Which Oldie is the Oldest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Oldie is the Oldest?

Here’s a bit of mid-week cheering up. Just for fun and a quick head-count of our members, a very simple Which Watch? Not a competition, no prizes, so try not to use outside help, i.e. Google… Okay okay, if you can’t stop yourself from Googling, please only do that after submitting your answer.

QUESTION: Which of the following four Seiko watches is the oldest? ...By this, I don’t mean when the model was released. I’m not referring to the condition, New Old Stock, and nothing tricky. Just straight up which has the earliest Date of Manufacture on its case back, i.e. which left the factory first?

The answer, together with pictures of their respective case backs, will be revealed Saturday morning. Reply posts welcomed, but please don’t give it away if you (think you) know the answer

1 Black SEIKO Automatic Dive is OLDEST
    5.88%
    2 Gold-plated SEIKO 5 Gent's watch is OLDEST
    41.18%
    3 Blue Pepsi SEIKO Chronograph is OLDEST
    35.29%
    4 Rectangular Black/Yellow SEIKO Digital is OLDEST
    17.65%
    On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Done. Would have thought there is not much between some of them.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi.bloke View Post
      Done. Would have thought there is not much between some of them.
      Thanks! Hmmm,.. Well, I did try to make it challenging ...Let's just say that the smallest age gap between the four is 11 months, and the largest age gap is 13 years.
      On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

Oh god... so whats the 1st thing to do... go through all Don's posts I guess, looking for the watches?

Currently sits as per:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Messages Image(2456065154).png
Views:	12
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	49006
        Harlan
        Timekeeper Watch Club
        Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Guessing, #2 or #3.... but don't really know.

Will go for #?

(Have voted)
          Harlan
          Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

• Don
            Don commented
            Editing a comment
            I can say, for sure, it is definitely #? :D

Thanks Don. Have voted and now await the big reveal.

Comment

• Don
            Don commented
            Editing a comment
            Cheers, Tempus... If I weren't the one making this up, I don't think I'd be able to guess correctly myself :/

I thought a wee bit of deduction would help suss it, but nah... I basically threw a dart.

SEIKO 5 has been around a long time, thats all I know... the Pulsemeter and diver are newer, pretty sure... came down to the 5 & Chrono for me.
          Then again, could be completely wrong & usually am
          Harlan
          Timekeeper Watch Club

Comment

Originally posted by harlansmart View Post

SEIKO 5 has been around a long time, thats all I know... the Pulsemeter and diver are newer, pretty sure... came down to the 5 & Chrono for me.
            Then again, could be completely wrong & usually am
            Hmm.. ...Influencing voting?

I generally find our group of WIS tend to know the quartz chronograph featured here quite well, and know what era it falls into. Other choices are less familiar, with the exception of maybe the lone Diver, for which we need to work out what Caliber it is to get an idea of the age. Where the others fall in comparison to the Chrono might be the challenge

Comment

there is 1 watch that woud never be in production now... I chose that one.
              This is fun Don
              I was a one watch guy until I got my first SEIKO

Comment

• Don
                Don commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh! Cryptic!? ...Creative strategy, and you got me downloading the latest Seiko catalog ..Thanks!

I picked one of the quartz ones... 80s period. Diver issuer, I hope. SEIKO 5 could be anytime!

Comment

• Don
                Don commented
                Editing a comment
                The Diver is all original, so no tricks. Actually all four are more or less all original, except the replacement straps on the rectangular digital--funny enough the straps on that last one is a genuine leather set from an LG smartwatch ...Yes, Seiko 5 is a hard one, though with the applied "5" logo, it would be post-1970.
                Last edited by Don; 22-03-19, 14:30.

Originally posted by Sarbie View Post
              there is 1 watch that woud never be in production now... I chose that one.
              This is fun Don
              Unless it’s a reissue or reproduction?

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi.bloke View Post

Unless it’s a reissue or reproduction?
                And I'll add that none of the four are re-edition or re-issue. They are all general release models, either International or JDM release.

