Another recased pocket watch..

anzac1957

Another recased pocket watch..

Post by anzac1957 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:02 pm

So there is this listing..

Item Name: Incredible Elgin Nat. Watch 1889. 118 years old! Original Porcelain Dial and Movement.
Item Number: 1357491308
Seller ID: sherriffofnothi
Link: https://trademe.co.nz/1357491308

Seller Description:
Not everyday you get to wear a really stunning watch that is over 100 years old.

To say this watch makes a statement is an understatement!!

The Elgin National Watch Company, commonly known as Elgin Watch Company, was a major US watchmaker from 1864 to 1968. The company sold watches under the names Elgin, Lord Elgin, and Lady Elgin.

For nearly 100 years the company's manufacturing complex in Elgin, Illinois, was the largest site dedicated to watchmaking in the world. The company was first incorporated in August 1864 as the National Watch Company, in Chicago, Illinois The growing young city of Elgin, Illinois, some 30 miles northwest of Chicago, was chosen as the factory site. The company built the Elgin National Watch Company Observatory in 1910 to maintain scientifically precise times in their watches. The company produced many of the self-winding wristwatch movements made in the United States.
The company officially changed its name to the Elgin National Watch Company in 1874, as the Elgin name had come into common usage for their watches. This watch is a Model 2, Grade 10, 18 size, open face, 11 jewels, safety pinion, quick train with gold jewel settings and nickel plate. Stem wind with lever set movement. It is in excellent working order, with a balance wheel motion that has a fine, wide arc and strong, steady beat. Movement has been recently serviced to ensure it winds and sets smoothly while keeping great, accurate time. Serial number 3742506 dates it to the year 1889.

There is a fine hairline crack at 6 in the original porcelain dial which is virtually invisible when wearing the watch.

The pictures tell the story, who wouldn't want to wear it? Comes with the highest quality fine leather band.

Diameter: 51.5 mm; Thickness: 20 mm.

Notes:

Movement from 1889..

No mention in listing that this is a pocket watch movement in a modern wrist watch case.. or that a pocket watch movement of that age is not designed for sitting on a wrist with all the movement that entails..

My question/comment..

Will be interested to see reply..

Cheers

anzac1957

Re: Another recased pocket watch..

Post by anzac1957 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:39 pm

Question from today answered but mine ignored so far..

anzac1957

Post by anzac1957 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:17 pm

The question remained unanswered as did someone else's.. because I asked a question, it ended up on watchlist and wouldn't you know it I got an offer for me to purchase email.. not at any point did sherriffofnothi change the body of the listing to indicate a vintage movement in a modern case..

sherriffofnothi recased pocket watch.png
sherriffofnothi recased pocket watch.png (238.13 KiB) Viewed 147 times

Jackal

Post by Jackal » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:33 pm

I was "201" from Trademe and the "sheriff" as you can see took exception to my line
of comment of which I never lost any sleep over. A fraud hiding behind a description
that was very liberal with the truth, hopefully he realizes that some of us won't let it
go in challenged.

anzac1957

Post by anzac1957 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:11 am

Jackal wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:33 pm
I was "201" from Trademe and the "sheriff" as you can see took exception to my line
of comment of which I never lost any sleep over. A fraud hiding behind a description
that was very liberal with the truth, hopefully he realizes that some of us won't let it
go in challenged.
Unfortunately, TM don't care..

Suavio

Post by Suavio » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:50 am

The same seller was recently playing the same game with an Omega pocket watch, which he called an "Omega Exhibition" and dated it back to early 1900s. He did confirm it was a recast pocket watch when questioned.

I'd have posted this as a separate thread but the listing is not available at present, and so I simply thought it worth identifying the "sherrif" again for completeness.