OH NO!! A Re dial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OH NO!! A Re dial

Just thought I would do a quick follow up of a discussion some time ago on another thread started by Mark called "Pierpont President renovation". One of the questions he asked was about whether or not he should get his dial restored , and after some debate he decided to keep his dial original :D . At the time I did not have a dial being restored so was unable to post any pics for comparison. However I have had a project on the go for a couple of months now and I have just today finished it to my satisfaction . The watch I have been working on is a 1950s Alpina dress watch with a very nice 17 jewel rhodium plated manual wind movement with sub seconds. In my opinion the dial was a complete wreck :cry: so decided that it was a good candidate to be re dialed. Now, before you all go off to do some projectile vomiting at the thought of stripping the age and patina from a watch take a look at the before picture.

Like most WIS I prefer to keep a watch as original as possible, especially the dial. So it takes an awful lot of thought to bite the bullet and go for a complete strip down and refurbishment. My Alpina originally had a off white dial with gold embossed figures, pearl track, and the black Alpina logo at 12. As you can see it was a shadow of it's former self and uncleanable.

This is the result. Off white, gold embossed figures with pearl track and Alpina in black at 12. Almost exactly as original. $60 well spent in my opinion. If anyone is interested in a dial refurb, but is too embarrassed ops: to say it in public feel free to pm me and I will be happy to give you details.
    Don't worry I won't tell anyone .

Attached files

Preparation and planning prevent piss poor performance

That's an amazing result indeed, beautiful.....

Comment

Yeah well, captain......... Boy, you're really deep in the brown stuff mate!! The Admin/Moderators will drop on you from a great height and will most likely remove your post. Fancy someone like you doing that and thinking you'd get away with it!!! On this Forum you're not allowed to use 'Photoshop', air-brushed pics, fake or different photograghs other than the original. Do you expect us to believe they are the same dial - GET OUTTA HERE!! That's trick photography, but very good trick photography..... if you weren't the nice fella I've been told you are, then I'd even have a go at you myself, Will 8-)
      P.S. I do have to admit though, that Alpina, (the 2nd one), is one hell of a nice looking watch mate. Well done!! :thumbup: :mrgreen:
      The best watch is the one that makes you happiest... and tells the time.

Comment

Yeah well, captain......... Boy, you're really deep in the brown stuff mate!! The Admin/Moderators will drop on you from a great height and will most likely remove your post. Fancy someone like you doing that and thinking you'd get away with it!!! On this Forum you're not allowed to use 'Photoshop', air-brushed pics, fake or different photograghs other than the original. Do you expect us to believe they are the same dial - GET OUTTA HERE!! That's trick photography, but very good trick photography..... if you weren't the nice fella I've been told you are, then I'd even have a go at you myself, Will 8-)
        P.S. I do have to admit though, that Alpina, (the 2nd one), is one hell of a nice looking watch mate. Well done!! :thumbup: :mrgreen:
        I dont think its the same dial, if it is, hes a magician.
        'I hope, when i die, my wife doesn't sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them.'

Comment

Wow - looks really clean and nice now doesn't it... I think (just my humble 2cw) it's personal preference and the new redial is in the watch so it's not a good comparison, if the old dial was in the case and the case was clean and the dial cover and hands clean it could look cool as well... the script on the redials always goes to fat (where it ought to be skinny) – this too irks me, why change the markings on the sub dial track as well... I have personally never had a watch redialled other that a vintage sub I got done for someone else - that cost $600 and came back exactly the same (9 mths later) as it went off except the scratches caused by the errant hands tool of a watchmaker (not mine) had vanished. The (Kraut I think) redialler had done a simply amazing job, actually looked patinaed and the 40 years old it should have been... other well known places in Asia do a good job for $2-300 and so on but you have to say, you just have to that $60 is a deal, and it is very hard to say the result is not a success, I won't that’s for sure, the watch is beautiful!!

PS – way that done by a Nth. Isl. TK Member??
          Harlan
          Timekeeper Watch Club
          Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

An Amazing transformation.
            Love it,
            Good job Mate
            Rest easy Matty , My best Mate and Son

Comment

Thanks for all your comments guys . On the whole I am very pleased with the result and at $60 I reckon it is a small price to pay in order to be able to look at my watch without having to skulk into the shadows to check the time in case anyone sees it :D . Unfortunately, I can't take credit for the dial as it was done in the US of A.

I think (just my humble 2cw) it's personal preference and the new redial is in the watch so it's not a good comparison, if the old dial was in the case and the case was clean and the dial cover and hands clean it could look cool as well... the script on the redials always goes to fat (where it ought to be skinny) – this too irks me, why change the markings on the sub dial track as well...

Harlan... As usual you are the first to point out it's flaws . I am considering applying to the Oxford Dictionary to have a new word put in..."HARLANESQUE" 8-) 8-) (Picky, Excessively meticulous, scrupulous, fastidious, with great attention to detail). All derived from a part anagram of "Harlan", i,e "Anal" . Harlan please don't hurt me :cry: . Of course you are exactly right about the logo and the sub seconds track, but most people are not as informed as you are when it comes to watches. They also don't have the benefit of before and after photos 5x bigger than the watch to look at. I did wear it for a short time after I had stripped and cleaned the movement but I couldn't stand looking at the lump of green snot under the crystal.

if you weren't the nice fella I've been told you are, then I'd even have a go at you myself, Will

Hey Will, me? a nice fella ? You must have been talking to the wrong people
              Thanks again for your input guys :thumbup:

Comment

very nice Captain and I agree with you I would far rather the new dial which, notwithstanding Harlanesque criticism,
                is an amazing job was that 60 Us dollars or coin of our realm?
                I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

Thanks Doc, A compliment indeed :D . As for the Price. I took the liberty of posting the price in good old NZ Dollars

Comment

I Think thats ruddy marvellous! and the price just as amazing, I have had one done some t ime ago in the States and it was hundreds more than that.
                    Regardless of what others think you have to do what suits you...I have a gold filled expanding Speidel band on a 14k Rolex Perpetual date, I think it looks great, it is certainly comfortable and undropable.So altho Im happy I know some purists will blush!
                    Right now Im trying to source a 20 mm gold filled expanding band for my President Day date..and I think I have it!

Comment

Just thought I would put up a before and after of one of my latest projects. This one is from a Alpina bumper auto that I have been working on. All I need to complete is a new stem which is on order from Holland (A good parts supplier I know). The case houses a very nice pink gold Cal 582 Alpina bumper movement 8-) (it was in a sorry state when I first got it) Now clean and running well :D .

Attached files

Comment

That new dial is tops, Id be proud as punch with it, Price wise a gift. I never have had a problem with redialing if it is going to improve the watch. Well done cheers Geo :D

Comment

Me niether that dial looks fantastic white hands on black dial stunning and even us old guys can read it
                          I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

Me niether that dial looks fantastic white hands on black dial stunning and even us old guys can read it
                            Hey Doc, The hands might be black to, think you could still read it
                            'Man Invented time, Cyma Perfected it.'

Comment

Here are a couple more pics 8-)

Attached files

Comment

Working...
                              X