Greatest Historical watches.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Historical watches.

The Mrs asked me last night. "If you could have just one watch from the past with a famous connection, regardless of cost or rarity, what would it be"? I thought, Oh that's easy.......... erm maybe not. I couldn't even get past the "would I wear it if I had it stage". So I thought I would pass the question to you guys for a little help
    I'm beginning to think there might be something in this "climate change" after all. A few months ago it was freezing cold, and now it's quite warm!

Omega Moon Watch

Comment

Yep, thats a good choice :thumbup: . But which one? Assuming you mean from the Apollo 11 crew of Armstrong, Aldrin or Collins.(Did they all have a Speedy?) And would you dare wear it? I'm not sure I would
      I'm beginning to think there might be something in this "climate change" after all. A few months ago it was freezing cold, and now it's quite warm!

Comment

Famous connection,
        Jacques Cousteau
        Which watch is harder to choose from as he wore so many :
        Aquastar,Rolex,Omega ,Blancpain,Doxa

But I would end up with a 600 ploprof if I had to choose

Other watches worn by his team:

ZRC Grands Fonds, Lip Nautic-Ski (1967),nivada depthomatic,
        Google these and see where their designs are used in modern watches.
        Rest easy Matty , My best Mate and Son

Comment

John Harrison's longitude watch/clock..

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015 ... urd-claims

This would be the watch... the H4..

Cheers
          Tony Lewis
          New Zealand

Comment

Cooks chronometer would be a good conversation piece on the coffee table. The one he took on the Discovery to test for the Admiralty was very similar to Tonys pic. Pogue's Pogue would be on my list too.

Comment

Cooks chronometer would be a good conversation piece on the coffee table. The one he took on the Discovery to test for the Admiralty was very similar to Tonys pic. Pogue's Pogue would be on my list too.

That would probably be because it was one of Harrison's watches from what I recall of the story..
              Tony Lewis
              New Zealand

Comment

That's a real toughie.... I reckon the moon watch would be right up there, or Connery's Rolex, Douglas Bader's Omega, Churchill's Breguet... The list goes on [FACE SCREAMING IN FEAR]

Comment

Billy Ts watch, and buggar,i sold it :thumbdown:

Attached files

'Man Invented time, Cyma Perfected it.'

Comment

Some legendary pieces so far , but I'm still not sure. Captain Cooks watch has to be up there given the importance of his explorations. I have a soft spot for explorers or pioneers so Sir Eds/Tenzing's Smiths/Rolex, or perhaps Amundsen, Scott, or Shackleton's watch, or even one of my modern day hero's Ranulph Fiennes personal Kobold. As far as famous watches go. Famous just for being watches, Tony's suggestion is a beauty, however I think I would go for this Patek (The Henry Graves Supercomplication from 1933 (Took 8 years to develop and build by hand )
                    So it would seem that I still can't answer the Mrs's question, so any more help out there? :thumbup:

Attached files

Comment

The Mrs just suggested....Donald Bird in the sound of speed

Comment

Any of the actual watches worn by the only real Bond, Sean Connery. This one will do for starters.

And apologies for the unaligned bezel captain

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Comment

Billy Ts watch, and buggar,i sold it :thumbdown:

What were you thinking, Pete??
                          Tony Lewis
                          New Zealand

Comment

That's a real toughie.... I reckon the moon watch would be right up there, or Connery's Rolex, Douglas Bader's Omega, Churchill's Breguet... The list goes on [FACE SCREAMING IN FEAR]
                            Or Chuck Yeager's.... Timex. He cracked the crystal flapping his arms around during one of his X1 flights, but Id take it as is ; )

Comment

Damn straight [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Comment

Working...
                              X