Further strap attempt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Further strap attempt

Decided to have another go at trench watch strap..

Decided to not use my wife's sewing machine. . stitching done by Mr Minit.

Start of the slits..

On wrist.. Some tidying of slits required still..

Long way to go to be up to the Captain's standard.

Cheers
    Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

That doesn't look to bad at all Tony Bit more practice and hand stitching "in house" and you'll be there mate :thumbup:
    I'm beginning to think there might be something in this "climate change" after all. A few months ago it was freezing cold, and now it's quite warm!

Comment

That doesn't look to bad at all Tony Bit more practice and hand stitching "in house" and you'll be there mate :thumbup:

Tool for hand stitching??
      Tony Lewis
      New Zealand

Comment

What I do is after cutting the leather to it's final shape, I put a groove in the leather on both sides along the track I want the stitching to go, using a hot iron tool. Then I use a steel rule and a sharpened punch, and hammer small holes at whatever interval is appropriate for the stitch length. Then I hand stitch round with a stout needle and try to finish at the least noticeable point. Once that is done I hammer the leather. After that I use a Dremel type tool to bevel and sand the edges and then either leave them rough, burnish, or coat them with a water resistant coating. These techniques are by no means the correct way of doing things, they are just methods I've learned to use over time, with limited knowledge and tools available

Attached files

I'm beginning to think there might be something in this "climate change" after all. A few months ago it was freezing cold, and now it's quite warm!

Comment

The start of my next trench watch strap..

More to follow..

Cheers
          Tony Lewis
          New Zealand

Comment

Still needs to be stitched..
            Tony Lewis
            New Zealand

Comment

Stitched..

Cheers
              Tony Lewis
              New Zealand

Comment

Started one for the Chinese Air Force Chronograph..

Cheers
                Tony Lewis
                New Zealand

Comment

Cheers
                  Tony Lewis
                  New Zealand

Comment

Now with some hand stitching.. Need to work on this skill I think..

Cheers
                    Tony Lewis
                    New Zealand

Comment

Now after the application of some brown shoe polish..

Cheers
                      Tony Lewis
                      New Zealand

Comment

Well then Tony.....That looks a bit of a dogs dinner doesn't it Seriously though mate, we've all been there. These things aren't easy to make, but practice will see you improve by leaps and bounds. There is a lot more to making these things than meets the eye, and I for one congratulate you for taking this new skill on. I'd be interested to hear what you think of the whole process, highs, lows etc. Anyway, keep it up :thumbup:

Comment

Well then Tony.....That looks a bit of a dogs dinner doesn't it Seriously though mate, we've all been there. These things aren't easy to make, but practice will see you improve by leaps and bounds. There is a lot more to making these things than meets the eye, and I for one congratulate you for taking this new skill on. I'd be interested to hear what you think of the whole process, highs, lows etc. Anyway, keep it up :thumbup:

Thanks, Alex..I can always rely on you for an honest opinion.. :thumbup:

Obviously, the Mark One eyeball isn't as accurate as it used to be, thus the stitch spacing.. I used a two needle method to do the saddle stitching.. Either way, I have some knowledge I didn't have before..

Cheers
                          Tony Lewis
                          New Zealand

Comment

No worries mate
                            Here's one of my early straps. Looks pretty much like yours.
                            The stitching was the hardest thing to get right for me. It didn't matter how careful I was, I still couldn't get the stitches where I wanted them. I ended up making a groove (I think it was DWC's suggestion ........Where's he nowadays?) on both sides along the course I wanted the stitching to go, then using a punch and steel rule to mark out stitch spaces. Another thing I had to work at was getting layers to the right thickness so that once assembled they weren't too bulky and tapered towards the end.

Attached files

Comment

Purchased one of these..

Waiting on the finer needle and then will use with next strap..
                              Tony Lewis
                              New Zealand

Comment

Working...
                              X