Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don
    commented on 's reply
    Lol! Yep... this is only gold-plated though, so maybe 10 micron of preciousness?

• Sarbie
    replied
    I voted seiko 5...at the time the pictures did not load and I thought there was no way in hell they would make a seiko 5 in precious metal unless it was moonbeams ago!

Leave a comment:

• harlansmart
    replied
    Ha - that scene, course.

Why can I not get any decent res screen-grabs though.

Who is actually wearing the blacked-out S229-5001, oops, need to move this to the 'Watches in Film' thread.

Done !

https://www.timekeeper.co.nz/forum/watch-forums/general-watch-forum/40220-new-thread-on-watches-in-films-show-us-any-watch-you-see-on-the-screen-in-tv-movies-or-films/page4

Click image for larger version  Name:	ALIEN 2.png Views:	1 Size:	686.6 KB ID:	49165

Leave a comment:

• Don
    replied
    Originally posted by kiwi.bloke View Post
    ...was fairly sure however that the 7A28 was mid 80s, had no idea that specific dial combo was available in 1982 however.

Neither do a lot of people, I would say. When we research when the first analog quartz chronograph was released, we often find vague statement of "early-1980s" on leading reference articles--or those that come up near the top on Google Search anyway. Seiko, on their website, quotes 1983 as being the year. So December 1982 seems a reasonable assembly date, though none of the 7Ax8 appear in the 1982 catalog.

The 1982 Seiko Catalog (Japan) truly is a mix of very unlikely watches to share the same brochure.

Apart from the Pulsemeter S229s five posts above this one, we find the original Professional 600m 7549 "Golden Tuna", and the 300m Tuna...

...as well as pocket watches

Last edited by Don; 27-03-19, 15:12.

Leave a comment:

• Don
    commented on 's reply
    No... not about how much you know at all. I actually got the idea to do this poll when I myself found out that the Pulsemeter S229 is much earlier date than I thought, so prior to finding that out, I would have picked one of the others for sure

• Don
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks so much for the feedback, Harlan. Hope your gums are recovering well. I had to have all four of mine extracted at around 25. and because you've just had your wisdom teeth pulled out, we now have a better idea of your age ...Beware, when your 30th comes around, the watch bug hits even harder :D

• kiwi.bloke
    replied
    I picked the Pulsemeter - for the reasons already stated - was fairly sure however that the 7A28 was mid 80s, had no idea that specific dial combo was available in 1982 however.

Leave a comment:

• sjb
    replied
    I went with the 5. I thought the diver was the newest, and always thought the Pulsemeter was a 90s thing. Shows you how much I know!! (bugger all)

Leave a comment:

• harlansmart
    replied
    Sorry, been getting wisdom teeth pulled out & haven’t felt much like computering…

One of the (absolute) best posts, ever.... think a lot of people are probably just tentative to throw down, join in, and vote, it’s a bit weird, as they spend 1,000's of (wasted?) hours on a site getting tricked in to buying crap junk, not knowing what lies they’re being told whereas for free, they could come here, and learn a s**t tonne of useful beta from a master becoming informed buyers (the best kind)

Personally, my vote (albeit stupidly) went to the ‘5’ mostly 'cause it looked new, and I cruelly assumed the Sensei was trying to mislead

Can’t believe I didn’t notice the SEIKO watches in ALIEN 2 (1986) having only just watched the whole series of ALIEN films

Assuming Don didn’t vote, who else picked the Pulsemeter watch

(Certainly not us, we got )

===========================

Seiko 5 7009 (January 1995)

Seiko Automatic Diver Cal 6309 (January 1988)

Seiko Quartz Chronograph 7A28-703A (December 1982)

Seiko Pulsemeter (January 1982)

===========================

Click image for larger version

Name:	which.one.is.oldest.seiko.png
Views:	7
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	49153

Leave a comment:

• Don
    commented on 's reply
    I appreciate that, Tempus ...You surely would have gotten it right if I had made the pictures larger, but then again, it would be less fun ...Thank you!

• Tempus
    replied
    Thanks for the challenge Don.
    I thought the diver was a 7002 so learned a bit more here in your answer.

Leave a comment:

• Don
    replied
    Originally posted by kiwi.bloke View Post
    It’s early 80s as well, but how early. Actually that 7A28 is early... I picked the black yellow digi based on my version being a few years later that it. Damn!
    ...and that may have been the kind of gut feeling that gets you nice watches!

No. 4

When this watch first appeared on the Seiko Japan catalog, I was still in primary school, and it was still a couple of years later that I got my first Pulsar Digital. I have no idea how much the watches cost then—didn’t pay for it. One thing for sure is that my Pulsar Digital looks more “retro” in today’s eyes than this Seiko Pulsemeter Alarm Chronograph DEM018, shown here in a 1982 Catalog (Japan Domestic)…

Here’s a picture of the case back…

January 1982

The case reference is S229-5001, and is similar to (and often confused with) the Pulsemeter S234-5000 or S234-5010 worn by the Colonial Marines in the film Alien 2 (1986).

In the film, the Pulsemeter’s yellow button and pushers were painted black

The Seiko Pulsemeter (January 1982) is the oldest of the four watches.
    Last edited by Don; 23-03-19, 23:29.

Leave a comment:

• kiwi.bloke
    replied
    It’s early 80s as well, but how early. Actually that 7A28 is early... I picked the black yellow digi based on my version being a few years later that it. Damn!

Leave a comment:

• Don
    replied
    Continue from this morning… No. 3

I mentioned previously that most people here would be quite familiar with this Seiko Quartz Chronograph. Not only are these pieces a major milestone in the world of watches, being the world’s first analog quartz chronograph, but one with an attractive tri-compax design. The watch is of course a Quartz Chronograph 7A28, officially introduced in 1983, and this particular example being a 7A28-703A. The vast majority of the 7Ax8 chronographs were in production until that late-1980s, though some variants were made up until the early-90s.

The watch shown here was likely among the first 7A28 that Seiko made, with a production date preceding the official release date. This has been a common occurrence with Seiko, e.g. the first Cal 6139 Chronographs were manufactured as early as May 1969, even though the watches themselves were only announced later in the year before being available in stores in December 1969.

December 1982

Up to this point, the Seiko Quartz Chronograph 7A28-703A (December 1982) is the oldest, followed by the Seiko Automatic Diver Cal 6309 (January 1988), then the Seiko 5 7009 (January 1995) as the newest. Anyone here got these three in that order? ...So, the big question now is where the Black/Yellow Digital fit in
    Last edited by Don; 23-03-19, 21:45.

Leave a comment:

• kiwi.bloke
    replied
    The diver I discounted because it simply didn’t look old enough and figured it was late 80s. I knew there were older watches. The Seiko 5? Discounted because it looked new... or near enough. Not any brassing. No signs of wear and given that figured it was not the one. Pictures tell a 1000 words.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X