Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tag Heuer Formula 1

Hi to all the timekeepers.

Just want to know if anyone of you have tag heuer formula 1?... Can give me some review of it and recommendation. Or... If anyone want to sale tag heuer formula 1 watch,...Just pm me.. Cheers

Welcome to the forum.

There are quite a number of TAG Heuer watches that make up the Formula 1 line. Essentially, it’s the entry-level range to TAG Heuer, itself a basic luxury brand, though one that enjoys enormous popularity. TAG would probably rate among the top 3 Swiss in terms of popularity alone.

Formula 1 concentrates on exterior style more than anything else. All employ Swiss quartz movements that are of the common high-volume, mass-produced, unexceptional type, but durable and reliable nonetheless. There are 2 basic types of analog quartz, 1 analog-digital, and 1 quartz chronograph, but each have huge variations of styling and colour to choose from. All have stainless steel cases, titanium-carbide bezel, and sapphire crystal.

Here are just representatives of each.

TAG Heuer Formula 1 Professional WAH1110.BA0850

TAG Heuer Formula 1 Grande WAH1011.BA0854

TAG Heuer Formula 1 Collection Chronograph CAH1111.BA0850

TAG Heuer Formula 1 Chronotimer Digital-Analog CAC111D.BA0850

From my experience with owning TAGs, quality is very good, but not excellent. Unless you are buying used, I personally feel they are quite weak in value. The reason being that they are priced within the Basic luxury band, yet they lack the enduring quality and innate value that you would find in the slightly more expensive Lower Mid-Range luxury. With most of the value they offer being their trendy style, they do not stand up well against time and changes in fashion, and this affects their future value. However, if you are buying one second-hand at a reasonable price, they can be good value. Some very nice TAGs come up on TradeMe from time to time.

And then there are the original vintage TAG Heuer Professional Formula 1.

(Image source: Watches To Buy.com)

This is a different story all together. They were around in the late-80s, were the face of TAG-Heuer at the time, and have become quite an icon. As a Gen X, I remembered these as the watch to have in high school and the coolest (and richest) kids had them. Many Baby Boomers reading this would probably remember their kids wanting one. I know Harlan has had heaps (he’s probably got enough parts at home to make one now). They came in all different colours, and nice specimens can command quite a price nowadays. And of course, when something is iconic and attains value among collectors, then their tangible or material value become irrelevant.

I'm sure others would add to my view.
    A watch journey that also serves the betterment of others is one worth taking.

Comment

Don as usual you sum things up very very nicely.

M2CW FWIW - Simply put, for me, the Original F1 has heart. Heart - it is collectable (c'mon, no ones going to argue with that - they are) and it was the 1st of the line in many ways.

For me, the new style F1 is too much, too many models - too hard to 'get excited about' - the Original Series all the parts fitted all the models, for a long time - they are sweet little numbers and like Don I also remember clamouring to have one, to be part of the 'cool crew'... maybe that's why I have had so many since.

I remember buying them new from Brian Nairn in Christchurch in 1995, one for myself and one for a 'friend' - cost me $1'300 folding and that included a healthy discount indeed - I flew back to Auckland that night happy.

Oops - MORE questions on my Day Date...

Welcome to the forum.

There are quite a number of TAG Heuer watches that make up the Formula 1 line. Essentially, it’s the entry-level range to TAG Heuer, itself a basic luxury brand, though one that enjoys enormous popularity. TAG would probably rate among the top 3 Swiss in terms of popularity alone.

Formula 1 concentrates on exterior style more than anything else. All employ Swiss quartz movements that are of the common high-volume, mass-produced, unexceptional type, but durable and reliable nonetheless. There are 2 basic types of analog quartz, 1 analog-digital, and 1 quartz chronograph, but each have huge variations of styling and colour to choose from. All have stainless steel cases, titanium-carbide bezel, and sapphire crystal.

Here are just representatives of each.

TAG Heuer Formula 1 Professional WAH1110.BA0850

TAG Heuer Formula 1 Grande WAH1011.BA0854

TAG Heuer Formula 1 Collection Chronograph CAH1111.BA0850

TAG Heuer Formula 1 Chronotimer Digital-Analog CAC111D.BA0850

From my experience with owning TAGs, quality is very good, but not excellent. Unless you are buying used, I personally feel they are quite weak in value. The reason being that they are priced within the Basic luxury band, yet they lack the enduring quality and innate value that you would find in the slightly more expensive Lower Mid-Range luxury. With most of the value they offer being their trendy style, they do not stand up well against time and changes in fashion, and this affects their future value. However, if you are buying one second-hand at a reasonable price, they can be good value. Some very nice TAGs come up on TradeMe from time to time.

And then there are the original vintage TAG Heuer Professional Formula 1.

(Image source: Watches To Buy.com)

This is a different story all together. They were around in the late-80s, were the face of TAG-Heuer at the time, and have become quite an icon. As a Gen X, I remembered these as the watch to have in high school and the coolest (and richest) kids had them. Many Baby Boomers reading this would probably remember their kids wanting one. I know Harlan has had heaps (he’s probably got enough parts at home to make one now). They came in all different colours, and nice specimens can command quite a price nowadays. And of course, when something is iconic and attains value among collectors, then their tangible or material value become irrelevant.

I'm sure others would add to my view.
      Harlan
      Timekeeper Watch Club
      Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Hi don.. Thanks for the review.. Really interesting.. Can i know example of lower Mid-Range luxury watch?.. Cheers

Comment

Hi don.. Thanks for the review.. Really interesting.. Can i know example of lower Mid-Range luxury watch?.. Cheers

PM sent. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks for that write up Don it's great. Are you able to produce a similar write up of the Grand Carrera range please? I would like to know you insights and views in particular their value in the Tag chain of watches and especially their movements and 2nd hand value.. thanks

Comment

Thanks for that write up Don it's great. Are you able to produce a similar write up of the Grand Carrera range please? I would like to know you insights and views in particular their value in the Tag chain of watches and especially their movements and 2nd hand value.. thanks

Will gladly do a write up... if you can send me the watch :D :P ..just kidding.

jabz, I've neither owned nor handled the Grand Carrera, as TAGs aren't really in my scope of interest of late. On the forum, Harlan probably has the most experience with the brand, and would be able to give you a more qualified opinion. Meanwhile, here's a link to a review on PuristSPro by Kong. It is not the exact model you are after, but uses the same movement caliber, and I'd assume it to have the same level of build quality etc.

http://home.watchprosite.com/show-nblog.post/ti-449136/

Comment

just wonder what's the retail price of this watch in the market? I really like it!

Comment

hey mate
                  when i purchased my first tag heuer f1 non chrono from Stewart Dawson few years back they retail for just under $1000 plus there was 20% off. the chronos were from $1400. however i think the 2012/13 model are bit more expensive!

Comment

Working...
                  X