Comment

Thank you for taking part in the Which Oldie is Oldest? Poll. 16 votes were tallied, so um… really hope that this is not all the active members we have Anyway, today, as promised, I’ll reveal the answer. However, I’d like to do this one by one, partially to milk all the suspense possible , and second, as it’s rather late in the evening here. I’ll go by numbers, from 1 to 4.

Now, these are tricky, and as I said in one of my comments above, had I been the one guessing, I doubt I would have chosen the correct watch as the Oldest. Indeed some of these watches could have shared the same catalog year—I have not actually checked—making hard the task. However, here is what is so wonderful about post-1970 Seiko: It is a wonder in itself for watches as diverse as these to have possibly even been on the same catalog. You won’t ever find vintage catalogs of any Swiss brand with such an array and mind-boggling variety as you do with Seiko.

So, let’s get stared with
                  No. 1

I’m amazed that more people did not think this to be the oldest, because it could have very well been! What is it exactly?… Well, it’s a more modern style slim-case mainstream Diver, so either a Quartz 7548, Automatic 6309-729x, 7002-700x, or current 7S26 SKX007.
                  • Dial says Automatic, so not the 7548.
                  • Dial says 150m, so cut out the SKX.
                  • Day/Date movement, meaning it could only be the 6309-729x (7002 is Date-only). Rectangular indices confirms, as does the flat-vent Z22 rubber.

The production span of the slim-case 6309-729x is 1980-1988. The one featured here is actually among the last 6309 produced…

January 1988

How you guys figured out that this is a 1988 as opposed to a 1980 is superhuman

Next is
                  No. 2

This is perhaps the trickiest of the four because Seiko 5 Day-Date have existed since the original concept of “5” was conceived in the mid-1960s. However, the applied logo “5” would inform that this is a 7000 Series movement onwards. Whether you guessed this is a Cal 700x or a later 7S26 you’d be about right, but still no where closer to dating it. Heck, most people when shown the case back would still be unable to correctly date the watch…

See what I mean? … Getting a look at this, you’ll need to know that the Cal 7009 belongs to the 3rd Generation (last gen) of the 7000 Series, and the movement itself was manufacture from 1980-1995. And… we’re still scratching our heads as to whether it is January of 1985 or 1995 Well, this one I happen to know because it was my dad who bought the watch new from a Seiko dealer around 1997, and it was, at the time, a recently-discontinued model at the time (Cal 7S26 debut in 1996).

To sum up, the gold-plated Seiko 5 dates to January 1995, the final year Seiko 5 was powered by a 700x movement.

Are these two the Oldest or the Newest? ...Off to sleep now, and more to come this evening NZ time.

Comment

The diver I discounted because it simply didn’t look old enough and figured it was late 80s. I knew there were older watches. The Seiko 5? Discounted because it looked new... or near enough. Not any brassing. No signs of wear and given that figured it was not the one. Pictures tell a 1000 words.

Comment

Continue from this morning… No. 3

I mentioned previously that most people here would be quite familiar with this Seiko Quartz Chronograph. Not only are these pieces a major milestone in the world of watches, being the world’s first analog quartz chronograph, but one with an attractive tri-compax design. The watch is of course a Quartz Chronograph 7A28, officially introduced in 1983, and this particular example being a 7A28-703A. The vast majority of the 7Ax8 chronographs were in production until that late-1980s, though some variants were made up until the early-90s.

The watch shown here was likely among the first 7A28 that Seiko made, with a production date preceding the official release date. This has been a common occurrence with Seiko, e.g. the first Cal 6139 Chronographs were manufactured as early as May 1969, even though the watches themselves were only announced later in the year before being available in stores in December 1969.

December 1982

Up to this point, the Seiko Quartz Chronograph 7A28-703A (December 1982) is the oldest, followed by the Seiko Automatic Diver Cal 6309 (January 1988), then the Seiko 5 7009 (January 1995) as the newest. Anyone here got these three in that order? ...So, the big question now is where the Black/Yellow Digital fit in
                      Last edited by Don; 23-03-19, 21:45.

Comment

Working...
                      X