No announcement yet.

Advice for first Seiko

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done, glad you found something you like and quick. Nice looking watch, I didn't know they did a sky blue variant. Enjoy and hope it works out as expected.
    Inthe meantime welcome to the addiction,
    Rest easy Matty , My best Mate and Son

Comment

Originally posted by Ghen View Post
      Watches on the computer screen may/will not seem the same size in real life, especially once on the wrist
      Very much so and you’ll find that as you handle and own more watches, that gap between what you estimate to be on the computer screen and the actual watch in person will decrease. For instance, I myself am rarely ever surprised by how a watch that I have never seen or touched in person subsequent feels on my wrist. You too will develop this over time.

The presage I looked at initially had a case dia of 39.3mm. I don't know if it was because I was looking at it side by side with some divers, but it felt and wore very small. For comparison the 343 is 42mm and doesn't look as lost on my wrist...
      Presage do come in a variety of case shape, and these sometimes determine how large the watch overall looks. Your SSA343J1 is, by specs, 40.5 mm, but I think the big factors in its larger appearance than a typical 39 mm Presage could be due to 1) the relatively thinner bezel, and 2) the silver dial, both of which makes the dial appear bigger. Visually, I would even say the SSA343J1 would appear, from front view, as large as a 43 mm diver.

Is it easy to read? time wise yes, the date hand complication is virtually useless, but the power meter is a nice to have, and its subtle enough in the light of day to not be distracting...
      The date hand complication is, I would say, an example of simplicity but not minimalist, and a feature that places aesthetic over usability. It is, however, seen as a true complication, compared to the traditional Date window. I see the use of this feature as being very true to the spirit of the Presage range, which places more importance on aesthetically-pleasing designs than on usability, i.e. the Presage, IMO, are less about reading the time, and more about the beauty of presenting time

The Seiko Cal. 4R57 inside is actually very interesting. Normally, multi-complication movements have one aesthetic drawback in that they have to forgo symmetry. My Orient Star Retrograde SDE00002B0, with an equally hard to read Date-pointer, demonstrates this point.

It is quite challenging to design foe a multi-complication movement that is non-symmetric yet balanced. The Seiko 4R57 is quite unique in being a multi-complication that is symmetric, and even though the power reserve indicator does not actually complete a 360 rotation, it still appears like it could. I believe the caliber designer chose this type of date complication over a Date window in order to preserve this symmetry. It is in keeping with the calling of the Presage watches, and I think Seiko designers did a very good job of designing a watch around the 4R57.

Maybe not quite under 500, but the price did start with a 5. it was heavily discounted but still sold new from an NZ bricks and mortar AD. I doubt I would have gone for this at full retail, but for the money I could make a couple of compromises, and use it to make sure that I do want to live the mechanical watch life. If I decide I don't like it, well I'm not going to be significantly upside down on it
      Oh and waiting? Eh it was too good a deal to pass on... I hope!
      The lowest-priced SSA343J1 on eBay, shipped to New Zealand with GST, would set you back around NZ$630. So, $5xx is a very good deal, and I think you did very well. Wear it as you intend, but take good care of the watch and retain the box & papers. After a few months, if you decide the piece is not for you, I’m sure there will still be takers on TradeMe for around $450—a minimal exchange for the experience and learning more about what you like.

Doing the same on a $2k watch will likely cost you $500 over the same few months. So, what you have done is definitely a wise move.
      Last edited by Don; 10-01-21, 19:01.
      On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

Working...
      X