Watch servicing

Jwax

Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:17 pm

Hi Omega ppl,

Well I think it's about time my moonwatch gets a service. It's about 5 years old now and one of the sub dials is doing something funny.

My question to you all is what have been your servicing experiences like? And what have they cost? I have been debating if I just want the movement serviced or have a complete overhaul. I found out the latter cost $1200 at Nairns in Auckland, but since they are the authorised Omega agent that will be the benchmark.

Thanks in advance for comments and recommendations..

Jwax
Horos

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:30 am

The Moonwatch is a simple enough watch to service, any truly competent watchmaker can handle it. I suggest Watches on Broadway,WatchWorld,Precision Watch Co. Pilbrows in Taupo. All able to do the job to the highest standards, for a more competitive price.
harlansmart

Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:50 am

Jwax - quite a good question this will post my 2 cents worth & flick you a PM.

The watch may or may not, require a service, they're (like Horos states) incredibly robust movements, well designed including thought placed on servicing / adjustment whatnot, while it is not ever going to be priced under $100 like changing the entire module (movement) in your G-Shock it is not difficult or expensive to service & 50:50 your one requires a tweak / adjustment only.

The 'Benchmark': interesting, if you could access the exact same watchmaker (including say his teacher / instructor etc) that the 'Benchmark' used, via another chanel for say half the cost, what would that mean, would there be '2 Benchmarks' :lol:

PM Sent to Jwax
Harlan
Timekeeper Watch Club
Auckland, New Zealand, Pacific Ocean, Earth
Harry

Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:52 pm

PM if you still need a recommendation, I know of someone who can service this in Auckland for probably $100-150
Jwax

Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:56 pm

Sorry for a very late reply to those of you who are interested in what happened to my speedy..

I ended up sending my watch to Blair at watches on broadway who was recommend to me by a few different ppl. He has however moved to Rotorua to set up shop and has sold the business to Sam who has worked with him at WOB.

The movement service cost $650 and $149 for a (genuine Omega) lower pivot for the chrono that was broken as mentioned. I did not go for the full polish ($200) as I preferred to let the watch age. This is all covered for 1 year. Needles to say the watch is running mint. It was an expensive exercise that I hope not to do too often, but its just part of the cost of the hobby. Also the service took 6 weeks and I was tempted many times with other watches while it was gone 😂