Tag heuer??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tag heuer??

I recently was given a watch but I'm finding it really hard to tell if it is genuine piece or not could some please help me?

Hi and welcome to Timekeeper NZ ...Very good of you to be seeking opinion on this watch, and hope that, if you do have an interest in watches, you'll continue to enjoy our forum.

With the specimen in the photos you've attached, I'm sorry to say that it is unfortunately not an authentic TAG Heuer. It's a counterfeit of something along the line of the TAG Heuer 2000 Series from the mid-1980s to mid-90s. TAGs are among the most copied watch brands in the world, so not uncommon for these to turn up every now and then. Anything else we can assist you with, please feel free to ask.
    Last edited by Don; 23-03-20, 00:06.
    On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

• KB73
      KB73 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your reply

• Don
      Don commented
      Editing a comment
      You're welcome, KB73. Hope to see you around the forum.

I concur

Always find it semi-interesting that the Chinese even bothered to copy the 1500/2000 series TAG's... guess they were relatively easy to 'duplicate' and popular/saleable

You were just given a free authentication by one of the top watch experts in the country, all w/out visiting your CV19 afflicted local High St

Harlan
    Timekeeper Watch Club
    New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

Thanks for adding your assessment, Harlan.

Originally posted by harlansmart View Post
      ... Always find it semi-interesting that the Chinese even bothered to copy the 1500/2000 series TAG's... guess they were relatively easy to 'duplicate' and popular/saleable ...
      Examining the OP’s photos, including the case, case back, and bracelet, my opinion is that this watch was likely made in since the early-1990s, when the genuine 2000 Series was still being sold in stores. So, yes, “Chinese”, but a different Chinese than what the term would imply today. This was before the time China opened its country and subsequently became a production base for watch components, and along with that, a source for the replica watch industry. I would say this piece is most likely made in Hong Kong, while still under British rule—there were also fakes made in Taiwan, but usually better quality than this particular one.

Inside the OP’s watch, I am guessing the movement to be a TMI (Seiko) or a Citizen Miyota module, both would have been the most inexpensive at the time. In those days, CAD/CAM was still very much out of reach for these rep producers, so it was hard to even get the watches to resemble the genuine original. As for market demand, yes, very much so.

I remember the watch market of the 1990s well—I was budding enthusiasts with very big aspirations but very little financial means to satisfy them. I remember how people of my age at the time viewed TAG Heuer. While at uni, the more well-to-do guys would draw blank faces at the mention of Breitling, Oris, or Longines, but all of them knew TAG, and most of them wanted one. When the S/EL came out in mid-90s, that was all the rage, and if you couldn’t afford an S/EL, any older TAG series would also do.

TAG Heuer made young people of the 90s who weren’t previously interested in, nor knew much about, watches want to own it. An incredible feat for a brand that was only 10 years old at the time. If you had turned up wearing a Rolex or Omega, it would have probably been a hand-me-down from your old man, but wear a TAG, and people knew it was yours. Of course, for those who couldn’t afford one, but must be seen with one, copies of all budgets were waiting to take their money.

Today, I giggle inside whenever I hear some WIS saying something along the line of someone who purchased an automatic watch during the 90s as being classy, discerning, and how much they must have been looked up to. These WIS have obviously either not lived in the 90s or have forgotten what the 90s watch scene was like. Quartz was the top choice, and among the young, so was TAG Heuer.
      On the instruments we entrust to pace our lives, to bear witness to our days, and to be the keepers of the most precious thing we have... time.

Comment

haha - good post Don, 1st Swiss watch C1990 was an S/el (also #1 choice of the late great Ayrton Senna)... next came a 6000 Series TAG and 3rd was a 16610 Sub bought over the counter one Friday night from none other than David Mansor himself, who graciously let us take our cycles in-store

Harlan
        Timekeeper Watch Club
        New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth

Comment

• Don
          Don commented
          Editing a comment
          Cheers, Harlan ...You were certainly into luxury watches way before I was. For most of the 1990s, Mido and Tissot were the best quality new watches I owned. I spent a lot of time staring into shop windows, TAG ADs included, but the shop rarely had any automatic models in--they just didn't sell, I was told. During the early-90s, I would have loved to have a 2000 Series Automatic, but never gotten one... To this day, whenever I see a Ref. 669.206F in good condition for sale, usually for not much nowadays, my heart jumps a beat or two.

• kiwi.bloke
          kiwi.bloke commented
          Editing a comment
          We all have stories of our formative watch collecting days... I owned a Tag Heuer black resin diver back in the mid 90s, was the first watch I ever remember owning of any value/robustness. I think I had a swatch or 2 beforehand and also a swatch pocket watch that I think I still have somewhere. Met my then girlfriends father who had 300+ watches and was told Tag Heuers were a piece of shite! And had been ever since TAG brought them out. In short order I had an Omega Constellation and Seiko 6139-6002 and never looked back from there. Funny really but still look down on Tag Heuers as being inferior to the original Heuer brand and never owned another since,
      Working...
      X