X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake Daytona

another fake

Thank you, Remiza. Good to see you post

Here's the link to the auction, still live at the time of my post... https://www.trademe.co.nz/jewellery-...79723ddb5c-002

...What's interesting about this listing, for me, is not so much the watch, but punters' response to it. Well, whoever said people act rationally. Zooming in closer, adjusting for contrast, we see...

The obvious thing is what it is not, but judging on how the sub-dial at 6 o'clock seem to match the position of the sweep second, am guessing it is also a constant second. So, here you go, for anyone who has never seen a movement with both a sub-second and sweep second ...At 9 o'clock is week, i.e. Day pointer, and I reckon at 3 o'clock is a Date. In all, more complications than most genuine Rolex have!

A wild guess would be that the watch has a Chinese DG3836P Automatic, manufactured by Seagull, Mingzhu, and possibly others.

I don't pass judgement on the watch itself though. It exists because there is a demand for counterfeits globally--always have been and always will be. It was made cheap, and sold cheap to the original owner. Ethical debate aside (and if you really want to go down that debate path, then bring in protectionism, labour exploitation, etc, as well), no replica manufacture makes watch to fool their customers, some of whom are repeat buyers.

Western tourists who like to buy these on their holidays all paid a miserly amount. No one ever buys them thinking they are the real deal. No one is ever scammed... The real scammer is not the producer, not the distributor, but crooked people like the seller jdm.trading.inc, who knows full well what he is doing. Unfortunately, people like this can also be found on eBay too, almost always based in the same country as the victim.

The watch is not what is fake. Sellers like jdm.trading.inc are.
    Last edited by Don; 01-03-20, 23:42.
    On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

So.... the impossibly rare ROLEX Day-Date Dual-Constant-Seconds Chronograph, what next, moon phase, tides

130+ Watchers
      39+ Questions
      2500+ Views
      45+ Bids

Sums things nicely

Fees'd be around $250-300

Why why why why why why why, why

Thanks Don for alluding to Dual Constant Seconds 'gull movement

Cheers Remiza for reminding again 'The least used sense used by humans is common sense'*

My smallish brain no longer believes what it's connected eyes see let alone attempts to make sense of it*

Click image for larger version  Name:	Messages Image(1772974248).png Views:	0 Size:	49.1 KB ID:	56714

Harlan
      Timekeeper Watch Club
      New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Can't believe this hasn't been yanked off TM yet.
        If I think of something witty, I'll be sure to write it here.

Comment

I can.

Originally posted by sjb View Post
          Can't believe this hasn't been yanked off TM yet.

This isn't actually funny you know...

eliya1 on 022 345 6070 will probably be out buying it about now...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200304 18K Rolex daytona.1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.3 KB ID:	56746

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200304 18K Rolex daytona.2.png Views:	0 Size:	404.5 KB ID:	56749
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20200304 18K Rolex daytona.3.png Views:	0 Size:	344.1 KB ID:	56748
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20200304 18K Rolex daytona.4.png Views:	0 Size:	431.9 KB ID:	56747
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20200304 18K Rolex daytona.5.png Views:	0 Size:	352.7 KB ID:	56750
          Last edited by ceLux; 04-03-20, 11:25.

Comment

I reported it about 2hrs before the end - just after my post. Couldn't just sit by and watch somebody get scammed (even if they were stupid). EDIT: TM withdrew it I see,
            Last edited by sjb; 04-03-20, 13:02.
            If I think of something witty, I'll be sure to write it here.

Comment

Working...
            X