Couple of new beers

Brucy

Mon May 29, 2017 5:55 pm

I've added this to the whisky forum as, well... it's kind of the same pleasurable past time really. Admittedly the solace that can be found in a bottle of whisky is difficult to match anywhere, but Beer's not bad at providing a temporary solution! Mods if it needs to be moved then there is no point spilling beer over it ;)

Bit early in the week but worked all weekend so Monday's as good a day as any. I do like a spot of Earl Grey now and then so I had to try this one from the Yeastie Boys. Decent IPA at the heart of it, with a good amount of strength (6.5%) to give it depth, but that nice bergamot aroma coming through the nose and the back palate makes it a little different, thoroughly enjoyed it and could probably Hoover another couple quite comfortably

The Imperial Nibs on the other hand it a real treacle drop, reminiscent of the days of Tennants super and coming fairly close at 8.5%! If you've tried Gailbraiths Imperial Stout then this is fairly similar, lovely intense flavor to it, but this certainly has the vanilla on the front palate followed by the chocolate on the mid. One bottle enjoyed for what it is, probably wouldn't buy another but not because it wasn't a nice drop, just prefer the Gailbraiths

Token watch, off the wrist so I can completely forget what time it is!

Slainte

deerworrier

Tue May 30, 2017 3:15 pm

Brucy wrote:
but that nice bergamot aroma coming through the nose and the back palate makes it a little different,
:wtf: just how metrosexual are you?
“Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

Despite having the numbers, there is always a crazy man in the mountains that none of the tribes will go near!
Always aim to be that man.
Pauloz

Tue May 30, 2017 3:40 pm

deerworrier wrote:
Brucy wrote:
but that nice bergamot aroma coming through the nose and the back palate makes it a little different,
Hahaha beers have two ratings

1. I like it
2. I don't like it.
I hope, when i die, my wife doesn't sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them.
Brucy

Tue May 30, 2017 11:01 pm

deerworrier wrote:
Brucy wrote:
lol! totally metrosexual...

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201705 ... 8b33e2.png[/IMG]

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201705 ... 507281.png[/IMG]

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201705 ... f6e61f.png[/IMG]

jakem

Wed May 31, 2017 8:46 am

Don't listen to them Brucy - the plebs are just jealous ! :lol:

I spotted the Yeastie Boys Earl Grey in the grog shop the other day so might give that one a whirl.

Keep up the commentary because there is such a SEA of beers available now its actually bloody hard to choose one from the 100m stretch of craft beer shelves at the supermarket, let alone the bottlestore. And lets be honest - a lot of them could perhaps be better described as experiments in brewing rather than anything else !

So : this noble man is actually fulfilling a public service here, sacrificing his valuable time to drink all those beers, saving us our hardearned which otherwise may have been spent on Imperial Nibs which sounds fekkin awful! I'm sure he doesn't want to be drinking them, but he is going the extra distance and forcing those beers down so we do not have to...

Yes its a hard job Brucy, with little reward and or respect even from those you are putting your palate on the line for - but keep up the excellent beer research !! :clap: ;)
My karma ran over your dogma
Brucy

Wed May 31, 2017 2:24 pm

jakem wrote:Don't listen to them Brucy - the plebs are just jealous ! :lol:

I spotted the Yeastie Boys Earl Grey in the grog shop the other day so might give that one a whirl.

Keep up the commentary because there is such a SEA of beers available now its actually bloody hard to choose one from the 100m stretch of craft beer shelves at the supermarket, let alone the bottlestore. And lets be honest - a lot of them could perhaps be better described as experiments in brewing rather than anything else !

So : this noble man is actually fulfilling a public service here, sacrificing his valuable time to drink all those beers, saving us our hardearned which otherwise may have been spent on Imperial Nibs which sounds fekkin awful! I'm sure he doesn't want to be drinking them, but he is going the extra distance and forcing those beers down so we do not have to...

