Website view for TKNZ using a web browser

kiwi.bloke

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:56 am

Well atleast we've moved from that dark back ground to something lighter. Although personally I've always like the slightly darker blue style (like SCWF).
captainscarlet1

Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:39 pm

I also notice that you can no longer see which registered users are on line on the "board index page". :?: "EDIT" No sooner had I typed the previous out. The names re appeared :thumbup:
Regarding the Tapatalk image problem.......I reckon the TKNZ site should recommend downloading photos directly to the site. Using third party image stores (Or whatever they're called) runs the risk of all images in threads being unavailable if the image store suddenly decides to start charging people to host photos, thereby rendering the thread useless. There is already masses of information missing from various sites due to this issue. I know some are attempting to save the space available on this site, but I wonder at what future cost :think:
Democracy is the worst form of government..........Except for all the others.
kiwi.bloke

Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:51 pm

captainscarlet1 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:39 pm
I also notice that you can no longer see which registered users are on line on the "board index page". :?: "EDIT" No sooner had I typed the previous out. The names re appeared :thumbup:
Regarding the Tapatalk image problem.......I reckon the TKNZ site should recommend downloading photos directly to the site. Using third party image stores (Or whatever they're called) runs the risk of all images in threads being unavailable if the image store suddenly decides to start charging people to host photos, thereby rendering the thread useless. There is already masses of information missing from various sites due to this issue. I know some are attempting to save the space available on this site, but I wonder at what future cost :think:
My preferred way of doing it. Key is the image size. Probably could make it a tad smaller than the 1mb I think it is now. Down to 500kb would still be OK I think. Mine seem to resize down to 300kb or so and still look pretty good when listed.
harlansmart

Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:56 pm

FYI All:
I told you PHPBB is junk and there is little to no support. A lot of people are complaining about this update and also the new Tapatalk update. It isn't just your site. I don't have this issue on Joomla or even WordPress -- updates are tested and they work.

Your forum is 5GB in size. There is no way to 'instantly' do a backup and restore it if there is an issue.

As the site owner you need to start understanding the scope of this problem and help by managing the PR with your users instead of wingeing -- this forum is huge and it still has problems because people you brought in didn't know what they were doing.

I uninstalled over 30 very old modules today. Go look at the Admin logs in the ACP and you will see. These were from versions from years ago. The problem is people were installing extensions without seeing if they will work in the current version of PHPBB. Nuts.

The software is still not working right -- which is why we cannot install really neat templates.
Click on the EXTENSIONS menu item...

I have already created a brand new 'vanilla' install of PHPBB with a template that I paid for.

Here, take a look:
xr3/index.php

The hope is to migrate all of the users and posts into an install that had no problems.

That is a huge amount of work and nobody on the PHPBB forums seems to have ever done it. WTF.

The other possibility is to migrate this whole thing to another platform: Joomla, running Kunena Forum software.

I can roll this one back tomorrow, after I do a backup of the current setup tonight. The forum will then be offline most of the day.
If this is OK then let me know.

This will take hours to do. - Wellington Websites
Harlan
Timekeeper Watch Club
Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth
harlansmart

Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:58 pm

FYI All:
I have been researching the PHPBB to KUNENA migration and nobody has successfully done it without a lot of issues.
So, unless you start from scratch (rebuilding all of the topics again) then it won't work.

The best bet is to migrate the existing site to that brand new install.

The thing is that ANY restore can be a problem. With 5GB of data there is no 100% assurance that it will go without a hitch.
That is why I really don't want to do it. A restore is always the last thing you want to do.

It is a catch-22: if you DON'T upgrade the forum software then you are prone to hacking by assholes.
BUT, if you DO upgrade the software then there is a chance of issues...

It is frustrating for me too and I DO understand this stuff! See?

Tell people to hang in there.
OR, take a POLL -- see if people are willing to start from scratch on a new platform that works and is updateable.

Here is Kunena's own support forum on their website.
It works well --

https://www.kunena.org/forum/index

Wellington Websites
Harlan
Timekeeper Watch Club
Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth
anzac1957

Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:11 pm

Big ups to Michael at Wellington Websites.. new template looks to be functioning and I see a notice that Tapatalk being looked into.. :thumbup:
Hammers

Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:28 pm

Thanks Michael at Wellington websites. All your efforts greatly appreciated.
'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - but lets face it some people have better eyesight than others!