KING SEIKO “52 KS Special” Chronometer (5246-6000)

Don

KING SEIKO “52 KS Special” Chronometer (5246-6000)

Post by Don » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:30 am

This is a past For Sale post from the Market Place section of the forum. The timepiece has been sold, and the post has been edited and moved here for the purpose of providing reference material for forum members.

Of the Seiko vintage high-grades, the 52 Series was the only one that did not equip a Grand Seiko, i.e. “GS52” was never made. This was likely because Daini Seikosha, who produced the 52, wanted to the range-topping 52xx to be a Certified Chronometer. This does not mean that the 52 was not developed to Grand Seiko Standards (“AA” Accuracy of -3/+5 sec per day). On the contrary, there exists a "Grand Seiko 52", except it wasn't released as such, but as the 52 KING SEIKO Special Chronometer (5246-6000).

The 52KS "Special" Chronometer in the monocoque -6000 case is not to be confused with lesser 52KS Chronometers that are more common. The latter are KS (“A” Accuracy Standard) that have been adjusted to chronometer specs and certified as such, while the "KS Special" denotes an AA Accuracy Standard, aka GS Standard, of -3/+5 sec per day. A respected Seiko collector in Japan, Seiya Kobayashi, detailed the history of GS with a postscript stating that he “strongly believes that the 52 King Seiko Chronometer’s quality exceeds that of the Grand Seiko". This has been well-documented and referenced throughout the SEIKO collectors’ communities worldwide.

What gives the 52 Stream monumental significance in SEIKO’s history is the fact that, in the late 90s, the Japanese Manufacture resurrected the 52 and re-designated it the 4S Series. Today, the SEIKO 4S series of high-grade mechanical movements equip luxury-range SEIKO Brightz (4S27, 4S29) and high-end SEIKO Credor (4S76, 4S77). The image below shows the obvious similarities between the Cal 5246A above and current the 4S generation.

An article that I have written in Timekeeper’s Review sub-forum outlines the evolution of the SEIKO 52 Stream: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=763 …Despite the supreme quality of the 4S Series, no current 4S matches the performance and precision of the 52 KS Special Chronometer 5246. While the range-topping 4S76 and 4S77 are adjusted to -10/+15 sec per day, the KS Special Chronometer was tuned to Grand Seiko accuracy grade of -3/+5 sec per day. While those unfamiliar with SEIKO would marvel at the "Chronometer" in the name, SEIKO purists know that it is the “KS Special” (AA Accuracy) designation that exceeds its Chronometer certification.

Within the 52 KS Special Chronometer, SEIKO was able to produce a Grand Seiko and an Officially Certified Chronometer at the same time. All was encased in a beautifully sculptured case with SEIKO’s signature reverse curves, still found on their high-end offerings today. The timepiece on offer today is considered very rare, and this is on the international market level—not many original specimens come up for sale. Most have sadly been redial and over-polished, but even in such condition, they sell in the GS price range. While I am aware of a KS Special Chronometer 5245-6000 (Date-only) here in New Zealand, this example on offer is the only KS Special Chronometer 5246-6000 (Day-Date) that I know to exist in this country.

The tonneau-shaped case makes this piece visually larger than its width measurement would suggest.

SPECIFICATIONS

MOVEMENT: SEIKO Automatic Cal 5246A “Certified Chronometer”, 25 Jewels, Hi-Beat 28’800 A/h, Micro-regulator with external fine adjuster, Auxiliary manual-winding, Hacking, QuickSet Day/Date, Seiko Accuracy Grade AA (GS Standard -3/+5 sec per day)
CASE: Stainless steel one-piece (diameter: 35mm excl crown, lug-to-lug: 39mm, lug-width: 18mm), Water resistant (by specs only)
DIAL: Silver linen-texture, Applied indices (all original)
CRYSTAL: Hardlex
MANUFACTURED: In Japan, January 1971

Don

I may not always see your post, so if you have a question for me, or would like my view on a certain topic, simply start a New Topic on the appropriate sub-forum, then send a PM to alert me.

Hi Beat28

Re: KING SEIKO “52 KS Special” Chronometer (5246-6000)

Post by Hi Beat28 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:32 pm

Two now !!!! I have a very nice one with great dial face and top condition. Keeping very good time. Has day date. Has only small discoloration in the KS on dial face but otherwise excellent. Serial number 10xxxx
Craig..

Don

Re: KING SEIKO “52 KS Special” Chronometer (5246-6000)

Post by Don » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:45 pm

Hi Beat28 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:32 pm
Two now !!!! I have a very nice one with great dial face and top condition. Keeping very good time. Has day date. Has only small discoloration in the KS on dial face but otherwise excellent. Serial number 10xxxx
Craig..
Welcome to TKNZ, Craig, and that's great to hear! :) I would love to see some photos when you have a chance. There is also another 5245-6000 (Date-only) on the forum.
Don

I may not always see your post, so if you have a question for me, or would like my view on a certain topic, simply start a New Topic on the appropriate sub-forum, then send a PM to alert me.