Yes its a hard job Brucy, with little reward and or respect even from those you are putting your palate on the line for - but keep up the excellent beer research !! :clap: ;)
Jake, you are gentleman and a scholar Image

Not many can join those ranks of bergamot sipping masculine role models that set a bench mark of style and sophistication! Adding to those photos above stand Al Pacino, Jack Nicholson, Pierce Brosnan, Mick Jagger, Jimi Hendrix, Dean Martin... maybe David Beckham... I'm sure posh like the smell of bergamot in the morning

If that's not enough I can think of no reason why I would turn down a cuppa if offered... well maybe my wife Image but it was just for the bergamot aroma... honest!

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201705 ... 25c248.png[/IMG]

I will continue with my journey of penance, sacrificing my brain cells and waistline in the interests of better public knowledge!

You are absolutely correct though, there is a mile of craft beers out there and at almost $10 a bottle or often much more you don't want a duff beer.
Brucy

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:53 pm

Ok, this weeks beers!

A story of two Ale's...

I thoroughly enjoyed both of these for very different reasons. The Shakespeare's a mild pale ale that really works as a drinking ale Image you could quite comfortably have a session on this one, at 4.5% it packs plenty of flavour for what is essential a lightish ale as most these days range above 6.0%. It has a biscuity cereal flavour to it, tight carbonation and is very easy to drink.

If you know the number 8 wired brewery you'll know they deliver great beer! It's often at the top end price wise though and I'm a big fan of their istout. The tall poppy doesn't disappoint, full flavour, big bold creamy caramel with a nice viscosity to it that lasts the length of the drink. At 7.0% a few bottles and you'll be fairly in the way, so it's more a drink you can limit at two I would say as one just isn't enough!

Thumbs up for both of these Image
Brucy

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:17 pm

Lewis Road & Moa Beer Image

This little beauty is what you get when you take the purveyors of the finest chocolate milk and a jolly good beer and mix the pair together!

If your a bit of a stout fellow, like myself Image your either like milk / chocolate stouts or you don't... seems to be very little middle ground. I fall into the camp that quite enjoys them and when I saw this combination, damn it was hard to resist Image

It's a deliciously creamy stout with definite notes of cacao and vanilla with a hint of liquorice.

Delightful on its own or indulge with some vanilla ice cream... from Lewis Road of course

LeroyC

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:31 am

Spotted this on sale at NW last week and grabbed it on a whim. Tried it last night and was pleasantly surprised. For some reason I thought it might be a more subdued ale, almost lager like, but it definitely wasn’t. There’s tasting notes on the label, but I never read them before I drink anything as I don’t want to prejudice my own thoughts. Gotta say they were actually quite accurate for this one though when I checked them after finishing the bottle (and wishing I had another one). It’s a cool bottle too. A bit bigger at 375ml and comes with a champagne style cork in the top. It’s seriously bulky as well so it feels bigger in your hand. I’d rate this as a very nice, modern, NZ ale. Highly recommended.

Brucy

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:53 am

Thanks for the notes Leroy Imagesaw that the other day... will grab a bottle or 2 ;) for a try
LeroyC

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:35 pm

Sarbie

Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:12 pm

LeroyC wrote:Earned. TFIF.

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201711 ... 6610f8.jpg[/IMG]
Ha ha. TFIF. Rainy Saturday = music and keeping close to the beer tap Image. It's really bloody hard to get a photo of your watch while holding a beverage.
Guess I could of left the watch out considering your thread.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201711 ... 5cb25b.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

the gold bracelet thing was my dads necklace he gave me before he died...but i dont like things round ma neck
Sarbie

Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:18 pm

Pauloz wrote:
deerworrier wrote:
Brucy wrote:
Hahaha beers have two ratings

1. I like it
2. I don't like it.
Clearly you have not had enough beers soberImage

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

the gold bracelet thing was my dads necklace he gave me before he died...but i dont like things round ma neck