Seiko discontinued models...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seiko discontinued models...

hopefully this is just an end to the model no. not the watches themselves! Seiko do has a history of ending production on some classics though

Seiko recently made a surprising announcement.They have stated that they will discontinue series production of the ever-popular SARB017, SARB033, SARB035, and
    “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is the crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
    Always aim to be that man.

I really like the 017, almost pulled the trigger on it so many times. Seiko, in their wisdom will probably make a new version with a 4R movement, in 43mm with Hardlex, and sell none of the buggers!
    If I think of something witty, I'll be sure to write it here.

Comment

gonna miss the 017 .,, prices will now go stoopid for 2nd hand ,,,

Rest easy Matty , My best Mate and Son

Comment

Originally posted by deerworrier View Post
        hopefully this is just an end to the model no. not the watches themselves! Seiko do has a history of ending production on some classics though

Thank you for the link, DW. I wanted to “like” this post, but it would then look as if I “like” that Seiko is discontinuing these models.

That’s what I was initially thinking too, but if remembering that the SARB033 started life as the Spirit SCVS003

...and the Sumo has gone through one designation change, e.g. SBDC001 to SBDC031, I don’t recall there being an announcement from Seiko on neither occasions, so am afraid this might indeed be the end. Seiya-san probably thinks the same, else he won’t be quoting Hamlet (or rather Horatio from Hamlet). Although, I would say that the SARB line is not really Seiko’s Hamlet, as it has had a rather successful run for a JDM selling at a price point where a decade or two ago, if you weren’t a Seiko enthusiast, you won’t be spending this much on what you took to be inferior Japanese watches. Its production span saw the rise of popularity and acceptance of Seiko among more mainstream watch enthusiast, and many YouTubers, mostly Millennials, helped pushed both the SARB033 and SARB017 to stardom among younger men.

For me, I’m glad that I have had two, and still own one Alpinist SARB017, but have a regret that I’ve never really gotten over. That regret is missing out on owning the short-lived Alpinist SARB015, which was really my favourite of the 6R15 Alpinist.

While the green-dial Alpinist SARB017 was a remake of the 1995 4S15-equipped SCVF009, the also short-lived Alpinist SARB013 (cream dial) a remake of the SCVF007, but the SARB015 was its own thing. I was so near to buying a new one at the time when, after discussing with a friend on SCWF about collector’s value and rarity, I opted instead for a used SCVF007 (4S15-6000), which was a right move and led me onto owning six other 4S watches. Ironically, it is the SARB015 that, in today’s used market, has become much more a rarity... Oh well, I’ll get hold of one someday.

A watch journey that also serves the betterment of others is one worth taking.

Comment

That 015 is lovely.

There's still a SARB017 on TradeMe (don't know who SkyWatch are - seem to be in Singapore).

https://www.trademe.co.nz/jewellery-...1555809336.htm
          If I think of something witty, I'll be sure to write it here.

Comment

Working...
          X