Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orient King Diver Identification

Hi!
    I recently was given my grandad's Orient King Diver 21 jewel, but need help identifying the exact model name or value
    I know he bought it in late 1969 or early 1970, from a shop in Birmingham, England
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached files

Greetings from New Zealand welcome to our tiny watch club Esteemed Member #997

TKNZ Club is very fortunate, to have as a Moderator one of the Worlds most foremost experts & aficionado on all things Orient, in fact this man is so esteemed, so respected he is known both nationally, globally & throughout the Solar System as the Orient Emperor

With a bit of luck, the Orient Emperor will be along shortly :angel:

Comment

He's probably just chasing his Orients
      Harlan
      Timekeeper Watch Club
      New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Hi!
        I recently was given my grandad's Orient King Diver 21 jewel, but need help identifying the exact model name or value
        I know he bought it in late 1969 or early 1970, from a shop in Birmingham, England
        Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi atyabrashid, and welcome to TKNZ. I am, unfortunately, not the person rolex above was referring to , but am sure Tony will come along soon. Meanwhile though, I am going to be a bit cheeky and copy&paste my own review from a few years ago (we have a review site here called TradeMe... just kidding ). We can assist you with plenty of historical value and relevance, though forums like our prohibits market price-type valuations.

ORIENT "KING DIVER" 21 AAA

The 1960s marked a time when sport scuba diving was gaining rapid popularity. A range of truly submersible sports watches with internal rotating elapse-time bezel were available from Swiss manufactures like IWC (Aquatimer), Jaeger-Le Coultre (Polaris), and Longines. In the East, ORIENT introduced the Weekly Auto Orient King Diver in the early-1960s, followed by the Weekly Auto Orient AAA 30 Jewels King Diver in 1965, both with the classic internal rotating elapse time bezel. In 1969, ORIENT King Diver 21 AAA was unveiled, equipped with the in-house Cal 1942, considered among the best vintage ORIENT movements—very robust and comparable to Seiko Cal 61xx of the same era.

ORIENT King Diver 21 (AAA) was manufactured from 1969 to 1971, at which point ORIENT adopted the then-newly released Seiko Cal 7006, and developed it further to become ORIENT Cal 469. From 1971 onward, King Divers were powered by the Cal 469. While the Swiss divers have switched to the external bezel that has become the standard today, ORIENT retained through all the generations the classic internal dive bezel. During the 1970s, the name King Diver was changed to KD, probably as the line was more a sports watch than a true diver's watch like those produced by Seiko and Citizen.

The historical importance of the late-60s King Diver 21 to later ORIENT divers is reaffirmed by its Japan domestic market Re-Edition, the ORIENT King Master WZ0361EM, which is a faithful reproduction of the original. The ORIENT Cal 469 40th Anniversary Limited Edition further cemented the 1960s ORIENT legend.

SPECIFICATIONS

MOVEMENT: ORIENT Automatic Cal 1942, 21 Jewels, 21’600 A/h, Semi-QuickSet Day, QuickSet Date
        CASE: Stainless steel (diameter: 42 mm w/o crown, lug-to-lug: 46 mm, lug-width 22 mm), Screw-in case back, Rotary-type internal elapse-time bezel
        DIAL: Black with polished steel indices and polished steel luminous hands
        CRYSTAL: Acrylic w/ date magnifier
        WATER RESISTANCE: "40m Perfect Waterproof"
        BRACELET: Stainless steel

You can find out more about the later evolution of King Diver—the KD—along with photos, from our forum thread way back in 2010: https://www.timekeeper.co.nz/viewtop...7&t=760&p=4699
        On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

Lol.... think that means atyabrashid owes the Seiko Sensei aka Donita a beer lol

Orient Emperor is probably still changing his Orients (which he does, seemingly hourly at times)

Comment

Funny how collecting a particular brand and being cheeky enough to give yourself a grandiose title makes one an expert..

I have to admit that my addiction to watches persists, but my addiction to a particular brand does not..

The King Divers have gone through many iterations over the years and Don's summary is spot on..

Oh, and if you change watches frequently you have a problem and when you wear the same watch for weeks on end you also have a problem. :D
            Tony Lewis
            New Zealand

Comment

Funny how collecting a particular brand and being cheeky enough to give yourself a grandiose title makes one an expert..

...Oh, and if you change watches frequently you have a problem and when you wear the same watch for weeks on end you also have a problem. :D
              Harlan
              Timekeeper Watch Club
              New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Hi!
                Thank you all for your contributions, I was very surprised at your depth of expertise.
                It's a beautiful watch, and I hope to keep it for many years, it's still perfectly accurate and in good condition
                -Atyab

Comment

It's a beautiful watch, and I hope to keep it for many years, it's still perfectly accurate and in good condition
                  -Atyab

Your grandfather has clearly taken good care of this Orient, and may have not worn it often at all. These were built quite tough, so with proper care, it should have no problem soldiering on for decades more. Let us know if you have any questions relating to its operation or required care--I don't know how familiar you are with vintage watches. So, just sing out if you need more help, Atyab.
                  On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

I became also very interested in orient divers. Not so much info in internet about specific models. Great job done by a guy at orient place with some classification. Some info also available in russian forum. But I gave never seen a proper guide/catalogue/list of all divers Orient produced. One diver is on the way, I will share some photos and initial impressions. Hope orient experts will chime in

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_8762.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	68610 Orient ChronoAce King Diver 23 Jewels has arrived. Watch looks like never used. I think it looks super, and feels like a solid piece of watchmaking. All buttons work. Pusher at 4 rotates inner bezel (I think it is only orient that used inner bezel system?)

Will wear it for next few days. Let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by rustinbox View Post
                        Orient ChronoAce King Diver 23 Jewels has arrived. Watch looks like never used. I think it looks super, and feels like a solid piece of watchmaking. All buttons work. Pusher at 4 rotates inner bezel (I think it is only orient that used inner bezel system?)

Will wear it for next few days. Let me know if you have any questions.
                        Almost all watch brands that made divers watches will have an internal rotating bezel version in the closet. Very old school now in this day and age. Would actually be a good thread, ‘internal rotating bezel dive watches’ one I’ve yet to see on a watch forum.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi.bloke View Post
                          Almost all watch brands that made divers watches will have an internal rotating bezel version in the closet. Very old school now in this day and age. Would actually be a good thread, ‘internal rotating bezel dive watches’ one I’ve yet to see on a watch forum.
                          Oh, OK. Good to know. Need to explore it a little more. At least I haven't seen inner bezels with japanese diver. If you know any please share models.

Comment

Citizen made quite a few. I’m not sure Seiko did - well I’ve not owned one.

https://vintagecitizenwatches.com/20...er-4-520343-y/

I have owned all 4 dial versions, only have the blue and red left now.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi.bloke View Post
                              Citizen made quite a few. I’m not sure Seiko did - well I’ve not owned one.

https://vintagecitizenwatches.com/20...er-4-520343-y/

I have owned all 4 dial versions, only have the blue and red left now.
                              Those are very handsome watches! Thanks for sharing! Now I want one )) and I will read more about citizen divers. Did you like those your have/had?

Comment

Working...
                              X