comment

Hi Pete,

I used the hallmarks to date the little watch I have... it’s in the incoming thread with some pictures that may or may not help. Mine has been refurbished at some stage and I was unsure whether the hands were original but they appear to be consistent with other models around the early twenties. Prior to this they were cathedral hands.

Keep us posted on your endeavours

Comment

Thanks guys, yes well if I go by the serial no and use the rolex chart this watch would date to appox 1937, sure its earlier that that, and its untouched, 32ml dial excluding crown.Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8204.JPG Views:	1 Size:	90.1 KB ID:	41480
        Last edited by cyma; 28-04-18, 14:55.
        'Man Invented time, Cyma Perfected it.'

Comment

Easy, (assuming) you have the Box & Papers, just open the Worldwide Unicorn 3 Years Transferable Warranty Booklet & the date of purchase will have been written in by the Authorised Dealer just underneath where they stamped the Booklet.

(Sorry, nothing constructive to say I'm afraid)
          Harlan
          Timekeeper Watch Club
          Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

• cyma
            cyma commented
            Editing a comment
            Got the papers Harlan but no box,can you help me with that?

cut off its horn and count the rings, obviously!
          “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
          Always aim to be that man.

Comment

• cyma
            cyma commented
            Editing a comment
            93 rings, so dates to 1925, thanks DW.

Thats not very practical, they're a protected species here in New Zealand dw

Originally posted by deerworrier View Post
          cut off its horn and count the rings, obviously!
          Harlan
          Timekeeper Watch Club
          Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

when my 6.5 creedmore arrives nothing will be safe

on a more on topic note, that is a rather lovely dial lay out on the OP pic
            “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
            Always aim to be that man.

Comment

Working...
            X